PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
‘17 Ranger 570 Midsize
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure some of my axles etc are covered with ice. Is that enough to make a noisy Ranger 4x4. In 4x2, it doesn't make the same noise. I've had to run more in 4x4 because the snow melted and turned to ice. I do have chains on the way, but I was surprised I needed them. The past three years 4x2 was fine.

What should I check that would make it noisy only in 4x4?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Prop shaft. Splines, yokes and u-joint/cv depending on what model. Kind of a growling noise?

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
‘17 Ranger 570 Midsize
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2017 Midsize 570 in my signature with MMA lift. I don't know about growl, but vibration.

·
Administrator
7,400 Posts
Jim, how long since you have replaced driveline ujoints ? The drive shafts on these Rangers were not exactly engineered by NASA .

Reactions: wwg1wga

·
Registered
‘17 Ranger 570 Midsize
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim, how long since you have replaced driveline ujoints ? The drive shafts on these Rangers were not exactly engineered by NASA .
I haven’t replaced them. Will they feel loose? I assume so.

·
Administrator
7,400 Posts
I haven’t replaced them. Will they feel loose? I assume so.
Grab & jerk....to & fro.................. (the drive shafts :)

• Haha
Reactions: wwg1wga

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've needed to run more in 4x4 in light of the fact that the snow liquefied and went to ice. I in all actuality do have chains on the way, yet I was astonished I really wanted them. The beyond three years 4x2 was fine.
What would it be a good idea for me to make sure that would make it boisterous just in 4x4?

·
Registered
115 Posts
#338 U joints from any reputable auto parts house will get you going. I like Precision brand, and I get the greasable type. I've found that most of the time it's the front joint that's gone south.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts