PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
New model release is the end of July. I saw that from a very accurate post on the RZR forum.

I have no idea what Polaris will release. I kinda wonder if they'll refresh the mid sized and 900's? But then again the Ranger 900's are the best selling in their lineup. I'd be in favor of minor improvements that would enhance durability and longevity.

Battery tech is all good and fine, but what about longevity as far as batteries are concerned? What about range? 50 miles? 100 miles? Sure when the temps are 70 degrees. But what about when its 0?
Can't plow with electric at 0* F

·
Registered
652 Posts
Tesla hopes to unveil electric pickup end of summer. So get your electric truck mounted with a plow. Battery production is what is slowing their product introductions according to shareholders meeting 2 days ago

·
Registered
356 Posts
Many things are cool about electric vehicles but no way do I want that battery powered sled 100lbs heaver than comparable 2 stroke models. The range quoted is questionable IE what was the temp what we the condition's when they got their data. I like think that they are saying it will never go more then this amount of miles. Were I go there is no electric power available and I do not wish to carry a generator. Then there is the carbon foot print required to make the batteries os the saving the planet thing is not all it's quoted to be.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I agree the production of Lithium for batteries is not a good one and neither is the production of rare earth materials for magnets. The new batteries won't be using Li.
If memory serves me right, a Li mining site was used for testing the lunar rover. Pretty void of anything.
Want to see a new engine design? Mazda cars this fall will have a spark assist compression ignition gas engine. Supposed to be very high mileage like a diesel but not needing the particulate traps and urea recharge system

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hate to be old school...but I prefer old school. If I had a choice between battery electric powered utv and a gas or diesel utv......if range was identical as well as power. I would go with gas or diesel. If range of electric was greater....still would go old school.

I like the sound and the idea of refueling in minutes. Plus all the pollution and residual pollution of batteries.

My diesel is loud but I like the sound...instant power ....and idea of refueling instantly. My rides wouldn't be the same in silent mode....if I wanted a golf cart then I would have bought one.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Hate to be old school...but I prefer old school. If I had a choice between battery electric powered utv and a gas or diesel utv......if range was identical as well as power. I would go with gas or diesel. If range of electric was greater....still would go old school.

I like the sound and the idea of refueling in minutes. Plus all the pollution and residual pollution of batteries.

My diesel is loud but I like the sound...instant power ....and idea of refueling instantly. My rides wouldn't be the same in silent mode....if I wanted a golf cart then I would have bought one.
I'm sure we could find you a sound track with a old diesel running to play on the stereo and mount a under seat subwoofer to shake the seat:)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Old school for me too.
I see the current state of the art in electric off road that the public can actually buy in the EV posts on another forum and it only reinforces my disdain for battery powered vehicles.
No way for me.
Sum it up bottom line there is nothing that is a plus in my mind for my use that a battery is better at.
Overall pollution including production and disposal of the batteries, power, range to refuel, convenience to refuel, convenience of maintenance if you include fixing the corrosion problems, overall cost and then add even more cost to replace the batteries in a few years, weight, etc.
And I love the sound of my 900 mill that will run 60 mph.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I see on Motor Week that Ford will be releasing a 2020 electric F150. 400 mile range on a charge and Ford isn't looking for batteries from other makers or companys. They have set up their own R&D and have built their own battery production factory. A green customer of mine(ie:tree hugging bastard) drives a Leaf. He was here the other day and said the new model Nissan Leaf just doubled the mileage it can go and he was heading off to trade for the newer model.
I think it was on NBC a few months back the story about tests done on electric cars in temps 30-40*F. the range they could go was cut by 50%. The colder it got. The less the range. Telsa of course had the best range at 10*F. But it was still cut 50%.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Do you think that Polaris will adopt that kind of a ride in the future?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Seems can-am is making a lot of nice improvements i would like to see polaris feature on there new machines,more firewall insulation, redesigned muffler and recalibrated cvt. all for quieter operation. And not to mention the increased hp. and trq. on the hd 10 and last but not least a simple parking brake !!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I see on Motor Week that Ford will be releasing a 2020 electric F150. 400 mile range on a charge and Ford isn't looking for batteries from other makers or companys. They have set up their own R&D and have built their own battery production factory. A green customer of mine(ie:tree hugging bastard) drives a Leaf. He was here the other day and said the new model Nissan Leaf just doubled the mileage it can go and he was heading off to trade for the newer model.
I think it was on NBC a few months back the story about tests done on electric cars in temps 30-40*F. the range they could go was cut by 50%. The colder it got. The less the range. Telsa of course had the best range at 10*F. But it was still cut 50%.
Takes alot of juice to keep ones butt warm. A typical room heater for a house room is 1500 watts and the fact you have to keep the windows defrosted too. I can see where and why the loss of range

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
And I read in UTV magazine today Polaris will be releasing a new NorthStar General or RZR for 2020. I'd think a General because I can't picture a fully enclosed rzr with ac and heat.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I was told yesterday that the new defenders may be comming through with ac, as an option for 2020, that would really tighten the gap with the northstar !!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I was told yesterday that the new defenders may be comming through with ac, as an option for 2020, that would really tighten the gap with the northstar !!
This rumor was all but confirmed today buy another canam dealer, the xt cab models of the hd10 will be available with factory air, not shure yet on the hd8 xt cabs yet!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Does anyone think the new diesl model ranger will come to the american market for the 2020 model year ??

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Not with gas being under $3. Stations showing up with gas at $2.49 and thats still almost 80 cents above ROB and usually it's 60 cents here in MN
I would think emissions would come into play before gas vs diesel prices. For anything over 25hp a dpf is required. That adds thousands to the purchase price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 67 Posts