PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a good machine with a dirty Mikki carburetor on a Robin EH65 engine, according to the manual. In fact I think it is an 18 hp EH 63. With just under 1000 hours I wonder if it needs an overhaul to clear carbon out of it. No oil consumption, no electrical production, a lot of backfiring under load, smooth, cheerful idle, unreliable starting.

Last winter I took out the battery box, discovered there is lots of room down there, and built a platform for the trolling motor battery from my bass boat, fastened in place with a web strap. That worked pretty well all winter, but the carburetor/fuel system won't keep running. The last two trips to a service guy produced a temporary benefit only.

Here's my question: is there a new engine I could drop into place without a lot of modification? Robin engines are impossible to find in Ontario any more. How about the Harbour Freight 22 hp? It looks pretty wide.

I don't want a new machine, just a working engine. A good overhaul would suit me fine.

Informed suggestions only, please.

·
Registered
2005 Ranger XP 800
151 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have informed answers for you, but uninformed answers say that the TM can be made quite capable... and I saw someone in another forum putting a 700 EFI into theirs.
I know that engine swaps sound more daunting than they are on these, I put an 800 into my '05 XP over the winter.
Recommend you head over here Pour Boy Polaris Rangers (1999-2009) if you're on facebook. The guy that runs the group is basically an expert on the TM, on getting them running well, rebuilding the carbs, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I don't have informed answers for you, but uninformed answers say that the TM can be made quite capable... and I saw someone in another forum putting a 700 EFI into theirs.
I know that engine swaps sound more daunting than they are on these, I put an 800 into my '05 XP over the winter.
Recommend you head over here Pour Boy Polaris Rangers (1999-2009) if you're on facebook. The guy that runs the group is basically an expert on the TM, on getting them running will, rebuilding the carbs, etc.
Vilord:

That link is just what I was seeking. Thank you for it. I have applied for membership in that Facebook group.

Rod

1 - 3 of 3 Posts