PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

ser/ringtailrowdy/media/nutmachine005.jpg.html]
[/URL]
This is what I use to get the hulls off of hickory nuts. It is like a pitching machine for hickory nuts. The wheels compress and shoot the nuts down into the backstop. This knocks the hulls off and they then fall into the water below. I have two treys set up below the back stop. The good nuts sink to the bottom of the first trey and the hulls and bad nuts float which I collect in the second trey and discard. I then can remove the first trey and sort through nuts to check for worm holes. I then can put in a sack for shipment. I use a bucket with the bottom cut out to hold the sack open. I place the sack around the out side of the bucket and into a ring with chains welded on to. The bucket stays in place on the ring and the chains support the sack to hold the weight. There is room for improvement in this system but things are going fairly well.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
That's pretty ingenious.

So I have to ask, is there a big market for HICKORY nuts? I don't think I've ever seen them for sale in the store.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes their is Jerry, a large market for shag bark hickory or also known as ( king nut ). My buddy who loaned me his Bag-A-Nut machine (the green thing on the trailer) , is the registered agent for tree seed which covers 5 surrounding states. This means all D.N.R. and tree nurseries go through him for tree seed. Because the shag bark hickory can withstand such extreme weather conditions and flooding it is a perfect choice for the nurseries. He has 5 figure lbs. orders for this year. This is our year that the shag bark bears its nuts in our area. The shag bark bears every other year , so next year your have to drive to another region to find an nuts.
Helping a friend is my main purpose for doing this. The work is hard on me but , I am out in the woods , and that is the plus side. I did make easier on my self and mowed around the tress that I collect under. This allows me to use the Bag-A-Nut machine. That thing is awesome and saves me a ton of time and effort. I like the machine so much that I am going to be a dealer for the company. I have to sell 4 or more machines a year to keep up as a dealer. I am going to buy two machines this year myself.
Thanks for asking , Rodney!

Reactions: mustangwagz

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Dood Awesome design! thats neat!!

You'll crap your pants...but i cut those damn tree's down and burn em! lol They are GREAT firewood. When seasoned, ive gotten some of the best burn times outta shag bark hickory that ive ever seen. and the BTU's are insane. last time i had one, i was getting 12+ hours outta 2 pieces. Thats insane for a non-catalytic wood burner. Not to mention, the tree's burn up super clean. lol Yah i know.. WTF you thinkin wagz!??!

I can vouch for ya about the producing of nuts 1 year, and not the next. This year was the year that we didnt have any hickory nuts falling on our heads so next year the squirrels will be here terrorizing my dog. hahaha.

ANOTHER idea for ya...how about ya come up with a way to pulverize the shells and bad nuts into small pieces..say...1/2" crunched up pieces and send me a box full of them..i wander how well they'd burn in my pellet stove? (yes ive got a pellet stove and a HUGE fire breathing wood burner...haha)

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We use to use the hickory nut hulls in our char-coal grill when BBQing.
I though about selling the hulls to my local butcher shop for smoking sausage with. The hulls are hard to keep burning unless you have a good hot fire to burn the moisture out of them. I know the wood when dry will snap crackle and pop when burning.
I can send you a box if you want to pay the shipping.
Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
619 Posts
That is a sweet set up. I am going to check out the bag a nut machine for my yard clean up. I have a black walnut tree that makes a huge mess every fall. It takes hours to clean up the mess.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wagz , the hickory nut hulls are about 2 inches long and very in thickness 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. They bust up fairly easy with a hammer or lay them out and drive over them. No charge for hulls just shipping cost.

Carl , their are many models available for different size nuts. They even have models for picking up brass shell casings. I can send you a PM with more information if you would like. I would be happy to assist you in the purchase of a Bag-A-Nut unit. The unit that is in the photo's is designed for black wall nuts.
Thank You Rodney!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Rodney,

I actually researched it last night and watched a couple videos....looks like it is an amazing machine. The price is a little high, but this is one of those situations that you get what you pay for. I have already sent the info up to the wife to she what she thinks. Seeing that she helps me clean up the mess....I will bet you we will have one of these in the shed by next fall...

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me know carl , I sure will answer an questions that you might have.
I am just starting out selling these things so, my discount is not that much.

Thanks Rodney!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts