PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

Oil in rubber hose from crankcase to air filter

10K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Tlmunn 
#1 ·
Anyone have any experience with finding oil in the hose from the crankase up to the air filter box as well as from the breather over to the throttle body.The engine has been going down some on oil and its not leaking out and i saw this oil while doing some maintenance ?
Thank you

#4 ·
Ti, what engne/year/miles/hours.......... That is normally caused by crankcase pressurization although it could be from condensation and unspent fuel raising the oil level to high. Time for a leakdown test or at least a compression test ....
OR .....just drive it and keep an eye on the air filter before it gets saturated.

#5 ·
Its a 2015 900 ranger xp with a around 280 hrs and 2800 miles.I can do the compression test no problem when i pull the plugs and verify my tester has the correct threads.Ive never done a leakdown test before but have an idea how to do it.Thanks

#6 ·
ok T, let us know the results. I would also check the throttle body adapters for cracks. Cracking will allow dirt to be ingested.. A visual is good but if you hit them with carb cleaner /ether you can tell you have a leak by idle RPM..

Reactions: RJ
#8 ·
I would want o see a least 150 + and no more than 10% difference between the cylinder readings.

Get the engine hot........then BOTH plugs out and hold the throttle wide open... Apprx same number of revolutions for each cylinder..

#10 ·
#12 ·
I was trying my first attempt at doing a leak down test and ill triple check it tomorrow.I got 15% loss on the mag side and over 40 on the pto side.I decided to check the comp while i had the items needed right there ant pto was 165 and mag was 205.This was cold engine and wide open throttle.I know it should have been warmed up however i wanted to see what it was after the leakage was so great on the mag side.It looks like the mag side has internal damage.
I Think i have seen every u tube vid on the subject and saw where one guy did replace rings and maybe a cylinder without taking the bottom end apart. I have done several 2 stroke rebuilds but never a 4 stroke.
I will check things again tomorrow but its not looking good for the mag side.

#14 ·
The 900's are a pain to redo the lower end without pulling the engine. There is a big bore kit out there that is designed to use the stock rods, ( most bb kits require aftermarket) and can be installed in the frame. Unfortunately, I don't recall the mfg. It's used by alot of the Rzr guys.

#16 ·
My bike is the 2015 ranger and I would just want to return it to factory specs.No performance mods.
Is there a top end kit for that and where could I find one and has anyone ever cheated the rings into the cylinder on the 900 .I only saw one youtube video where a guy shows how he did it without taking the top apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.