PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many topics on over heating but I haven’t seen one on my problem.

It starts when I shut off my 2018 Ranger 1000xp and then try starting back up after resting for 10 to 15 minutes. It will keep getting hotter until it shuts down at about 250. I then have to wait for about 20 minutes before it will start again. It never over heats when driving after that until you stop again and it does the same thing all over. I have tried bleeding air out and that didn’t work either. It also will blow most of the coolant out of the reservoir. Any ideas?

·
Registered
224 Posts
When we pull off for a break trail riding I usually let my Ranger idle for about 4 to 5 minutes to let things cool down before turning the key off. Don't know if this helps but it's what I do here on the desert trails around Quartzsite, Arizona especially in the summer. Good luck on solving your problem.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
You have an air pocket in your system. Mine acted like this also. Random overheating all last summer (every time I rode it for 1450 miles) until I brought it in for them to check out at the end of the season. My dealer vacuum bleed the coolant and it rarely gets above 190 degrees now. Bring it in before your warranty expires and insist they do this.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Probably already out of warranty. :nonchalance:
Polaris went to 1 year warranty in 2019 I believe?
There was a discussion on using a vacuum fill system on another thread. Probably cheaper to buy it and do the job than stepping foot in the dealership
Maybe adapt a shop vacuum

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I would take the radiator cap off, crank and watch for thermostat opening and a good flow. Still sounds like a fan issue if it doesn't overheat while in motion. So listen for the fan and verify it is pulling hot air at same time.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Probably already out of warranty. :nonchalance:
Polaris went to 1 year warranty in 2019 I believe?
There was a discussion on using a vacuum fill system on another thread. Probably cheaper to buy it and do the job than stepping foot in the dealership
Maybe adapt a shop vacuum
2018's have a 1 year warranty. Polaris knows about this issue. They will "goodwill" it if it's out of warranty. Bring it into the dealer and have them look it up. They'll find it via Polaris' dealer website.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2018's have a 1 year warranty. Polaris knows about this issue. They will "goodwill" it if it's out of warranty. Bring it into the dealer and have them look it up. They'll find it via Polaris' dealer website.
Thanks everyone for your feedback,
The fan does work. At 205 it kicks in. I have bleed the system 2 times and watched the thermostat open. I also have let the engine run until it cools down before shutting down and even turn the key on to let the fan run when engine is not running. I do believe it might be air in the system. Don’t trust my dealers shop mechanics. Have heard many complaints and will use that as a last resort.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts