PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found nothing in the search specific to the 900 for this.

2013, 900XP..... Oil filter Pure Polaris 2540086

My question is...... What size wrench do I need to TIGHTEN the filter.

I have an expandable to get it off. What I need is the correct size to put it back on. I know it's only a half turn past contact and for most that would be hand tight. I require a little extra help with that so I'm looking for a wrench that fits and doesn't slip.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Get a big set of chanel locks.:glee::encouragement:

Reactions: Glngib

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I use a big set of chanel locks.:glee::encouragement:

·
Special Advisor
94 Posts
Just take your new filter to the auto parts before putting it on and test fit one for your ratchet, thats what I did but can't remember the size off hand. Then do your oil change !

Reactions: Bob R

·
Registered
533 Posts
several options. but you want to make sure you don't over tighten it, cuz then you will have fun getting it back off later. I always just put them on as tight as I can by hand.

the adjustable "strap style" wrench can be flipped over to work in reverse.

strap_filter_wrench_1_1.jpg

K&N filter has a hex on end to use a wrench or socket.

OilFiltersWrenchL.jpg

Get the "slip on" type filter wrench that fits your filter as mentioned above.

41jFG79cD-L._SY300_.jpg

I have a set of filter pliers that work awesome, they are like a channel lock, but made for oil filters.

lis-50750.gif

Reactions: Bob R

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help !!!

I'm going to use the suggestion to take my filter with me to Harbor Freight (Hope it's OK to post the name) and try and get the slip on. If they don't have the right size I'll get one of the pliers type.

Thanks for the help !!

·
Registered
755 Posts
It is a 64-14, which means it is a 64mm 14 flute. You can get one at any Toyota dealership.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Wrench? You don't need no stinkin' wrench! Just use your hand. Most filters say to hand tighten anyhow. I haven't used a filter wrench to put a filter on in 10 years.

I have pretty lousy hand strength by the way.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
View attachment 7054 [/QUOTE]

Wound up getting this one. Really made changing it easy !!!! I will probably use this on most of our vehicles now.

Once again this forum and the people on come through !!!!!! Thanks !!!!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
this one only works to loosen though correct? the design doesn't work to tighten.
If you put it on the other end of the filter it will tighten it. :beaten:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I wonder if anyone has seen the effects of an over tightened filter, besides the fact it's hard to remove....I have and luckily it didn't cost me a motor, left a nice trail of oil though, it wasn't my screw-up but a service station. I know it's hard for most of us, me included, but read the filter instructions sometime; tighten till gasket makes contact then 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn more.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I wonder if anyone has seen the effects of an over tightened filter, besides the fact it's hard to remove....I have and luckily it didn't cost me a motor, left a nice trail of oil though, it wasn't my screw-up but a service station. I know it's hard for most of us, me included, but read the filter instructions sometime; tighten till gasket makes contact then 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn more.
What happens?:cower: Why would an extra crank result in this?

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Just a guess on my part Jim, but since the gasket on an oil filter is usually pretty soft, I would think (despite the 'thin' application of oil on the gasket) it would start to bunch up in spots causing gaps to form. I now yield the floor to someone who actually knows what they are talking about! :unconscious:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Any number of things can happen but all related to the seal, slight defects in manufacturing are amplified, most common it will force it out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts