PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That is strange Mt. 201 degrees is not extreme and that was on a restart when temps normally run higher.

"I checked it and it had overflowed coolant around the radiator. "

Are you saying it spewed from the cap ? from the recovery bottle ? from a seam on the radiator ?

The temp should be hot coming in the top and cooler (not cold) going out the bottom hose.

Depending on the answer to where it was spewing from, I am thinking you may have been a bit low on coolant and got some air in there and bubbled/ blocked & overheated OR , you could have dirty fins that are blocking the air flow ie : mud/weeds/seeds/snow either on the front or the backside of the radiator. I would fill it back up and let it run with CAP OFF with the radiator up as high as you can and let it purge. If you can stare into the cap hole long enough, you will be able to see that it has good circulation .....or not.. No other overheat history ??

One other thing, in all the years of working on Polaris engines, I have never seen a bad/nonworking thermostat.
ok, temp dropped from 240 and is now down to 160 after fan switched off. Coolant dropped way down and I added more. Do you just keep adding until it won't go down then put the cap on it?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Coolant going up and down is eitehr air in the system or boiling.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It appears the coolant is cycling as the top hose is hot and the bottom hose is warm. I've added about 1/3 to 1/2 gallon of coolant when it draws down. Before it started cycling through the engine, I heard a bumping and when I was holding the upper rad hose, I could feel the "bumping". Then coolant came out of the rad cap opening and it drew coolant way down and that's when I added about 1/3 gallon of coolant. I did this a couple of times when the fan came on and the temp dropped from 240 to 160 in just a matter of seconds at idle.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I am thinking the air bubble was purged at that GULP point . For good measure I would keep it going and keep adding as it purges smaller air pockets and bubbles. It helps to get the radiator HIGH UP... This takes a while and a fair amount of coolant to keep the system topped off. When you don't see the little bubbles, cap it off and makes sure the recovery bottle is at least half full. Piece of cake.........

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for that info. It's stopped bubbling now and the coolant is to the top of the radiator cap. There is no fluid in the recovery bottle. I suppose I can just open that cap and pour some coolant in?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Thanks for that info. It's stopped bubbling now and the coolant is to the top of the radiator cap. There is no fluid in the recovery bottle. I suppose I can just open that cap and pour some coolant in?
yes, unscrew the cap and then pull the green plug with the hole in it out and pour it half full.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
got it...thanks again for all your help. Hopefully, this has resolved the issue. I'll put it to the test in a few days when the next snow flies.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Keep an eye on the level in the recovery bottle and never let it go empty . As the system continues to purge minute amounts of air in the next few hours of run time, the level in the recovery bottle may continue to drop. Bring up the temp gauge on the cluster and leave it up and WATCH THE TEMPS AND LISTEN FOR THE FAN CYCLES. If you do have a bad fan circuit breaker, it will show in those .

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Keep an eye on the level in the recovery bottle and never let it go empty . As the system continues to purge minute amounts of air in the next few hours of run time, the level in the recovery bottle may continue to drop. Bring up the temp gauge on the cluster and leave it up and WATCH THE TEMPS AND LISTEN FOR THE FAN CYCLES. If you do have a bad fan circuit breaker, it will show in those .
I will do that. There doesn't appear to be a problem with the fan cycles. As a matter of fact, the fan was running the other day when it over heated and I noticed coolant on the ground, so I assume I was low on coolant? I will watch it to see what is happening when it reaches the 200 mark where the fan comes on to see if it is drawing down the coolant in the bottle. Thanks much.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Low on coolant and a air bubble formed is what I am thinking. The recovery (expansion) bottle holds extra coolant . When the closed system gets hot it takes up the 'expansion' IOW's hot coolant is forced out of the radiator and into the bottle. As the coolant cools, like when you shut it off, it is drawn back into the radiator . If the bottle goes empty over time, it will draw air into the system and give you a air bubble blockage.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Low on coolant and a air bubble formed is what I am thinking. The recovery (expansion) bottle holds extra coolant . When the closed system gets hot it takes up the 'expansion' IOW's hot coolant is forced out of the radiator and into the bottle. As the coolant cools, like when you shut it off, it is drawn back into the radiator . If the bottle goes empty over time, it will draw air into the system and give you a air bubble blockage.
That is good to know and likely what happened since I've never had an issue with it before and the radiator fins were clean and clear. Thanks for taking the time to help figure this out. I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I drove the Ranger today for the firs time since the radiator issue. The temp never got above 176 degrees and when I got back to the garage, I let it cool off, then checked the coolant. It had dropped slightly, so I topped it off again. The overflow bottle was down just a bit below the halfway point.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I drove the Ranger today for the firs time since the radiator issue. The temp never got above 176 degrees and when I got back to the garage, I let it cool off, then checked the coolant. It had dropped slightly, so I topped it off again. The overflow bottle was down just a bit below the halfway point.
Sounds good Mtag, I would track the bottle level for a while still but it sounds like things are back to normal.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Sounds good Mtag, I would track the bottle level for a while still but it sounds like things are back to normal.
I will do that now that I know I have an issue (or had an issue). Thanks again for your help, I do appreciate it.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts