PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part Item #2878844 for 2014 Polaris Ranger 900 XP problems. The bolts are sheering off at the head and I have lost four of the eight aluminum brackets used to hold the A-arm guard in place. Has anyone else had this problem and more importantly do you know how to fix the problem so it doesn't happen again. Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
6,838 Posts
Part Item #2878844 for 2014 Polaris Ranger 900 XP problems. The bolts are sheering off at the head and I have lost four of the eight aluminum brackets used to hold the A-arm guard in place. Has anyone else had this problem and more importantly do you know how to fix the problem so it doesn't happen again. Thanks for any help.

The A arm guards, Polaris part# 2878844 are not a direct bolt on for the 2014/2015 Ranger XP. Polaris states they have to be modified, was this stated in your installation instructions? (Not sure how)
Look for any signs of where the guard may be contacting other areas, such as the lower part of the frame, Upper A arm etc.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
If they are not contacting the frame or upper A-arm as mentioned above, I would try using grade 8 bolts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It appears that the aluminum bracket that is half moon shape that has thread cut in it for the bolt is being wobbled out due to vibration then the head snaps off the bolt. To me it looks like a poor design. The rear guard are still tight and in good shape. I can't seem to find just the front brackets anywhere. If I can get the brackets I will put grade 8 bolt in then a lock nut to hold the assembly tight. No modifications were done that I know of, they were just taken from the box and put on while I was watching. Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
6,838 Posts
It appears that the aluminum bracket that is half moon shape that has thread cut in it for the bolt is being wobbled out due to vibration then the head snaps off the bolt. To me it looks like a poor design. The rear guard are still tight and in good shape. I can't seem to find just the front brackets anywhere. If I can get the brackets I will put grade 8 bolt in then a lock nut to hold the assembly tight. No modifications were done that I know of, they were just taken from the box and put on while I was watching. Thanks for your help.
Polaris states as a side note to the A arm accessory part number, that modifications are required for proper fitment before installing on a Ranger XP 2014/2015.
I am assuming they were installed by a dealer?
Do you have the installation instructions?
The instructions will provide you with the modification requirements as well as some part numbers that make up the A arm accessory.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, if there was instructions for modification, they gone and I guess I will need a copy to make the repair. If those instructions contain the individual part numbers for the brackets, then I hope I can order them from polaris. Do you have any idea how I can get a copy of those instructions? Thanks again. My dealer said he would check around and see what he could find out, but it doesn't sound to promising.

·
Super Moderator
6,838 Posts
I have the installation instructions for the Aarm guards, but did not receive the amended version with the modification or the component list.
Still working on this, it has me curious.

Your dealer has access to this information, it is easy for them to lookup on their computer if they want to help you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok after some research, I have finally solved the problem. The installation of the aluminum A arm protectors include the drilling out the rivets and removal of the plastic guards that are attached to the A arm. Then the aluminum A arm guards can be installed. I had lost several of the aluminum brackets that came with the guards so instead I used one inch conduit clamps and bent them around the A arm bars and used a bigger bolt, washer and lock nut to secure the guard to the A arm. By bending the hangers around the bottom of the bar when they are tightened it keeps everything secure. I will go back and check and retighten if neccessary.
Believe the plastic guards allowed enough play to loosen the orininal brackets and vibration then snapped the head of the bolts off of the OEM installation. Hope this may help if any one else has this problem.

·
Super Moderator
6,838 Posts
Ok after some research, I have finally solved the problem. The installation of the aluminum A arm protectors include the drilling out the rivets and removal of the plastic guards that are attached to the A arm. Then the aluminum A arm guards can be installed. I had lost several of the aluminum brackets that came with the guards so instead I used one inch conduit clamps and bent them around the A arm bars and used a bigger bolt, washer and lock nut to secure the guard to the A arm. By bending the hangers around the bottom of the bar when they are tightened it keeps everything secure. I will go back and check and retighten if neccessary.
Believe the plastic guards allowed enough play to loosen the orininal brackets and vibration then snapped the head of the bolts off of the OEM installation. Hope this may help if any one else has this problem.
I have the part numbers for the components that make up the A arm guards. I just never figured what modification had to be done before installation on 14/15's.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have them on my 2013 and I thought they fit great but our factory cv guards are different.

·
Super Moderator
6,838 Posts
I have them on my 2013 and I thought they fit great but our factory cv guards are different.
There is an update for installation of the Polaris aluminum A arm guards for the 14/15 Rangers. Polaris states modifications are required for them to fit. I have all information for this except the amended instructions for the modification.
They fit the 13' without modifications.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts