PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Ranger 800 XP oil dipstick has become a real bear to remove and replace. I have to hold on to the dipstick tube to pull it out and check the oil and to put it back in it's the same thing. It locks fine and I have it unlocked when I try to remove it....has anyone had this problem ? maybe a new dipstick might solve it. There is no damage to the tube at all. Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just did my 2,000 mile oil change and checking the fill level after was a real pain. I guess I will try to shave off a bit of the top of the dip stick plastic and see if I can get this problem fixed. So I can get the dip stick in and out easier and still lock.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Just doesn't sound right that you'd have to modify anything. Have you asked your dealer about it? Has it always been difficult?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
The dipstick on my 2010 XP/LE has always been difficult to remove. Goes in just fine. I think is snags at the bottom when it comes out. It is a pain in the butt and has been from day one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Bill for mentioning your Polaris has the same problem sort of ? mine is both removing and replacing the dipstick. The problem started at around 1,700 miles and got worse where now I have to hold the dipstick tube when removing or replacing the oil dipstick. The O-ring at the top of the dipstick is fine and the plastic near the top is what's binding, so that's why I thought maybe sanding down a little of the plastic might fix the problem. John ,the dealer said to bring it in and they will "look at it" it's over a hour drive one way and they weren't to helpful when I asked about replacing just the dipstick either. Like I said the fill tube is not bent or damaged in anyway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Frank thanks for the info. I'll look into a new dipstick. Randy, the o-ring is fine the problem is down lower on the plastic part of the dipstick it's just binding and I checked it for cracks or burrs and nothing I saw. It was just strange this started could be the heat and cold affected the plastic.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hmmm, I've had to YANK mine out from day one. Just figured it was a problem with the design. It goes in fairly easy though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine is also very difficult to pull out. I pulled it to hard one and must have loosened the bolt by the casing and started causing an oil leak. Problem was solved after a new dipstick and tightened bolt

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 2010 800 and mine is very difficult to remove as well. While I like my Ranger, none of the Honda rigs I've owned ever had any little quirks like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts