PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at winch,s. like the polaris pro 6000, nice fit to rangers bumper and rocker and remote option. they cost twice as much as other brands, are they that much better? would like to hear what the club has to say.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've been very happy with my Warn Provantage with Provantage snow plow mount. Shop around, prices can vary by item.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Not in my opinion, get a nice warn winch for half price, can get a Xtreme winch for about 230 performs great, moto-alliance, viper, I've owned all these, performed great

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I seriously doubt that Polaris makes winchs. More than likely they outsource them and have the Polaris name put on them. They may use a well known manufacturer with a good reputation or they may have them built to their specs in China. I haven't looked at the Polaris winch but I suspect they get a premium price for it and for the convenience of a more or less plug and play setup.
IMHO, consider the type of use, the frequency of use, what you'll be using the winch for, i.e. merely lifting a snow plow or pulling your rig out of deep mud or up steep slopes, the quality of the product, reputation and cost and your skill level if you intend to install it yourself, then make a choice. Based upon what I've read (not personal experience) many people have had good luck with the inexpensive Harbor Freight winchs. I've read a few complaints about even some of the expensive well known brands as well, so some if the outcome may be luck of the draw.
In my case I only use a winch for lifting my snow plow and the use is infrequent. I purchased the 3500# Badlands winch from HF winch is more than adequate for that job and smaller and lighter than a winch with greater capacity and cost was less than $100 on sale. At that price should it expire prematurely I won't feel bad about tossing it and buying another, probably newer, improved model since HF seems to be continually upgrading their products.
If you use is daily, heavy duty use then you might be more confident in a well know name brand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2019 Ranger Northstar and installed the Polaris Pro HD 6,000 lb winch.
It is easy to install and the cabling is of proper length, no having to wind up/cut off the excess cable.
Works great used it several times to stretch fencing while I was installing it.
Polaris accessories are expensive but the fitment in great and the equipment is robust.
73, Rex

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have had good luck with my Super ATV 4500lb winch with rocker switch and wireless remote and came with synthetic rope. Half price of Polaris winch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with pyromedic, I also bought the Harbor Freight Badlands 3500 lbs winch. I use mine for plowing snow . At 100 bucks if it last 3-4 years , I’m not out much and will get a new one again from HF . I’ll be able to get 6 to 7 winches from there for the cost of the polaris winch. my co-worker has the Polaris winch with remote and he says that he’s had to replace the batteries a couple time already this year and it’s been a pain. HF badlands winch you can get a wireless remote but I opted not and to just use the corded hand control while plowing. It’s been working for me. I guess it comes down to what your comfortable with. I also opted to buy my light bar off eBay for $35 a Nilight brand compared to the others that can run $200 plus. More than happy with the light output. I guess I’m just cheap

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
In another forum I read a post from the president of Motolliance bashing the SuperATV vendor there.
Business men don't do that and I told him so. I won't spend a dime supporting Motolliance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just mounted a HF Badlands 5000 on the front of my 2016 900Xp crew. I have full confidence it will pull me out of sticky situations. I agree with others, depends on what you are planning to use it for. I do occasional hill country Texas rides and use it for property landscape work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been looking at winch,s. like the polaris pro 6000, nice fit to rangers bumper and rocker and remote option. they cost twice as much as other brands, are they that much better? would like to hear what the club has to say.
Looked at a lot of different Winch,s. decided to with the 6000 lb Viper elite wide spool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have the HF Badlands 5000 lb. winch and have used it a few times to do some log winching. Works great. I bought the extended warranty just in case. If your going to use it alot, you might want to spend more.
Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Warn no longer makes polaris winches I just burnt up a brand new never used 6000 lb hp pro Don’t ask how dummy burnt it up. Fried the motor called warn and told they designed and polaris out sourced

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a Super Winch Terra 35 on my 03 Ranger 500 installed in 2012 and still works great

·
Registered
8 Posts
My young grandkids managed to burn up my polaris winch. (Lesson here is disconnect the remote operating switch when not in use). Yes the Polaris brand is much more expensive. Bought one at Northern Tool for about half what the Polaris dealer quoted. Works fine, but I'm not a "heavy duty" user.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looked at a lot of different Winch,s. decided to with the 6000 lb Viper elite wide spool.
Almost ordered the viper winch. I thought I would shop a little more. I found a Warn 55 Axon for
$553.83 from Atv Parts Depot, through Amazon. not a bad price.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts