PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a substitute oil available at most parts store for the front diff oil in a polaris awd system?I need some oil for my diff and the local polaris dealership is closed due to the pandemic.I have heard that simple hydraulic fluid is the same,any truth to this?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I can't answer you about a lube available at your local auto parts however, Amsoil makes a proper lube and they will send t to your home. An additional benefit is that the same lube can be run in the transmission as well as the front differential so keeping two different lubes on hand is no longer required.
AMSOIL ATV/UTV Powertrain Fld AUPT - AMSOIL

·
Super Moderator
6,811 Posts
I can't answer you about a lube available at your local auto parts however, Amsoil makes a proper lube and they will send t to your home. An additional benefit is that the same lube can be run in the transmission as well as the front differential so keeping two different lubes on hand is no longer required.
AMSOIL ATV/UTV Powertrain Fld AUPT - AMSOIL
Steve, you may want to go back and look at that again.
The Front Gearcase and Transaxke fluid are different.
Also need to make sure of the model.

·
Super Moderator
6,811 Posts
Is there a substitute oil available at most parts store for the front diff oil in a polaris awd system?I need some oil for my diff and the local polaris dealership is closed due to the pandemic.I have heard that simple hydraulic fluid is the same,any truth to this?
Not sure why my pic looks this way.
I would use the JD J20C, or Hygard.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Not sure why my pic looks this way.
I would use the JD J20C, or Hygard.
View attachment 130742
Hi Greg, maybe my old eyes are missing something, but it appears that the Amsoil part number for the recommended lubes for the front diff and transmission are the same. I know that previously Amsoil had two different lubes, one for each gearcase, becasue I used them. A couple of months ago when I tried to re-order the two lubes I was surprised to see that Amsoil now has a lube that works in both and appears to no longer have the previously recommended lubes for each gear case unit.
If you read the full description of the lube in question you will see the following bullet point:
"High-performance alternative to Polaris* Demand Drive Fluid* and Polaris AGL Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant and Transmission Fluid* "

And the following statement:
"APPLICATIONS
Use in Polaris* RANGER,* RZR,* GENERAL* and Sportsman* transmission/differentials, front drives and hubs calling for Polaris Demand Drive Fluid* or Polaris AGL Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant and Transmission Fluid.* Also for use in ATVs & UTVs that require wet-brake-compatible fluid, including those made by Kawasaki,* Yamaha* and Argo.* Do not use in applications requiring API GL-5 fluid."

If it turns out that Amsoil has indeed made one lube that woks in both places it is a real benefit, in my opinion; no need to store two different lubes and have partial containers of each sitting on the shelf, and no confusion about which to use where.

Reactions: Stroke250

·
Super Moderator
6,811 Posts
Hi Greg, maybe my old eyes are missing something, but it appears that the Amsoil part number for the recommended lubes for the front diff and transmission are the same. I know that previously Amsoil had two different lubes, one for each gearcase, becasue I used them. A couple of months ago when I tried to re-order the two lubes I was surprised to see that Amsoil now has a lube that works in both and appears to no longer have the previously recommended lubes for each gear case unit.
If you read the full description of the lube in question you will see the following bullet point:
"High-performance alternative to Polaris* Demand Drive Fluid* and Polaris AGL Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant and Transmission Fluid* "

And the following statement:
"APPLICATIONS
Use in Polaris* RANGER,* RZR,* GENERAL* and Sportsman* transmission/differentials, front drives and hubs calling for Polaris Demand Drive Fluid* or Polaris AGL Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant and Transmission Fluid.* Also for use in ATVs & UTVs that require wet-brake-compatible fluid, including those made by Kawasaki,* Yamaha* and Argo.* Do not use in applications requiring API GL-5 fluid."

If it turns out that Amsoil has indeed made one lube that woks in both places it is a real benefit, in my opinion; no need to store two different lubes and have partial containers of each sitting on the shelf, and no confusion about which to use where.
I stand corrected, good to know thanks.
I will be curious to see how this works out.
Amsoil still offers the Demand Drive but it has been discontinued in lieu of the new combination oil.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Amsoil keeps changing their Hilliard unit and Polaris transmission products.
At one time they recommended their tractor hydraulic fluid in both.
I still have some.
Right after I bought it they changed again, and they have changed twice since that change.
I would use the Hilliard recommended stuff.
It is readily available and lots cheaper and just as good.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I would not trust AMSOIL with a one size fits all lube. I have been using DEMAND DRIVE for 14 years now in the worst conditions possible and my front gear case has never been cracked open. I like it that way......

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have used Castrol GM transfer case fluid with great results. I change my fluid every 100 hours and it comes out as red as it did going in. I use my 4x4 daily too.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I would not trust AMSOIL with a one size fits all lube. I have been using DEMAND DRIVE for 14 years now in the worst conditions possible and my front gear case has never been cracked open. I like it that way......
Certainly the jury is out on how well the new Amsoil "all in one" product will perform. IMHO, Amsoil has a pretty good track record of providing good products and performing substantive testing. I'm willing to take the risk and be one of the guinea pigs. I have 3 quarts on the shelf to be used in my next change.

Reactions: Stroke250

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Amsoil keeps changing their Hilliard unit and Polaris transmission products.
At one time they recommended their tractor hydraulic fluid in both.
I still have some.
Right after I bought it they changed again, and they have changed twice since that change.
I would use the Hilliard recommended stuff.
It is readily available and lots cheaper and just as good.
It's just a guess, but I believe it's probable that Amsoil takes a while to get products into their stream of available items, testing their current products for suitability and researching to created new ones. I believe they also continue to try to improve what they have. I've used Amsoil products for my Harley and Chevy Silverado with good experience so when I first got my Ranger I called them becasue they said they didn't have 5W-50 and instead had been recommending their Formula 4-Stroke Power Sports Motor Oil which is 0W-40. In fact, to this day their literature states that it is a subsittute for Polaris PS4. I ran it until they came out with their 5W-50 and never had a problem. It's also noteworthy that Polaris has previously changed the weight rating of their oil PS4 oil as well.
So, the long and short of it for me is that I don't take a company that changes their product recommendations as a negative but rather as a positive in that they continually try to improve their offerings.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I just switched to J20c in the trans on my 16/900, I got enough DDF to last 5 years at what 6-7ozs, but from my findings the front diff would be the low vis J20 which may be the J20D. I don't think Polaris breaks down info in the manuals according to climate, colder thinner, warmer thicker, so I think some tweaking could be done.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
when I first got my Ranger I called them becasue they said they didn't have 5W-50 and instead had been recommending their Formula 4-Stroke Power Sports Motor Oil which is 0W-40. In fact, to this day their literature states that it is a subsittute for Polaris PS4.
The specification for Hilliard units hasn't changed all the much in many years.
Most other suppliers seem to have it right from the beginning so I just don't see the need for all the changes in Amsoil products.
I have never had a problem with the Polaris specification lubricant.
But I do think that if Amsoil doesn't have the correct specification product for an application they will just recommend something off the shelf until they do build a product that meets specification as noted in your post.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
The specification for Hilliard units hasn't changed all the much in many years.
Most other suppliers seem to have it right from the beginning so I just don't see the need for all the changes in Amsoil products.
I have never had a problem with the Polaris specification lubricant.
But I do think that if Amsoil doesn't have the correct specification product for an application they will just recommend something off the shelf until they do build a product that meets specification as noted in your post.
I don't believe Amsoil would just pick something off the shelf if it didn't meet the specification. The liability would be incredible and Amsoil states that their lubes will not void manufacturer warranty. All it would take is for a failure to take place and Polaris and owners to sue Amsoil becasue they advertised a lubricant that didn't meet specifications and Amsoil would be in deep kimshe.
They may pick something off the shelf that does indeed meet the spec and then later improve on the product to make it more specific for the intended use.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I don't believe Amsoil would just pick something off the shelf if it didn't meet the specification. The liability would be incredible and Amsoil states that their lubes will not void manufacturer warranty. All it would take is for a failure to take place and Polaris and owners to sue Amsoil becasue they advertised a lubricant that didn't meet specifications and Amsoil would be in deep kimshe.
They may pick something off the shelf that does indeed meet the spec and then later improve on the product to make it more specific for the intended use.
Dude, your post above proves they did just that.
Re read it.
Polaris specified 50. Amsoil didn't have a 50 so they recommended a 40.
when I first got my Ranger I called them becasue they said they didn't have 5W-50 and instead had been recommending their Formula 4-Stroke Power Sports Motor Oil which is 0W-40. In fact, to this day their literature states that it is a subsittute for Polaris PS4.
I remember the ads Amsoil ran try to sell their 40 when Polaris specified 50 and they had a nice graph that showed that Polaris 5w-50 would shear down with use to a 40 specification so Amsoil said to use their 40 instead of the Polaris 50 because the PS-4 would shear down anyway.
Only thing they didn't consider was that their oil didn't meet specification to begin with and their ad tried to make out like the Polaris oil was inferior. Total BS.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don’t see what’s the big deal with just using Polaris fluid. Get a quart for the front , it’ll do three changes. Get a gallon for the back, it’ll do two I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
And do I believe that Amsoil shear result? No way.

View attachment 130748
The operative words in my post are "if it didn't meet the specification". Your previous post stated "But I do think that if Amsoil doesn't have the correct specification product for an application they will just recommend something off the shelf until they do build a product that meets specification as noted in your post."

There is a difference in what we each wrote and believe, it seems. I don't believe Amsoil will recommend a product that won't perform as well as the Polaris recommended product. The weight of the product may be slightly different than the ADVERTISED weight of the OEM's product, but chemical compatibility and performance will be the same or better, just as the test you sighted demonstrates.

When comparing specification one must take into account that Polaris PS 4 was originally 0w-50 (if memory serves me), not 5W-50 as it is currently. It's also true that no oil manufacturers I could find previously made 5w-50 until after Polaris changed their spec. This leads me to believe that if anyone is playing fast and loose with specifications it might be Polaris, changing specs to assure they have a market for their oil becasue that spec isn't available anywhere else.

As for not believing Amsoil's testing, opinions vary. But if I'm going to choose whether or not to believe the results of a standard ASTM test then I may as well choose whether to invalidate ALL ASTM testing done by any producer of anything. There is no particular reason to believe Amsoil's testing is flawed and that Polaris' isn't, or Mobil's or Exxon's or even testing on any other material that has an ASTM standard, including construction steel, concrete and anything else covered by ASTM. Stating that the Amsoil test is not believable is tantamount to saying they have committed fraud, and I certainly have seen no evidence to support that claim. So, until someone can produce evidence that Amsoil is fraudulently producing test results or the results of a law suit in which the complainant won becasue the Amsoli product was not what it was claimed to be, I choose to give Amsoil the benefit of the doubt, just as I would any other producer of anything when supported by ASTM testing. It's sort of that innocent until proven guilty thing added into my personal experience with their products to date. But, opinions are like bellybuttons, everybody has one (except maybe for some of those 112 genders listed on Tumbler).

So as I stated previously, opinions vary, and I'm not here to pick a fight over oil or semantics. I'm happy with Amsoil and will continue to use it, you think Amsoil isn't up to snuff and possibly fudges test results, and that's fine too. As long as we both are happy and feel confident with what we use there is nothing to argue about. I prefer brunettes with a slim figure maybe you like blonds that are voluptuous. Which is better? Who is to say other than which is better for the individual.

Tcounty, with respect to your response; there's no big deal, except some people might have to drive 50 miles or more to get to a Polaris dealer, some people might not have the funds to buy a gallon at a time, some people might not like buying oil that is produced by an unknown manufacturer and simply labeled for a specific vehicle manufacturer, or some people might think they are paying too much for a lubricant for which they can get and equivalent or better for less.

I've owned vehicles made by Chrysler (Dodge and Plymouth) as well as Chevrolet and Honda, Suzuki and Harley Davidson motorcycles and never once have I bought MOPAR or GM or Suzuki or Honda oil for any of them. I did buy Harley oil when I first got my Harley in 1993 becasue I didn't know anyone else that manufactured 20W-50 at the time. Since then I have used Revtech and then Amsoil. The Baker 6 speed gets Red Line as recommended by Baker transmission. I did notice that with Amsoil oil pressure remained higher than with the other brand oils even in S FL summer heat in traffic. That reality spoke volumes to me. In my cars and trucks I have used Kendall GT1(back in the 1970s), Penzoil, Mobil, Shell and of course Amsoil beginning with the first oil change until I sold the vehicles, most at well over 100k miles. At one point I thought I might be forced to buy GM Dexron VI because GM apparently owned the rights to that transmission fluid, but it became available under different brands eventually. I've used WalMart's Dexron VI equivalent Supertech trnsmission fluid for about 100k miles in my Silverado which currently has 179996 miles, as of this morning, on the original transmission. I just bought some more Supertech Dexron VI and a filter becasue ti's time to change transmission fluid. Maybe I'll get another 100k out of that truck, who knows.

Bottom line, I try not to get hung up on brand names but instead focus on what works with the least problems at prices I can afford. When I find something that I trust I continue to use it until it lets me down and I'm certain the downfall was the fault of the product in question.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
When comparing specification one must take into account that Polaris PS 4 was originally 0w-50 (if memory serves me), not 5W-50 as it is currently. It's also true that no oil manufacturers I could find previously made 5w-50 until after Polaris changed their spec. This leads me to believe that if anyone is playing fast and loose with specifications it might be Polaris, changing specs to assure they have a market for their oil becasue that spec isn't available anywhere else.
2w-50 was the specification.
That is at the bottom edge of the 5w-50 specification.
Someone had to be first.
The blender that supplies Polaris lubricants has access to the same components as Amsoil so there is no rational reason to think that just because it was Polaris that had 2w-50 and not a major blender is kind of silly I think. Amsoil is just a blender like LubeTec, or was up until a few years ago and manufactured none of their base materials in house.
The 2w specification is controversial to some but Polaris blends for their vehicles only and can do it any way they choose.

I don't have a problem with the quality of the components in Amsoil products. They have proven to be very high quality.
The problem I have is with advertising claims, mostly in the past, and in the marketing like in your experience above with Amsoil recommending a product that is not within specification for the use it is intended for and in the dealers making derogatory unfounded claims about competing products on forums like this one while trying to sell product without ponying up for Vendor status.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts