PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey been lurking for a week decided to join. I am buying a new 900. What is everyone's thoughts on the power steering. Is it a nice upgrade for the $1000 bucks or should I save my money. The machine will mostly be used around farm and in the woods cutting and hualing. With a little trail riding here and there.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Welcome to PRC.

The power steering is worth every penny. There was a time when I owned my '06 that I would have commented differently, but after owning my RZR with EPS, I'll never own another machine without it.

Unfortunately,you can't give it a fair shake by driving around the parking lot to test it, because a non-EPS machine will drive just fine on asphalt. You won't truly appreciate it until you're out in the woods.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Welcome to the big show Drago. And, like the Commander says, EPS is worth every penny. Do you have power steering in your car/truck? Ever want to be without it?:glee::encouragement:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'll be the grumpy old man in this thread. I could take or leave EPS. I think it certainly makes it easier to turn the steering wheel and that's the reason I bought it. My father has MS so anything that makes it easier for him to drive the Ranger is a good thing. But I think a lot of the road feel is lost because of it. When I'm in odd terrain I'm not really sure what the front wheels are doing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the big show Drago. And, like the Commander says, EPS is worth every penny. Do you have power steering in your car/truck? Ever want to be without it?:glee::encouragement:
Hahaha yes I have a 97 2500 dodge ram that currently has no power steering (will once I fix it) but that is a heavy machine and I can manage it. I am leaning towards the power steering.

Thanks for everyones thoughts. Anyone not get power steering and looking back wish they would have?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I never drove a Ranger with PS, so I cannot compare. I have an 07 Ranger that I mainly use for working around the cabin and plowing snow - power steering might be 'nice' to have, but I never felt that I needed it. I may change my tune if I ever drove a Range with PS, but if I was ever looking to replace my ride, my choice wouldn't be affected either way if it had PS or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Skyjocky, good points. But it WILL effect your decision if you ever buy a new one. $1000 bucks extra for it.

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Have an '11 800XP without PS - I laughed at those that said it was a must have. Then I added another buggy that happened to have PS and like Jerry said, I'll never have another one without it. No more jammed thumbs or having the wheel jerked out of my grip by a rut or root and at the end of a tough ride, no more heating pads and Advil for sore shoulders. ...now, if I can just find a way to put PS on my wheelbarrow, mower, tiller, and my treadmill...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I find chasing cows with PS much easier verse playing cowboy the old fashion way with no power steering. Like the guys above have said once you have it you will never go back.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Definitely power steering. I had both and would not go without again..

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Have an '11 800XP without PS - I laughed at those that said it was a must have. Then I added another buggy that happened to have PS and like Jerry said, I'll never have another one without it. No more jammed thumbs or having the wheel jerked out of my grip by a rut or root and at the end of a tough ride, no more heating pads and Advil for sore shoulders. ...now, if I can just find a way to put PS on my wheelbarrow, mower, tiller, and my treadmill...
And that right there is reason enough. Not long after I got my '06, I bumped a trailside rock (large rock) at around 15 mph and nearly broke my thumb. I struggled driving it out of the woods that day, but I learned a valuable lesson......where to NOT have my thumbs (inside the steering wheel) when driving the Ranger.

·
Registered
376 Posts
This my first ever atv/utv, and it has EPS. I like it, and if you itemized the cost of each component, we would probably be pedaling them like a bicycle. My wife drives ours and I like it for her benefit. I prefer neither of us end up as a friend with her thumb in a soft cast for some weeks after her buggy hit something that unexpectedly spun the steering wheel with her thumb caught in it. It took her a while to start for some help. She said she had to first get her breath, and stop screaming and puking at the same time. She would say yes on EPS.

Reactions: Expat

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
The #1 reason for power steering, it makes your beer drinking far easier!

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
The #1 reason for power steering, it makes your beer drinking far easier!
Well, I wasn't gonna go there, but since you mentioned it...........:very_drunk:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm cheap, when i bought mine I got it without PS. In the Summer time when I use it around the yard it's really no problem. In the Winter time with the Snow Plow on it sure would be nice to have.

As others have said as well, add a situation where one or both hands are comprised a little for what ever reason and it sure would be nice to have.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Cant beat this

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm cheap, when i bought mine I got it without PS. In the Summer time when I use it around the yard it's really no problem. In the Winter time with the Snow Plow on it sure would be nice to have.

As others have said as well, add a situation where one or both hands are comprised a little for what ever reason and it sure would be nice to have.
Dido!

Beer in other hand... Dido

I kinda wish I would have gotten the PS, especially when plowing or in slow speed tight maneuvering situations.

All being equal ..... 900 without PS or 800 with PS?.... Find a way to get the extra money! You don't want an 800 with a hot seat and all the other BS old design problems.

Du

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've had a few without it. My current rig has it. It is not a necessity but it is really nice!

·
Vendor
1,653 Posts
I've had both and will never go back either. EPS is worth every single penny.

Not all 800s have heat issues, we have one that has been absolutely perfect. BUT if I were buying new today, I'd look at a full size 570 or 900 with EPS.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The EPS is awesome!
Wouldn't buy another machine without it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts