PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

new to the forum and potentially picking up my first ranger tomorrow. I am going to look at a 2005 700xp. It has 900 hours on it and seems to be in great shape. Single owner who was an older couple. I will be using this at a hunting property almost entirely.

2 questions.

#1 is 900 hours a lot? Doesn’t seem like much for this age but I have no clue.

#2 will this fit on a 5x12 trailer at least to get it back to my house? I am planning on purchasing at least a 6x16 but haven’t gotten around to that yet. Just wondering if it’ll make it on my 5x12 or if I need to figure something else out.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
4,156 Posts
More important than the number of hours is whether regular maintenance has been performed. Before buying see if the seller can provide documentation of regular service at required intervals. Looks can tell a story but it's pretty easy to polish a turd and make it look good for a sale. Perform your due diligence before buying. Drive it, put it through it's paces in all ranges and gears have a look at the spark plug and oil at a minimum. A cylinder leak down test is much better if you can perform one. A fresh oil change scares me because used oil tells a story by showing metallic flakes in the oil when viewed in sunlight. Fresh oil doesn't always mean bad things but it can be a red flag. I think I'd also pull the fill plugs of the front dif and transmission after driving it and have a look at the fluids. Grab the wheels and try to move them back and forth at both the 3 & 9 o'clock as well as the 12 and 6 o'clock positions. You're looking for worn wheel bearings or bushings. Look for signs of it being run in deep water often and any effects on the electrical system. Look for patched wiring. Load test the battery. A weak battery isn't a deal breaker but it may be a bargaining point for price. A new good one will cost in the neighborhood of $100. Drive it with all lights and accessories on and check the voltage during the drive. Normal is about 13.2 to 14.5 volts. If the reading isn't in that ballpark you may be looking a a regulator and/or stator replacement ($$). If the seller objects to a thorough inspection it's a red flag for me.

Reactions: joemweb

· Administrator
8,062 Posts
codeman, 900 hours is not a 'lot' of hours but it has been around a while. Pyromedic has given you a wealth of information on what to check because @ 900 hours it could need a 'lot' of stuff replaced if it hasn't been maintained.

Just one last thing that is not a deal killer but the 2005 700 has the dreaded PDM (power distribution module) under the hood on the passenger side. (Aluminum box with fins) these are spendy and right now are not available from POLARIS PARTS . This box controls much of electrical functions on the 2005 & 2006 700's It was discontinued at the end of the 2006 700 production year and was WISELY replaced with fuses,relays, breakers and a real voltage regulator in place of the solid state krap in the PDM. These pdm's regularly (about every three years) fail . If the PDM does not burn itself up, there is a company called MODULE MASTERS that will repair them for $150.00 and give you a (5) year warranty.

That is a nice looking 2005 700 though. If you buy it just keep MODULE MASTERS in your ROLODEX..

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
codeman, 900 hours is not a 'lot' of hours but it has been around a while. Pyromedic has given you a wealth of information on what to check because @ 900 hours it could need a 'lot' of stuff replaced if it hasn't been maintained.

Just one last thing that is not a deal killer but the 2005 700 has the dreaded PDM (power distribution module) under the hood on the passenger side. (Aluminum box with fins) these are spendy and right now are not available from POLARIS PARTS . This box controls much of electrical functions on the 2005 & 2006 700's It was discontinued at the end of the 2006 700 production year and was WISELY replaced with fuses,relays, breakers and a real voltage regulator in place of the solid state krap in the PDM. These pdm's regularly (about every three years) fail . If the PDM does not burn itself up, there is a company called MODULE MASTERS that will repair them for $150.00 and give you a (5) year warranty.

That is a nice looking 2005 700 though. If you buy it just keep MODULE MASTERS in your ROLODEX..
That’s for the heads up on the pdm. So was 2007 the first years without that?

· Administrator
8,062 Posts
That’s for the heads up on the pdm. So was 2007 the first years without that?
Yes. The 2007 700 and up has the normal breakers/relays/ fuses & voltage regulator..

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that one got away before I could pull the trigger. So it’s back to shopping. This will mostly be used around a hunting property so I’m not looking to spend a lot. Seems like in my area the 04-09 500s and 700s are what is in my price range.

any major difference or pros/cons to any of those years? I’m going to look at a real clean 04 500 today with just under 500 hours

· Administrator
8,062 Posts
code, just fyi, it is hard to find parts for the 2004 and older Rangers. I would stick to the 2007, 08, 09... Heavy on the 07 and 08.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
code, just fyi, it is hard to find parts for the 2004 and older Rangers. I would stick to the 2007, 08, 09... Heavy on the 07 and 08.
Good to know. Is the pdm an issue on the 05 500? I have one of those close to me in good shape with a windshield, roof, light bar and winch with 395 hours for 4k that I might look at as well. The 04 500 has just under 500 hours with none of those accessories but he’s only asking 3200

· Registered
‘17 Ranger 570 Midsize
1,345 Posts
There also seems to be some 570s in the same general price range. Would that be a good option? I seem some of those labeled mid size. What’s the difference there?
A 570 is a more modern engine with significantly more hp than a 500. I'm not sure what models you are wanting to compare, but my midsize has served me well. The 570 midsize all have Profit ROPs from what I understand.

Reactions: Jungleman

· Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
4,156 Posts
I have no experience with the 500, 700 or 800 engines but I can tell you that I own a 2015 570 which has been very reliable. I've done nothing to it other than the required routine maintenance. Sooner or later I'll probably need to adjust the valves and I would say that is probably the only maintenance I really dread. The 570 is a DOHC 4 valve engine and required shims for valve adjustment rather than a simple rocker arm adjustment. The work itself doesn't appear to be that difficult but the parts can be expensive and if you do it yourself you'll probably require at least a couple of days to complete the task because you'll have to figure out which shims (buckets) you need and then go buy them.

As a point of information, not that it's a deal breaker in any way is that in 2014 the 570 had 40 HP and in 2015 onward the HP was upped to 44.

The Profit chassis is definitely worthwhile as there are lots of options for accessories both from Polaris and aftermarket. I don't know about the 2014 but the 2015 shared a chassis with the 900s with minor changes for engine/transmission fitment.

· Registered
2008 Polaris Ranger 700 XP 4x4 EFI
196 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
I bought a 04 500 that was used real hard and abused as much about 3 years ago. Had no trouble getting parts, used &/or new from after market or other sources. I had no brakes on the rear, just where the rotors had been, etc. Had over 1135 hours on a non working hour meter. Motor was week from the start and finally gave out last year after replacing the cam in the old one. Got a 500 engine with 555miles on it. Good strong runner and made the 500 into a good hard working acreage machine. Don't be afraid of the 500 with all due respect to Jungleman as he is a wealth of information. Power Sports Nation is a good source for a lot of good used parts.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Holy smokes what a process. Most that I have been interested in are gone before I can get to them as none have been particularly close. Finally going to look at one 30 minutes away now. 2007 700xp. 5500 miles. 990 hours. One owner just been used around the farm. He’s asking $5900 but I think I can get him down. Thoughts?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Wheel Tire Car Automotive tire Vehicle

· Registered
2008 Polaris Ranger 700 XP 4x4 EFI
196 Posts
Its clean looking at least, for the shape and mileage, as well as having a windshield and roof. His price is about right on. I bought an 08 700 for 2k, But it was beat. and Ill probably have about another 3k in mine by the time im done fixing mine up.

· Administrator
8,062 Posts
Same deal Code, with the hours on this machine, if the maintaining has been kept up with on the things that ALWAYS wear that include :
ball joints, wheel bearings, u-joints (4) , suspension bushings ................these costs add up fast.... then if the gear case and crankcase have had regular fluid changes including air and oil filter, then go for it...

It is always about the maintenance when looking to buy a used Ranger... Ask if they have kept any records ... 990 hours is not bad but it is plenty of WEAR time..

Reactions: pyromedic
1 - 20 of 24 Posts