PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I disassembled the rear today to check the CVs. Problem is that the drive shaft came out, but the inner CV stay attached to the transmission. I have tried chain around the cup and yanking, no luck. I have tried a ratchet strap around the cup, tighten it and bounce the lower arm; no luck. I've tried wooden wedges, no luck. Any tips? Can it be driven out from the other side if I take the other drive shaft out?

Colin, in the middle of nowhere in Africa...

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Colin, attach a slide hammer to that chain and hammer away and soak that shaft going in with copious amounts of LIQUID WRENCH . Always use NEVER SEZE on the axle splines going back in. Go to 4:55

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw that tool and think it has promise, trying to avoid the 2 hour drive to town.... Getting real close to putting the shaft back in the inner CV and just taking it the two hours to town and letting the shop figure it out...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I've watched just about every video on YouTube concerning getting these out and none of them that I can try have worked. It is currently soaking with our version of WD40 with tension from a ratchet strap, fingers crossed. I think the answer is the slide hammer solutions, slide hammers are 2 hours away though...

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Make your own slide hammer from a piece of round steel rod and a heavy truck wrist pin and weld the rod directly to the CV. The impact will be more effective than going through a chain first.
Weld a bolt with the same thread as a commercial slide hammer and use a coupling nut to attach the two together for the same effect.

·
Registered
523 Posts
No. Don't try this. It will cause more problems.
I have to disagree. Taking the opposite axle out and hitting the stuck axle with a long punch and hammer is very effective. That being said, one has to be sure that the end of the stuck axle is visible from the opposite side. The OP didn't specify the model so we don't know if this technique is possible on his machine. A lot of Sportsmans have transmissions where this option is available but most, but not all, Rangers do not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not specify the model, that is my fault. It is a 2015 900XP purchased NOS in 2017, it has 850hrs and 13128km at this time. I have admitted defeat, reinstalled the shaft in the inner CV and just need to torque axle nuts and lugs in the morning. It's going to the shop to sort out the ratcheting sound that sometimes occurs when you start moving in reverse. Now I just have to figure out what I will get around in when it is in the shop....

·
Registered
2020 highlifter crew
41 Posts
Do at your own risk here but.. If you jack up rear of the bike, lock your diff in and put it in low range and have someone give it a little throttle to start moving the drivetrain, as the stuck axle is spinning, take a pry bar or wedge of some sort or chizel and hammer it in between stuck axle and housing, it will usually walk axle out of diff.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Do at your own risk here but.. If you jack up rear of the bike, lock your diff in and put it in low range and have someone give it a little throttle to start moving the drivetrain, as the stuck axle is spinning, take a pry bar or wedge of some sort or chizel and hammer it in between stuck axle and housing, it will usually walk axle out of diff.
Errrrrr, This procedure would probably work on your "bike" as long as your insurance is paid up and you wear proper safety gear etc but I WOULD NEVER TRY THIS ON A RANGER or any other motorized vehicle............

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2001 Polaris Sportsman 335 that I could not remove the cup. Tried everything, even made 2 of the tools, put one on each side, put chains on them and pulled from both sides with tractors while smacking the cups with a hammer, they wouldn't budge.

Finally gave up, disassembled my new cv joints and installed the guts into my old cup. Not a great fix, but got rid of most of the slop.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
f, that was one stuck mutha ! It helps tremendously to soak the stuck splined input shafts with Liquid Wrench several times and then allow them to sit overnight before hooking up the Massey Ferguson's :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
f, that was one stuck mutha ! It helps tremendously to soak the stuck splined input shafts with Liquid Wrench several times and then allow them to sit overnight before hooking up the Massey Ferguson's :)
I did. Only tried the tractor thing after about 3-4 weeks of beating and soaking with penetrating oil. I had those chains tight between the tractors and was whacking on the hubs with a long handled hammer. Was about to just start pulling with a tractor until something gave...came loose, broke, whatever, I was getting aggravated and really didn't care... then decided that was a stupid idea...if one popped loose it would probably come flying out at my head while I was on the tractor.

Oh, and those are Ford's, not Massey's.;)

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
f, just remember, nothing runs like a Deere.....:alien:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts