PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided I wanted an oil pressure gauge for my 2015 Ranger 570 Full Size. Dash space is limited so I put it in a blank area to the left of the steering wheel. I used a gauge with a 1 1/2" diameter. Initially I tried a gauge that had a maximum 60 PSI reading but quickly learned that on this engine 60PSI isn't high enough. A 100 PSI maximum gauge seems to be good. It surprised me surprised that this engine generated oil pressure that high. Maybe it's due to the use of the hydraulic cam chain tensioner.
There is a 3/8 pipe plug on the back side of the oil filter housing which is used for testing purposes. I removed that plug and attached my pressure gauge line there, ran it through the tunnel where the radiator lines run and up behind the dash.
Since the 1 1/2" gauges don't come with any way to mount them to the dash I made an aluminum clamp which currently attaches to the back side of the dash with double faced tape. If that doesn't work over time I can add a couple of stainless screws from the front.
Following are pictures of the clamp, the gauge and the final installation. I hope this helps anyone else who has considered adding a gauge.

Picture 1: Clamp
Picture 2: Clamp with "stand in" gauge for testing fit. Clamp goes behind panel and is currently fastened with 3M double faced tape
Picture 3: Final Installation

Wood Rectangle Circle Fashion accessory Beige

Watch Clock Measuring instrument Watch accessory Circle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fixture Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

·
Registered
56 Posts
I decided I wanted an oil pressure gauge for my 2015 Ranger 570 Full Size. Dash space is limited so I put it in a blank area to the left of the steering wheel. I used a gauge with a 1 1/2" diameter. Initially I tried a gauge that had a maximum 60 PSI reading but quickly learned that on this engine 60PSI isn't high enough. A 100 PSI maximum gauge seems to be good. It surprised me surprised that this engine generated oil pressure that high. Maybe it's due to the use of the hydraulic cam chain tensioner.
There is a 3/8 pipe plug on the back side of the oil filter housing which is used for testing purposes. I removed that plug and attached my pressure gauge line there, ran it through the tunnel where the radiator lines run and up behind the dash.
Since the 1 1/2" gauges don't come with any way to mount them to the dash I made an aluminum clamp which currently attaches to the back side of the dash with double faced tape. If that doesn't work over time I can add a couple of stainless screws from the front.
Following are pictures of the clamp, the gauge and the final installation. I hope this helps anyone else who has considered adding a gauge.

Picture 2: Clamp with "stand in" gauge for testing fit. Clamp goes behind panel and is currently fastened with 3M double faced tape

View attachment 143313
View attachment 143314 View attachment 143315
Nice job! What should the pressure normally be?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
822 Posts
This interests me...

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
here is a 3/8 pipe plug on the back siTde of the oil filter housing which is used for testing purposes. I removed that plug and attached my pressure gauge line there, ran it through the tunnel where the radiator lines run and up behind the dash.

View attachment 143313
View attachment 143314 View attachment 143315
Is there room where you put the line fitting for a sending unit ? Looks pretty tight on my 570 midsize ?

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Nice job! What should the pressure normally be?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thank you!
My Service Manual doesn't specify a maximum pressure, only minimums at specific RPMs; 10PSI @ 1200 RPM & 40PSI @ 7000RPM. The Manual also states
"NOTE: Test results are based on the use of the
recommended engine oil (Polaris PS-4) at
operating temperature, and may vary
considerably if any other oil is used or if engine
is not up to temperature."

My guess is that minimums are provided because as an engine wears pressure drops due to increased clearances in the oil pump and pressurized bearings.

Reactions: marksj56

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Is there room where you put the line fitting for a sending unit ? Looks pretty tight on my 570 midsize ?
I can't say much about the midsize because I don't know what other components are near back side of the oil filter housing. I believe there is probably enough room for a sending unit on the housing itself.

In my case the diameter of the gauge was also an issue because of limited dash space and I didn't want to add one of those hang down gauge cluster brackets. I felt that an in dash gauge would look closer to a "factory" gauge if there was such a thing as well as be less likely to be damaged. Although there may be electric gauges that are 1 1/2" in diameter I am not aware of any. In addition I was concerned with the waterproofing of an electric gauge and a sending unit that would be exposed to water since it sits low on the chassis. I suppose a Marine gauge might resolve that concern.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered a electric unit for my 570 about five years ago and never got around to installing it , still in the box lol
I like the idea of electric better cause one wouldn't have to worry about the oil line rubbing / leaking .

I was careful to route my line so that it would not rub and used zip ties to fasten it securely to nearby components to that it would not touch anything sharp or metal nor would it vibrate and rub anywhere. One could also use wire loom to cover the line for additional protection although I didn't believe it necessary.

Reactions: yooper265

·
Administrator
7,761 Posts
Nice work ! They should all come with one just like that !

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So at hot idle what is your pressure?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Cold it idles at about 85 PSI and doesn't get much over that even when I increase RPM, but I always allow the machine to warm up to at least 100 or 120 before I start driving and even then I am easy on it until it gets to 178 degrees or more.

The manufacturer of the gauges I used specifically states not to exceed maximum pressure the gauge was designed for or it will be ruined. Initially, after looking at the specs stated in the Service Manual I underestimated what pressure the engine would produce thinking it would be like most automotive engines with a max of around 60 PSI cold - wrong! I was shocked to see the new 60 PSI gauge pegged after the initial installation so I ordered the 100 PSI gauge which seems to be good. If I could have found a 120 PSI gauge I probably would have used it just to keep reading more toward the middle of the scale.

So far I haven't really had the opportunity to run the machine hard and get it really hot. We've had a lot of rain this past week, along with cooler weather and I've been working in the wood shop with my 93 year old dad so it's only been short runs between my house and my parents. I did get it up to about 180 degrees and at idle the pressure was just under 40.

Note: With the following statement I am in no way trying to start another oil discussion nor stir any oil debate. Based upon my research and experience I've chosen to use these products and am following the advice in the Owner's Manual about shorter oil change intervals when short runs are the norm. --- FWIW, I use Amsoil and WIX filters and change my oil at about 75 hours or so due to short runs my machine usually endures. I'm pretty fastidious about maintenance and the machine currently has a little over 500 hours on it so I believe wear to be minimal.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update on pressure:
Once fully warmed and driven a few miles idle oil pressure is between 10 PSI when temps reach the low 200 degree marks and 12 PSI with temps around 180 or slightly above. Oil Pressure at driving speeds and under load is right at 80 PSI.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts