PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proposed U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission mandates negatively affect handling and performance capabilities of Side-by-Side Vehicles

Minneapolis, November 7, 2014- Polaris® Industries Inc. (NYSE: PII), the leading manufacturer of off-road vehicles, today asked off-road enthusiasts to stand up and let their voices be heard regarding the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) proposed mandates for off-road, side-by-side vehicles (ROVs).

Despite willingness by Polaris and other manufacturers, along with the Recreation Off-Highway Vehicle Association (ROHVA), to work in unison with the CPSC to develop ongoing safety improvements for all off-highway vehicles, the CPSC appears determined to mandate handling and performance capabilities, and require excessive and potentially unsafe restraint systems for future ROVs. If not halted, the mandate will unnecessarily limit design freedom in the off-road industry and negatively impact off-road customers.

The proposed CPSC “rule” would require Polaris and other manufacturers to make arbitrary design changes to all future side-by-side vehicles. The proposed changes could lead to future off-road vehicles with reduced steering response, reduction in ground clearance, and more restrictive driver and passenger restraint and seatbelt systems.

“As an off-road community, we have a tremendous challenge in front of us,” said Paul Vitrano, VP, global government relations for Polaris. “As a unified community, we can protect our right to design, build and ride for today and the future.”

Polaris is asking off-road enthusiasts to reach out to Congress, and voice their opposition. More information about the proposed mandate and how to speak out can be found at CPSC Ruling - Protect Your Right To Ride | Polaris Off Road Vehicles. Also be sure to voice your opinion on the CPSC Contact Form at Send a Message to CPSC's Information Center | CPSC.gov.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Done. The Government sure seems to ruin everything don't they...

·
Registered
762 Posts
I did my post, here is what I wrote;

I strongly urge the CPSC to work closely with the UTV and side by side community of manufacturers, retailers, and consumers as to what is necessary for safety and what is not. As a consumer, I know my limits, and that of my machines, whether working or playing. I hope you have the ability to hear our voice as we say we don't want government intrusion in this industry.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Done. Government involvement ruins everything!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Done and Bump... everyone should do this... it's simple and easy. Follow the links and you don't have to write your own email if you don't want. Once you enter your address it will automatically place the email addresses for your senator and representative in the letter.

It's so easy a Honda rider could do it. :biggrin:

·
Registered
762 Posts
I got an email reply from them yesterday, thanking me for taking an interest.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Done and passed on 2 my friends

·
Registered
103 Posts
Boy hard to believe wonder if any of the people making the rules have ever been in a side by side, and I thought it was only my Canadian Government who was nuts at times!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wanted to update you on the progress of the campaign to fight the CPSC proposed mandates for Side-by-Sides.

·So far, nearly 40,000 letters have been submitted to congress, but we need more

·More than 6M people have seen the Polaris campaign but we need more online, in print, forum postings and social

I want to thank you for your help in getting the word out, but we have approximately 60 more days to let congress know how we feel. Please continue to anywhere you can urging people to speak out. You are a huge part of this effort and we appreciate anything you can do to continue to keep this topic top of mind. This is incredibly important for the future of our industry!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts