PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2008 XP700. After I change the oil and filter, I have way to much oil on the dipstick, about 3" above the full mark. I am thinking I have the wrong dipstick. It is 18 3/4" long. Any thoughts.

Thanks,

Nolan
2014-11-09 12.06.39.jpg

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Nolan, that is the correct dipstick. You are adding just 2 quarts I would assume ? I will say that the level on most 700's of our era comes out about a quarter to a half an inch high over full even if you carefully measure two quarts out of a gallon before installing it.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
They can't even supply the correct dipstick? Unbelievable.:cower:

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
That is the correct dipstick at 18 3/4". I verified it on my 700. Sounds most likely that the problem is to much oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feed back. Now that I know I have the right dipstick, I have to look elsewhere. I had a one gallon jug with 4 quarts marked on the side. The oil level in the jug was just under the 2 quart mark. I know I put in 2 quarts.

Thinking back, it was over full when I drained it and I don't think there was anywhere near 2 quarts drained out. I still have the old oil in a drain pan. I will measure it.

This Ranger only has 600 hours on it. I bought it at 500 hours and changed the oil. It was overfull when I was done and I assumed I put in to much oil. Could the crankcase have something in it that is taking up space?

Any ideas on what to look for would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, here goes. I pulled a bone head. I am posting so anyone watching will not be wondering what happened. This is the story: I pulled the plug on the transmission, drained the oil, removed the engine oil filter and replaced it with a new one, put the transmission plug back in, and then added 2 quarts of oil to the engine. That is now I ended up with way to much oil on the dipstick.

I have now undone that mistake and have everything changed out and filled up with new oil. I have made a note for myself in the service records as follows: Transmission plug is 8mm hex and the engine plug is 6mm hex.

Fortunately it is quite cold here in Wyoming and I had not pulled the Ranger out of the garage after the first attempt at an oil change.

Nothing like a little humble pie for supper.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Nolan, don't feel bad as I am sure that that is not the first time it has happened to someone .

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Yep, a friend of mine just filled his diesel truck with gas. Yikes. I'd rather have your problem Nolan.:glee::encouragement:

·
Registered
619 Posts
It happens. My buddy did the same thing with his Ford Ranger. He drained the manual transmission thinking it was the engine. He did drive it around for a short while when the gears became a bit hard to shift and his engine was spewing frothy oil all over the place…oops.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts