PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone ever gotten a "straight answer" from Polaris about why they try to convince us to use their oil. I have looked @ the oil recommendations for the 4 strokes in my house hold.

Woodsplitter w/ Honda motor: 5W30 or 10W30 if the temps are from -30*F to 105*F

Garden tractor w/ B & S motor: 5W30 or 10W30 temps less than 40* F. SAE 30 weight if temp over 40* F. 5W30 or 10W30 syn' will cover a temperature range from -20*F to 100* F

'86 Monte Carlo SS w/305: 5W30 for -20* F to 100* F (preferred). 10W30 for 0* F to 100* F. SAE 30 for 40* F and higher temps.

'11 Chevrolet K2500HD w/ 6L: 5W30 (preferred). "Do not use other viscosity oils such as 20W50. In areas of extreme cold where the temp falls below -20* F use either 5W30 syn' or 0W30."

In all my years around 4 strokes, the recommended oils were usually "ranged" depending on the temperatures to be seen. Never a 1 size fits all. IMO the 5W50 seems overkill for most Ranger owners. A rider in Texas or California would be more interested in using an oil protecting the motor @ higher temps than colder temps. Whereas as Canadian or Alaskan owners would see more moderate summertime temps and lower winter temps. In these locations a 50 weight oil probably isn't necessary in the summer.

From the oil change kit box:

Oil Box.jpg

Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 specs (just a quick Google search):

http://www.pennzoil.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Pennzoil-Platinum-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-SN-GF-5-en-TDS.pdf

It has a VI of 170. There may be oils w/ a better VI. Mind you there aren't a lot of xxW50 oils out there unless you go to a racing type.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Just my opinion, but I think there are 2 reasons............
(1) It makes it idiot-proof (impossible to use the wrong viscosity, regardless of the temp' range)
(2) To sell more oil.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Polaris has recommendations, but their house brand fluids are for only one purpose, make them $$. That is why GM, Ford, Honda, Polaris, Yamaha, Arctic Cat and everyone else who makes equipment with an engine on it, all have their own house brands.

OEM manufacturers are trying to keep more of the aftermarket business for themselves and they make it difficult for customers to find aftermarket products.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Polaris has recommendations, but their house brand fluids are for only one purpose, make them $$. That is why GM, Ford, Honda, Polaris, Yamaha, Arctic Cat and everyone else who makes equipment with an engine on it, all have their own house brands.

OEM manufacturers are trying to keep more of the aftermarket business for themselves and they make it difficult for customers to find aftermarket products.
True enough, but none of them specify some "[email protected]#$%^d" oil that nobody else makes. Power steering & brake fluids usually are a SAE standard. ATF mind you is a bit different. Each OEM seems to have there own ATF, but usually the aftermarket has it covered.

I checked the owners manual & in '2011, Polaris specified 02W50. I remember @ the time folks wondering where Polaris came up w/ the 02 grade because the SAE doesn't recognize it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Most people have no idea that "2W-50" was a marketing gimmick to keep customers "In-House" as there is not a 2W-50 available in the open market. And as you say, SAE grades viscosity in increments of 5.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found some alternative oils:

Castrol: http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/B6D6425DB1187C8480257C12006048F5/$File/BPXE-9CXU94.pdf

Mobil 1: 5W-50 Synthetic Oil | Mobil 1™ 5W-50

Pennzoil (scroll down): http://www.pennzoil.ca/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/2014/08/SAE+5W-50.pdf

Quaker State: Motor Oil, Transmission Fluids & Synthetic Oil | Quaker State

Schaeffer: Schaeffer Oil | Supreme 9000 5W-50 Synthetic Racing Engine Oil

Redline: Red Line Synthetic Oil - Motor Oil - 5W50 Motor Oil

I know a lot of folks use Amsoil, but couldn't find a 5W50 oil from them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Not looking to get into an oil controversy...... but......... Isn't the "0" part of the viscosity as important as the "50" part ?????? Especially in Cold weather areas ????

·
Registered
750 Posts
The “W” in 0W-40 motor oil stands for “winter” and indicates the oil meets or exceeds certain criteria for good low-temperature performance. Motor oil with SAE viscosity grade 0W-40 behaves like an SAE 40 oil at high temperatures and SAE 0W oil at low temperatures, providing the necessary fluidity for rapid starts and efficient engine operation at low temperatures.

Viscosity Index (VI) Improvers are long-chain polymers that help control the viscosity of multi-grade engine oils. They expand and contract as temperatures vary. High temperatures cause VI improvers to expand and reduce oil thinning; low temperatures cause VI improvers to contract and have little impact on oil viscosity.

img5.png

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not looking to get into an oil controversy...... but......... Isn't the "0" part of the viscosity as important as the "50" part ?????? Especially in Cold weather areas ????
No problem Stan, yes both the low & high viscosities are important. But like I said in my original post, very few Ranger owners would see a range of temps that would require a an oil w/ 5W & 50 viscosities.

Reactions: Jaketye

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was in to the city today & I see WallyMart & Canadian Tire both carry Castrol Edge 5W50 (WallyMart is cheaper).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mobile1, 5w 50 is what I use in my 2012 Ranger 500. It cost about the same as Polaris oil @ $9.00 per quart, but I have used Mobile 1 in all my ATV's over the years with good luck so I guess I will stick with it

·
Registered
166 Posts
I use mobil 1 0w 40 in my '07 ranger... dealer said had to use special oil because of wet clutches... I asked him to show me where the wet clutches were located...........................

·
Registered
750 Posts
I use mobil 1 0w 40 in my '07 ranger... dealer said had to use special oil because of wet clutches... I asked him to show me where the wet clutches were located...........................
You have to always remember, the dealer is only going to do and say things that move sales and make them money. He does not want you to buy something else; that's his vain attempt to convince you to buy the oil he sells.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
It's not just Polaris dealers that are in the business to make money.

People that work at dealerships should be more informed but sadly many are not, and especially the salesmen. You have to do your own research and know what you want when you go to buy.
Polaris formulates their oil specifically for their own engines. They are not API or SAE oils. They don't' need to be. Polaris doesn't release their specifications as far as I know so how do you know if an oil meets Polaris specs? Lots of engine makers have special specifications for their oil, even my run of the mill '08 Taurus has a special specification that most oils don't meet. I don't know what the difference is but I don't take a chance by using the wrong oil. GM has a special specification for some of their high performance engines. Ford has a special specification for some of the Mustang engines.

Polaris specifies their own oil because they control the blend. They don't have to worry about depending on an off the shelf oil with unknown specifications that might change.
Sure they make money on every sale, but so does every other snake oil salesman.

I am not trying to tell anyone which oil to use. I use Rotella t-6 in my older design engines up through the 800 series. I don't know what I will use in the new Prostar series other than Polaris for now, and some of these engines fall into the high performance category.

I haven't seen any reports of engine problems from using Polaris oil. I personally wouldn't spend the same money on a different oil that I don't know for sure meets Polaris specs.

JMHO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts