PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
I put a 20KW propane Generac generator on the house after being out 13 days. I had a 10KW gasoline generator but couldn't get gas. The stations had it but no power to pump it. I changed the range over to propane so the generator rums the whole house. The wife likes cooking with gas better and you can store propane for a long time.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I know a few folks around here with whole house propane generators. One had a lighting strike and burned out the computer. $$. another told me with power out three days it emptied his big topedo propane tank. And maintance. It's timed to run and shut down as a preventive measure. I have a big gas generator 10kw. I wheel out and hook up. A PIA and takes a few minutes. But it runs the whole compound.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Something wrong if one sucks up a large tank of propane in that short period of time or someone is not trying to conserve energy by washing clothes and drying using the electric water heater and dryer that are major consumers of electricity in a home. Generators were a common subject when I moderated a alternative heating forum. Not doing that much now that I have a place in south TX for winter

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
In FL I had gasoline powered generators that I plugged in for years before I installed my whole house natural gas unit. The gasoline powered gen sets were accompanied by several problems. The B&S powered one was so loud it was annoying and there's no way I would run it at night when I or my neighbors were trying to sleep. Everyone's nerves are frazzled after hurricanes and loud generators caused many an angry argument with not so nice outcomes for either side. The Honda I had was quiet but the foam air filters would disintegrate between periods of need (sometimes years apart). Both generators had issues when being stored for long periods between uses with carburetors and required complete draining of fuel tanks and float bowels to assure they would run when needed next time. Doing that much work to store them made it so you didn't want to bring them out for the usual power outages that didn't occur during hurricanes, but even some of those outages lasted several hours and you don't know how long they will last when they begin. Most troublesome of all problems was obtaining gasoline before and after a hurricane. Prior to storms you had to wait in lines that were a couple hours long to fill your gas cans and sometimes you waited in vain becasue by the time you got to the pumps the tanks were empty and the station was waiting on a delivery. After the hurricane was worse becasue lack of electricity meant no gasoline availability unless you drove a couple hours to an area that wasn't badly affected by the storm. Lastly, two problems may not be considered a big deal by some were storage of large quantities of gasoline in cans and the requirement for frequent oil changes on the air cooled gen sets.

These are the things that made me decide to go with a water cooled natural gas generator which by it's nature emitted about the same sound level when running at an outdoor air conditioner unit, required oil and filter changes at much longer intervals and had a never ending supply of fuel and carburetors never gummed up.

In S. FL, AC is almost a must(although we grew up without it, funny how we get spoiled), especially after a storm when heat and humidity seem to be at peaks. Property values are high and houses are close together in most neighborhoods. At the time I was a firefighter and still had to work regular shifts + extra shifts due to the storm, and needed my sleep when I was off duty. Unfortunately, everyone isn't considerate and many people did run loud generators at night to run a window shaker. That meant keeping windows open was impossible. A large whole house generator was the answer becasue I could run my central AC and keep the windows closed and I could keep my refrigerator stocked with food with no concerns about spoilage and no long trips to unaffected areas to buy food at frequent intervals.

My current situation is somewhat different and will require some additional research on my part. While it's still possible to have a power outage that will last a couple of weeks here the likelihood is much less. I have propane now rather than natural gas but I also have a 1000 gallon underground propane tank which can be filled well before the storm. I don't have to go after propane, the gas company brings it to me. I also don't need a whole house generator as large as the one I had previously. I can do without air conditioning here becasue temperatures even in summer are very tolerable. No one lives nearby so windows can be open at night. In fact, heat is a bigger need in winter but I have a good wood stove which will heat the house and my furnace is gas so the gen set only needs to be large enough to run the air handler, not a compressor or heating elements. It does need to be large enough to handle the 2HP 240V pump for my well though. I still want quiet and ease of maintenance though, so an air cooled unit may not be the ticket. Generators have come a long way since I got my other one so air cooled may now be quiet and have longer service intervals. Gotta do my research.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Generac whole house generators is what is advertised here on local TV Steve. $79. a month for _____months installed. And when you see one mounted near the house. 99% of the time its a Generac. Other areas of the country might have a lot of other brands to offer. It seemed like when I was generator shopping Home Depot offered Generac whole house propane generators.

·
Registered
175 Posts
On the skunk saga....I now have relocated one, ended another and tonite discovered a 3rd has showed up and apparently under my house based on odor....what the hell....traps are reset and will see how this plays out.

On generator side...the auto propane units are out of my budget. I'm on a well system which is 220 plus the HVAC and assorted necessities such as freezer and fridge circuits makes it very expensive.

My friends who got quotes were in 20k range which is too expensive. I could buy many hotel rooms and groceries for that.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I bought a diesel generator 7kw for less than a grand a few years ago. Keep in the garage and can wheel out and fire up if needed for extended periods otherwise my camping generator thats a bit over 3 kw can handle my home without drawing well water but usually have at least a weeks worth of drinking water stored

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
This is the one that I bought from FleaBay...of course for another $1,k dollars I could of had a whole house propane one. But I went this route. The only drain I see is when the Quincy air compressor starts. The well pump doesn't affect it. Tig welders, press brake, band saw and whatever else can all run off this generator at the same time with no issues.
The downside. It has no auto function. So when you start it. Its flat out. I think the largest Honda on wheels was 10, watts. but the cost was $5,000. , Generac had a 10, watt for about the same price as the DuroMax. That had the auto function. I wish I had gone with that now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DuroMax-XP15000E-15000-Watt-V-Twin-Gas-Powered-Electric-Start-Portable-Generator/202061955092?epid=16031086629&hash=item2f0bd4c014:g:4hgAAOSwyP5aA6AX

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Generac whole house generators is what is advertised here on local TV Steve. $79. a month for _____months installed. And when you see one mounted near the house. 99% of the time its a Generac. Other areas of the country might have a lot of other brands to offer. It seemed like when I was generator shopping Home Depot offered Generac whole house propane generators.
The 20kw generator I had in FL was made by Generac, it was called a Quietsource had an aluminum housing (no rust) and 4 cylinder Mitsubishi car engine. I probably didn't need 20KW but wanted water cooled for extended maintenance intervals and low noise. I was also concerned about peak amp draw. Electric motors don't like starting under load with low amp availability. I wanted enough amps so that if my AC cycled (unpredictable) at the same time I was running other electric high load equipment neither would be starved for current.

This house has a little different scenario. If we have a power outage I can live without AC and shut it off. If it's cold I can heat with my gas furnace by overriding the heat pump at the thermostat and/or using the wood stove, but the well pump still needs enough current to start while other appliances are running and when it starts is also unpredictable. I could probably get away with 10kw here but long service intervals and quiet are still important to me and I'll probably also need a crankcase warmer for winter months.

I installed my unit in FL myself but may have one here installed by a contractor. My biggest problem with that is that I can't seem to find contractors that do professional quality work. During the build of this house I found many lacking in workmanship. I don't do credit unless I can pay it off at the end of the month so I'll save to make a cash deal, but I still need to do a lot of research to find a 10 or 15kw unit that is quiet and has long service intervals. A unit with a small water cooled engine would probably fit the bill perfectly but I don't know if anyone makes one. I may look for a diesel unit that can also run on propane, thus eliminating the possibility of ignition issues, but engines of that type are generally use more in heavy industry. Research!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
On the skunk saga....I now have relocated one, ended another and tonite discovered a 3rd has showed up and apparently under my house based on odor....what the hell....traps are reset and will see how this plays out.

On generator side...the auto propane units are out of my budget. I'm on a well system which is 220 plus the HVAC and assorted necessities such as freezer and fridge circuits makes it very expensive.

My friends who got quotes were in 20k range which is too expensive. I could buy many hotel rooms and groceries for that.
How are you moving trapped skunks without getting sprayed with stinky stuff? That would be my biggest concern.

When it comes to generator cost benefit ratio definitely enters the picture. There are also situational issues that come into play. In S FL hurricanes were an annual concern, sometimes several times a season. The place was crowded, hotels were out of the question, local food stores were stripped and after the storm those without generators of their own didn't open because there was no way to check people out or prevent spoilage. You either got a generator or lived on canned food until power and some level of normality was restored. After Andrew many people bought generators to run refrigerators but, in addition to noise and violence brought about by those annoyed by the noise, other problems cropped up; gasoline and oil availability became issues. Many generators were trashed due to lack of maintenance. From South Dade Country to Homestead power wasn't restored for weeks and in some areas months, so people had to drive many miles to get food, fuel and other necessities. All that driving also ate up fuel even in areas that had power restored so there were shortages. I suppose if Andrew had struck in a more rural and less populated area there wouldn't have been nearly as much pressure on available resources.

The hurricane that struck N. FL this past summer has done much of the same thing to Panama City Beach but for a shorter duration. Since Andrew power companies have formed coalitions to support each other and made arrangements to restore power more quickly. Now power companies stage equipment and personnel outside the predicted storm path so they can respond quickly after the storm has passed. Still, S FL is near the end of the line and places not in the storm path may be hard to come by in certain scenarios.

Bad storms have an interesting effect on people. Some become very aware and prepare to the max. Others simply leave the area never to return. Many residents of Homestead simply took the insurance money to repair their homes, sold the property "as is" and moved north causing tremendous growth and overcrowding in Broward County and falling prices in S. Dade. In the end, economic recovery in S. Dade took years. Today, after last summer's hurricane, rental property in PCB is at a premium becasue surviving habitable property is scarce. Rents are approaching $2k/month+ for places formerly going for half that.

·
Registered
249 Posts
While still in NJ we got hit with Hurricane Sandy 30 miles inland from NYC and 90 miles north of the NJ shore we were out for 5 days with no power. A Generac generator that I got for free quit and had no way to keep my 2 sump pumps running and no heat ( it was late October) When we moved from NJ to Vermont we knew that every winter there would be at least 1 or 2 outages per season.
So with that in mind we decided on a GE Whole house generator set up propane fired (no natural gas around )as recommended by my electrician
have a bulk 150 gal propane dedicated just for the gen. With my calculations it can run 4 days straight with 70% load and propane distributor is a phone call away
Ge sold their small gen business to Briggs and Stratton
small compact generator about the size of a whole house A/C condenser and quiet, metal housing and insulation with optional heated battery blanket and oil heater for cold weather starting
also has automatic weekly exercising

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Briggs-Stratton-12-000-Watt-Automatic-Air-Cooled-Standby-Generator-040517/305671897?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD28I%7C28-7_GENERATORS%7CNA%7CPLA%7CFixed_WEATHER_CONTROL%7c71700000050322317%7c58700004937286966%7c92700042801522327&gclid=CNGi4qm53-ICFc4grQYdOFkIUw&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
32 Posts
No bear in this area either but have had a lot of Orioles eating at the Hummer feeders. Have had deer eat out of the dry food bird feeders. My dog got a coon the other night that was headed for the tree the feeders are in.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The skunk move worked out perfect....was at lunch with buds from work and one said I needed to walk up with a tarp and cover the cage..he read that on internet. So being in front of everyone I said offer accepted....we drove to house and he covered it without incident......the release was puckering but skunk didnt spew.

Then I worried all I did was likely move a rabies infested animal to new place

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
While still in NJ we got hit with Hurricane Sandy 30 miles inland from NYC and 90 miles north of the NJ shore we were out for 5 days with no power. A Generac generator that I got for free quit and had no way to keep my 2 sump pumps running and no heat ( it was late October) When we moved from NJ to Vermont we knew that every winter there would be at least 1 or 2 outages per season.
So with that in mind we decided on a GE Whole house generator set up propane fired (no natural gas around )as recommended by my electrician
have a bulk 150 gal propane dedicated just for the gen. With my calculations it can run 4 days straight with 70% load and propane distributor is a phone call away
Ge sold their small gen business to Briggs and Stratton
small compact generator about the size of a whole house A/C condenser and quiet, metal housing and insulation with optional heated battery blanket and oil heater for cold weather starting
also has automatic weekly exercising

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Briggs-Stratton-12-000-Watt-Automatic-Air-Cooled-Standby-Generator-040517/305671897?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD28I%7C28-7_GENERATORS%7CNA%7CPLA%7CFixed_WEATHER_CONTROL%7c71700000050322317%7c58700004937286966%7c92700042801522327&gclid=CNGi4qm53-ICFc4grQYdOFkIUw&gclsrc=aw.ds
I'll put that generator on my shopping list. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
No bear in this area either but have had a lot of Orioles eating at the Hummer feeders. Have had deer eat out of the dry food bird feeders. My dog got a coon the other night that was headed for the tree the feeders are in.
Haven't seen any deer in a while here but the Hummingbirds are feasting at the feeder 7 or so at a time. It's like a swarm of giant bees.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts