PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
o wise ones!
I own 5 Polaris ATVs(07 Ranger, qty 2 500s, 1 90, and 1 50). My youngest son is now 13 and anxious to start riding the 90. I'm open to letting him "upgrade" from the 50, but the 90 has had an exhaust leak for some time now. Today I got around to looking into it deeper. Well, the exhaust pipe flange (where it connects to the engine) has sheared off basically at the weld. I think I need Polaris part number 0450656 and a gasket 0455371. The gasket is still available, but they've discontinued making the pipe (which actually seems to be the entire muffler system.

My initial thought was to pull it all off and re-weld the flange to the pipe, but the more I look at the bends and angles, there is NO way in hell I'll be able to get the bend/angle correct while sitting on my work bench so I can get my MIG to it.
I then thought maybe I could tack it in place, then take off and finish welding, but theres no way I could get to it, plus it'd be upside down. My welding skills are only average at best if welding on a flat surface with plenty of light and good access to the joint.

Here is a picture of the flange.

Are there any used Polaris "junkyards" out there? where I could purchase a used muffler?
Any other ideas on how to "fix" this?

thanks
Greg

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
You can try power sports nation and see if they may have one. Calling is best.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I would approach the issue by inserting a piece of pipe(thin wall or even conduit) into the flange and welding and with a bit sticking out mount the exhaust pipe to the extension and weld. Attempting butt welds I think as your describing is as my Mother would say "a fools errand"
Can cut the pipe length wise to shrink its diameter
Easy IMO. If the flange is cast use stainless to butter things together

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the concept here. Yes, I was alluding to a butt weld or re-weld (on top of the existing one) of the existing weld. I could even then cut the existing (remaining) exhaust pipe further back. I'd then wind up with 2 welds, but who cares? a short "inner/smaller" piece would bridge the gap. I'd be confident enough in both of my welds if I could complete them on my workbench (vs upside down in the dark) after tac-ing them in place

Would a muffler shop be better erquipped to do this than I am? I have a miller MIG welder that I know would do the job, its my abilities I'm questioning

I would approach the issue by inserting a piece of pipe(thin wall or even conduit) into the flange and welding and with a bit sticking out mount the exhaust pipe to the extension and weld. Attempting butt welds I think as your describing is as my Mother would say "a fools errand"
Can cut the pipe length wise to shrink its diameter
Easy IMO. If the flange is cast use stainless to butter things together

·
Registered
893 Posts
I think you grasp the idea pretty well. Mig welder will do fine especially if you tack and get on the bench. Take your time. Don't start hot as its a pain to fill a hole. Lap welds are easier.
Have you considered getting magnifiers for the helmet?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts