PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 40 miles ride today.and about 30 miles in I came to a long climb where I had to put it in low and 4wd. It's not the first time I do this climb. I always monitor the temp gauge - fan kicks in at 96celsius, temp goes down to 90 and fan shuts.

I that climb it got to 96, I heard the fan kicks in, but temp kept climbing... When it got to 101 I stopped, let it idle and cool down, then continued the climb. I had to repeat this 3 more times during the climb.

Well, I thought it would be it - but the rest of the way home was not fun also - fan was on about 95% of the rest of the ride. Temperature never dropped back to 90 allowing the fan to stop.

Now, few hours after I came back home , I went to check coolant level - it's not losing and coolant.

I know it's not a real overheat - didn't get the warning light on. But still - it's not a normal behavior of the rgr.

What should I check ?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
580 Posts
I had a 40 miles ride today.and about 30 miles in I came to a long climb where I had to put it in low and 4wd. It's not the first time I do this climb. I always monitor the temp gauge - fan kicks in at 96celsius, temp goes down to 90 and fan shuts.

I that climb it got to 96, I heard the fan kicks in, but temp kept climbing... When it got to 101 I stopped, let it idle and cool down, then continued the climb. I had to repeat this 3 more times during the climb.

Well, I thought it would be it - but the rest of the way home was not fun also - fan was on about 95% of the rest of the ride. Temperature never dropped back to 90 allowing the fan to stop.

Now, few hours after I came back home , I went to check coolant level - it's not losing and coolant.

I know it's not a real overheat - didn't get the warning light on. But still - it's not a normal behavior of the rgr.

What should I check ?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'll also look at the front of the radiator to see if there is any dirt or mud.
just FYI : 96 degrees Celsius equal to 204 degrees Fahrenheit when the fan goes on.
Maybe an old/bad thermostat or water pump.
I hope the videos help.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
When the fan is on, make sure it is blowing hot air. As in Jumanji man. (private joke). You can take the rad cap off and make sure it circulates the coolant when stat opens also. Disclaimer, don't take cap off hot. lol.....🥵

Edit: the videos cover all that. Posted b4 watching........

Edit2: glad I have a stator.!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Nirtz, an aging radiator cap can cause that being that a good 13 pound cap gives you 3 degrees of protection per pound . If the cap is no longer sealing , you could be losing several degrees . If the fan is cycling normally , it is usually NOT the fan circuit breaker but a fan that is NOT cycling normally, the problem is often times the fan circuit breaker. Dirty radiator like mentioned earlier ( check both sides) can cause it . Low on oil ? if you are NOT losing coolant, it is usually one of the aforementioned items..

Don't remove or replace the THERMOSTAT..........It is never the stat.....NEVER...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts