PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, new to the group and am unable to find much info on my problem.

2015 Ranger 570 fullsize EPS, no mods.

AWD will engage in forward gear, in reverse the prop shaft will turn but front diff will not send power to front wheels.

Any help troublrshooting would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Welcome Hockey .... "but front diff will not send power to front wheels." in reverse. Forward yes.....reverse no... I would suspect the Sprague (roller cage) If it were me , I would dump the Demand Drive fluid and check for small chunks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will try that to see if there are any filings etc.

I read on another post that it might have to do with the gear shift linkage and the ECM not seeing that it is in reverse, but i assume that if that were the case here then i would not have the propel shaft turning in reverse.

·
Super Moderator
6,708 Posts

I read on another post that it might have to do with the gear shift linkage and the ECM not seeing that it is in reverse, but i assume that if that were the case here then i would not have the propel shaft turning in reverse.
Prop shaft is mechanical, turns all the time unless the Snorkle Gear is busted.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Would it be the same on an 05? Was stuck in cow s**t soup the other day and seemed like front wheels weren't powered in rev, but im low they were.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Would it be the same on an 05? Was stuck in cow s**t soup the other day and seemed like front wheels weren't powered in rev, but im low they were.
The best way to tell if you really have a problem with the front gearcase is to get all four wheels up on jack stands and engage .
The Hilliard "ON DEMAND" function is basically the same in all 4X Rangers.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts

Hockey,you didnt mention it but I assume the indicator is indicating ?? Is it not ?

·
Registered
5,285 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK so I just did a test in AWD, 2WD and turf mode and front wheels are pulling in all 3 modes, leads me to believe there is something jammed in front diff, still not sure why the front wheels are not pulling in reverse. Guess I will be taking apart the diff.....

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
OK so I just did a test in AWD, 2WD and turf mode and front wheels are pulling in all 3 modes, leads me to believe there is something jammed in front diff, still not sure why the front wheels are not pulling in reverse. Guess I will be taking apart the diff.....
"leads me to believe there is something jammed in front diff, still not sure why the front wheels are not pulling in reverse. " I would drain the fluid and check for chunks of the roll cage.. Continuing to 'test' it can do further damage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK so finally had time to check fluid. There was so very fine filings and it was a little dirty but no chunks of anything. Removed diff and opened it. the only thing out of place was the torsion spring seemed to be overlapped and there was a little damage to the torsion spring retainer (plastic).

Could this be the problem? I did have the hub sub assembly replaced about 10 months ago by a technician, it is possible that this problem has been happening since then as I don't ride this machine into many "stuck" situations and just have not noticed it not working in reverse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
had the diff looked at and all looks good. tested the coil and it is within specs for resistance - +/- 24 ohms, checked voltage at plug and should have around 11 volts when AWD switched on, I have 8.9 volts all the time when switch is in all 3 positions AWD/2WD/TURF. Tested the switch itself and all looks good.
are there any other sensors or switches that would affect this operation or should i be tracing wires for a ground / break?

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Hockey, trying to make sense of your dilemma here . According to earlier posts, your differential operates properly in 4WD going forward but not in reverse. You said the gear and 4WD indicators are indicating Other than the cage , there shouldn't be any other factors that I can think of that would cause a front differential drive snafu in 4WD in reverse when it is functioning 'perfectly properly' going forward. Just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It makes no sense to me either. The diff and all components look good and appear to operate normally on the bench. As stated in my last post it seems to be electrical, there should only be power on the coil when in AWD mode, but it looks like I am getting 8.9 volts at the plug in all modes, from what I have read, the ECM changes the ground to diff depending on mode, there should be 12 volts on the "hot" wire continuously and it only completes the circuit when the ECM completes the ground. Makes me think there is a ground fault somewhere in the wiring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update. Had a tech friend look at wiring, we checked rear diff solenoid and relay, unplugged connections tested and cleaned them and plugged everything back in. Plugged front diff into system and did manual test and everything seems to be working normally. Only explanation is dirt or loose connection in one or more of the harness points.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts