PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wanted to share a little of what I have been working on lately. I am attempting to build a stereo system, on the cheap, for my 2017 midsize. I began by cutting out a template from some scrap foam core board. 1 Template.jpg
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,398 Posts
Looking good so far, keep the pics coming!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since it is being made of thin plywood, I thought it would be best to make some cross braces to add some rigidity. 9 Top ribs.jpg 10 Top ribs.jpg 11 Top ribs.jpg
The next step will be to cut slots in the plywood base and glue the braces in place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cut slots into the plywood to insert the tabs of the braces. 16 Cab side.jpg
While I was at it, I cut a hole to mount an old amplifier I had laying around. 27 Mounts for amp.jpg
...and added boards to mount it to. Used lots of Gorilla Glue. 26 Began to glue.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,033 Posts
let us know the cost please including labor T&S
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I boxed in the amplifier, and left the top open to prevent overheating. 32 Four speaker rings mounted.jpg
Also cut speaker rings for four 6.5" speakers and a 10" sub-woofer. 32 Four speaker rings mounted.jpg 33 All speaker rings.jpg
Like I said, doing this as cheaply as possible. So I used wood from an old cabinet to cut the speaker rings and used a router to round the edges.
After everything is glued and screwed into place, I can begin to start the fiberglassing (is that a word?) procedure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input. I am planning on sealing each speaker, and the sub, separately from each other. There will not be any little crevices for critters to get into, at least in the speaker cavity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Time for the post weekend update on my progress. I bought some cheap fleece material from WalMart and started to cover what will be the speaker enclosures. 34 Fleecing speaker rings.jpg
I used LOTS of staples to hold things in place. 35 Fleecing.jpg
I know it looks pretty rough right now, but I will trim up the edges and smooth as best as possible. 37 Done fleecing the four rings.jpg
This is where it all got kind of bunched up. I will try and stitch this together to help smooth it out some. 38 Have to fix this.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can see here where I was able to stitch it up to try and smooth that bunched up area. 40 Sewed up where fleece was bunched.jpg
Even if it shows a little, the "bad" spots will be behind the A and B pillars, and hopefully out of sight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The radio I bought from Walmart came with a tiny remote. I didn't want to chance losing it, so I cut out a slot in the radio mount... 43.jpg
...and made a little box out of some to the scrap plywood to hold it. 44 Made and mounted box for remote.jpg
I stitched up a little "bag" to attached to the inside of the box to help hold the remote in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wasn't sure of how I would wrap the radio and sub enclosures, so I just did the four speakers for now. 45.1.jpg
It took 8ozs. of resin per speaker. 46 Took 8 ozs. per speaker.jpg
Left it out in the hot sun all day to dry, and not stink up the garage. 47.1.jpg
I got that toolbox on there as a weight to keep it from blowing over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After everything had dried, I was able to begin wrapping the sub and radio areas. 48 Fleecing radio mount.jpg
Here's a shot of the back... 49.jpg
...and side of the radio enclosure. 50.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the sub and radio areas done. 61.1 resized.jpg
To keep everything "fiberglassed", I cut and layed out some more fleece in the areas between the two sets of end speakers. 62.jpg
This shot show where I had to "clean" up the area in the back of the assembly for the mounting points. 63.jpg
I forgot to build in reliefs for the two center mounting points. So some modification was in order. I drilled through the fiberglass... 64.1 resized.jpg
...cut a relief and re-glassed the area. 67.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you. I'm doing this as cheaply as possible. So not a lot of research or design has gone into enclosure volume, etc.
I spent like $40.00 on the speakers and $20.00 on the radio from Walmart, lol.
200 Speakers.jpg 201 Radio.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
These pics are rather large and taking forever to load. But, from what I can see..... Nice!
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top