PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lived most of my life in S. FL so snow plowing was as foreign to me as speaking Arabic. My first experience with plowing snow began back around 2018 and it was all new to me. After using a Polaris Sportsman 400 fitted with a plow designed for a Club Car Pioneer (which worked OK) and retrofitting that to my 2015 Ranger 570 FS with less than stellar results I asked a lot of questions and took some good advice from members of this Forum, did some research and added a few accessories. Following is my experience after using them for the first time.

We got our first real snow a couple of days ago, only about 4 -6 " but it gave an opportunity to test my plowing modifications. The mods I've made are a KFI 72" plow setup, SVI Traction Control which allows the rear differential to remain unlocked (Turf Mode) while allowing the front wheels to engage when one rear wheel spins (basically 3 wheel drive), Duraclutch, a Harbor Freight 3500 pound winch modified with a flat 3" strap in place of the cable, A Polaris winch control on the shifter, Maxxis Ceros tires and a Firestorm heater.

My driveway roads are steep, narrow (10'), pitched and curvy.

Spoiler - plowing was a breeze with these mods.
The plow made short work of the snow and even though the angle adjustments are manual they were easy and fast to make.
The Polaris winch control on the shifter worked great and the winch raises and lowers the plow very quickly, especially when compared to the 12 volt actuator I had on the previous set up.
The flat strap I used is one cut from a length of HF tow strap and it worked very well, no tangles or kinks like cable or rope may tend to do and it worked with the fairlead rollers designed for the cable. To install it on the cable drum I removed the cable, taped the end of the strap with duct tape to the drum and rolled on about 12' of strap which fills the drum. Once the first couple of wraps are on the drum the duct tape does nothing; friction of the strap alone keeps it in place.
The SVI traction Control prevented any tendency to spin around or slide while providing good traction, and the Ceros tires gripped well even on some areas with thin ice. The only time I had trouble with going where I pointed the machine was backing up a steep slope where there was ice under the snow. I was able to ascend that same slope forward with no problem. I was able to plow uphill as well as downhill on grades around 15%.
I was concerned that the Firestorm heater wouldn't keep the cab warm since I usually have to cover the radiator to get the engine up to operating temperature with normal driving in freezing temperatures. Although I began plowing with the radiator covered I soon had to remove the cover to prevent the engine from getting too hot. The remainder of the plowing session the engine operated between 188 degrees 195 degrees and the cab got up to 78 degrees inside. My cab is far from airtight and I've done little to seal it up.
Overall I'm thrilled with the setup I have. What took hours to plow with my previous makeshift setups and smaller machine now take less than 1/3 the time and does a much better job. Two passes now take the place of 4 or 5 with a narrower plow. The 570 has plenty of power now matter what you throw at it. The wheels will spin before the engine runs out of power. If, in the future I have a heavier snow and find I need more traction I have chains I can add to the tires, however, since the plow I am now using is wider than the wheel track of the Ranger, even when angled, I don't think traction will be a huge problem as it was previously.

·
Registered
‘17 Ranger 570 Midsize
863 Posts
I’m glad that you adapted. Plowing is pretty enjoyable for the most part. I don’t have heat, and the first year, plowed with a half windshield and no doors. ;) That was chilly. Much better with the Versashield that I can fold up and doors.

The first year we lived at our place we got 24 inches in 24 hours. But, I also returned home to find 14 inches with snow drifts earlier in the year that gave me some practice. It made it harder that I had a dislocated collarbone.

I’ve never had a traction problem with the stock tires. I also use a 72 inch blade. Perhaps, your vertical blade angle could be adjusted to make it easier.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Glad it's working for you Pyro, I was going to suggest chains but you already have that covered.
After about 5 + years of plowing and trying to find places to pack the snow and winding up with a narrow car wide opening after a long snowy season ( not so much so far this year) I decided to get the snow blower and its a breeze to use and does not take any longer to clear the drive.
And no longer have a gravel/ hard pack lawn cleanup party in the spring .
I also do not have a traction problem with stock tires and I have chains on standby if needed.
Since I have a roof soft doors and front and rear windshields with heat staying warm is not a problem I also did not seal the cab from air leaks and can wear a light jacket for comfort.
Heavy jacket is in the cab for just in case along with a shovel and bucket of sand/ice melt mix from our road department ( free to residence not commercial) also just in case.

Reactions: pyromedic

·
Registered
400 Posts
Glad you had a chance to have some fun! I have the Ceros tire as well, and the SVI traction control, V2. I only use my Buggy at my place in West Virginia. Got the Ceros because I wanted a better ride and better traction in the snow/ice than the stock tires. Got them in 2014. Still in great shape. But, I haven't gotten any real measurable snow since then. I'm Bummend, and jealous...

Reactions: pyromedic

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad you had a chance to have some fun! I have the Ceros tire as well, and the SVI traction control, V2. I only use my Buggy at my place in West Virginia. Got the Ceros because I wanted a better ride and better traction in the snow/ice than the stock tires. Got them in 2014. Still in great shape. But, I haven't gotten any real measurable snow since then. I'm Bummend, and jealous...
Don't be jealous, there 's still a lot of winter ahead. LOL. I'm lucky, being a FL native about the time winter is over I'm tired of it anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts