PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This accessory is a very easy install but does require some persistence in adjusting the fit so it can be opened and shut without too much brute force. I love the look it gives the machine, looks like a Baja buggy going for a race!!! The one disadvantage is the view to the rear is pretty much blocked but hey, that is what they make side mirrors for!!
This unit arrived very well packed, I was impressed, and there was no damage. With a unit of this size and weight, it is an accomplishment! The following picture is the product part number, 2879464.

Here are a couple of shots of the packaging. The first one shows the cardboard wedge that was used to hold the unit in place and the second photo is with it removed.

The box of accessories used to mount the holder to the RZR and the tire to the holder are located in a separate box under the tire holder.

These are the contents of that box.

One packaging trick that showed a little thought went into the packaging was the use of rubber bands to hold the quick release pins in place and prevent the ring from damaging the paint if they had simply been left to dangle. It is small things like this that really leave an impression on me and they are cheap and simple.

The following is the part number and label information for the stock wheel.

I forgot to take a picture of the stock tire but it was just wrapped in stretch wrap and the part number inside the packaging. The P/N for the stock 29 inch Bighorn tire is 5414622.
Here are a few shots of the tire holder mounted and wheel/tire mounted to holder. The bottom brackets go just above the weld on the bottom of the roll cage near the bed and then the top brackets are just above the shock remote reservoir. When mounting, leave brackets just snug enough that they can still be moved but not so loose they slide at the least touch. You must align everything so that it opens and closes easily. I found it best to get it close and then fully tighten one side and then work on the other side for final fit. It doesn't matter which side you work with, it swings both ways. This will not be an easy shutting system, more of a slam fit. However, if you leave it a snug fit, it will keep the rattles down. This fitting is the most time consuming part of the installation. Make sure it works well though because once you add the wheel/tire, that extra weight will make an ill fitting tire holder about impossible to open. You really need to be able to open it should you need access to the top of the engine under the bed cover. Another neat thing is that if you go somewhere and just don't want to take the spare, you can remove all 4 pins and remove the holder and wheel/tire without removing the brackets. I really like this and it prevents you having to go through the whole alignment process again.

Here are some pictures of the tire carrier that illustrate how you can open the unit in both directions.

Here are a couple of pictures showing the round extension of the carrier that acts as a stop to prevent the unit from swinging out past the side of the vehicle. With the weight of the carrier and wheel/tire combo, this would throw everything out of alignment if it slipped and opened too far. Having these stops, which as part of the carrier are exceptionally strong and will not break, is a very well thought out safety device.

Overall, this is a quality product and is well packaged and works well provided you spend the proper time and take the proper care in aligning the brackets for smooth operation.

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Curt, in all my rides, the only flat I had was back at camp!! I never carried a spare, so now that we have a spare, watch me need it every trip!! It's easily removable though!!

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Nice write-up, Bruce! Dang, that's a good looking machine!!

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Curt, in all my rides, the only flat I had was back at camp!! Yeah, Bruce same, here, but I have changed out quite a few flats on the trail for others. I will never leave home without a spare! :) Rode with a couple that had RZR900 Crew recently. That machine was awesome over the rough trails we ran. Moreover, on the tight turns it was not all that bad either. Yeah, he had to back up a couple of times, but what a ride that machine is. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Speaking of spare tires.... for those (me) who wish not to buy one.. Has anybody here "slime" their tires with success?

I've done wheel barrel tires, boat trailer, small bike tires.... with good success.. Just a thought...

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
A lot of guys run Slime (or a variation of it). I'm not a big fan because it typically doesn't work on the most common problem you have in this terrain.....sidewall cuts due to "pinch flats". Plus, having Slime in the tire can make it difficult for a plug to work if the need should arise.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So.. a plug kit and a hand or elec pump is the way to go? make sense for larger punched holes...

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts
X2 on what Jerry said! Couple of other things to consider with slime is that quite a few folks have reported extensive rusting of their rims under the tires. Also makes a mess if you to unmount your tire for any reason. I read on another forum that a guy went out to his shed to get a bottle and it was frozen solid - for you that live up north, that may be a consideration. (to be fair, Slime claims their product is non corrosive and good down to -35*F).

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I have used slime here in Arizona for years with not a problem. We have so many thorns in this country it is almost a necessity to slime them. I have had no problems with corrosion, but can't speak for freezing as we live where it is warm! :dispirited:

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ken, you would absolutely love the way the new 1000 4 seater rides. It makes the 900 feel like a horse and buggy and I thought the 900 was great!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts