PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

Power steering question

17K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  SC Guy 
#1 ·
Im planning on picking up my 900 in March, just before the start of turkey season, and continue to watch the forum and something that continues to surprise me is the nearly unanimous support toward power steering, an accessory that strikes me as unnecessary, and another source of future problems, maintenance and obviously, the added upfront cost of 1000$. However, despite my view, those who have it say they wont own another without it, those who didnt get it, wish they did.

I,d like to hear from those who believe you must have it as well as those who didnt get it and dont think it is necessary. Frankly, i struggle to see why is it so valuable since these 900s are not hard to steer, especially when in turf mode.

Given the overwhelming support for steering, i am rethinking my position, which was, there is no way i am adding 1000$ to the overall cost for a feature like that. A few hundred is one thing but a grand is a big expense, now and in the future when it breaks. My plan is to get a basic sage green, no frills, other than potentially this option but looking for feedback on reliability and under what conditions i will find this feature so important, useful?

All of my riding is on 5000 acres of ranch land in florida, where i hunt, avg 450 miles per year.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like you have a great place to ride :). I will be the first to omit that not getting power steering on the front end cost me more than $1K and I will NOT own one without it. I would not compare the difference between power steering vs. non the same as vehicles, but for my use, I routinely have one hand occupied whether moving branches going down trails, holding something to drink :), etc., and constantly having to turn around in tight places, and you will come to enjoy the power steering, simply effortless. Is the price steep, you bet and if in your budget, it's a very nice option to have.

#3 · (Edited)
Its all in how you ride. I have two machines, one with and one without...here is my take:

For just putting around at low speeds, hunting, and WORK I love the power steering on my Ranger. Makes it so much easier to turn when there is a plow hanging off the front of it for example or when I'm on soft ground.

That being said for more aggressive driving and messing around I like NOT having power steering like in our RZR, the feedback is nice as opposed to the "numb" feeling you get with power steering. Its also pretty easy to turn, just not the one finger turning like the EPS models. We had a 2012 non eps Ranger 800 before the 900 and I rarely found myself "working" to turn the wheel. Plowing snow was the biggest workout with that machine but it wasn't too bad.

Basically YOU need to decide for yourself, go test drive one with and one without and YOU make the call if its worth your extra hard earned $$$

#4 ·
I had EXACTLY the same thoughts as you... until my first ride with PS! Now I'm one of those guys that wouldn't be without it. The biggest surprise to me was at the end of the day - I didn't realize while I was riding without PS, how much energy it took to drive the thing, didn't realize I was getting tired because of the steering! If your ranch land is fairly level without a bunch of tight turns you probably don't "need" it, but it sure is nice!

#5 ·
I own two Rangers, a 2009 700 and a 2013 900 with EPS. After driving both I would not own another without power steering. You don't get the kick back while negotiating rough terrain like you do often times without power steering. The fatigue factor that Forde mentioned has merit. Yes you can get along without it, but the advantages with power steering makes the option affordable for me.

#6 ·
Mainly got mine for work, load her up with 1500lbs of spray equipment and away I go, lots of road time, tight turns, rough ground, hand sprayer, levers to pull and don't have PS. Now I know I'm in the minority here but I don't need it, logging over 1000miles a year over all types of terrain I just can't see why, I'm fatigued at the end of the day but it's not from my arms. My though is I'd rather spend the money somewhere else and this system has a lot of parts and if or when they fail it ain't cheap. I'm not slamming anyone who has it, they may think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and that's ok, to each his own but for me I'll do without.

#7 ·
get it you wont regret it it is worth it in my eyes mines over 5 years now still working T&S

#8 ·
I had a Ranger 800 w/o ps and now a 900 with PS. I would feel wore out after a day of riding on my 800 and now with PS I feel great after a hard day of riding. I too am someone that will not have a sxs without power steering.

The other day I was riding at Sabine ATV Park. And my buddy wanted to drive my Ranger so I drove his stock 2014 900. Mine has 31" outlaws and his has stock tires and no PS. After 5 minutes he admits that he screwed up by not getting the PS! He could turn the 31s with 1 finger and that just amazed him!

#10 ·
.....No steering wheel kick back is one of the features along with little effort. Get PS you wont regret it.
Ditto. I've driven MANY machines over the years and I am one of those who'll never own another machine without it. Several years ago on one of the first few rides in my '06 XP, I clipped a large rock (more like a small boulder) with my right front wheel and it yanked the steering wheel out of my hand, nearly dislocating my thumb in the process. I had difficulty driving out of the woods and couldn't use that thumb for nearly a month. That was my first lesson learned about where to NOT put your hands (and thumbs) while driving the Ranger.

#11 ·
I bought the base model sage 900 crew no PS. I load 1000 lbs of feed and hay several times a week and it doesn't bother me at all. Tight turns and so on are not a problem. I live on a ranch as well, no trail riding just cruising and working. I also have a '75 FJ-40 without PS.

#12 ·
I will chime in and say I bought my Ranger used. I did not have P.S. I put Super ATV Power steering kit on it. I have shoulder problems along with other issues. Having P.S. sure makes driving the trails in the hunting club a lot more enjoyable.

#13 ·
Turning w/o PS is no big deal, but that's not the point...it is just a much nicer driving experience with it, especially with big tires...

You can have stock shocks but upgraded are nicer...

You can have stock clutching but upgraded is nicer...

You can have stock lighting but upgraded is nicer...

....blah blah blah, you get the point...PS is nicer :)

#16 ·
Good post here and pretty much sums it up. All I would add is, yes you can get by just fine without it, just don't ever drive one with it or you will wish you had it.

#14 ·
No Kick back,,Great
Reduced End of Day Fatigue ,,I ride slow and hunt all day ,at 63 yrs I could not do it with out EPS ,But,I ride narrow Steep Trails some turn so sharp I can see my own a Tail Gate ,have to back up to turn much of the time,, rock ditches creeks .etc,,

My ,900 Browning edition has EPS,,
My 800 does not ,,on flat ground or even some hills with decent roads the 800 is not to bad it steers really well ,

If you are a young strong man riding in some what flat country with wide roads,that are not hard packed Clay,,you will be fine,Heck isn't Florida mostly SAND,,,LOL
Either way good luck

#15 ·
I got a 13 800 hold over last year . With out ps. Didn't want it $ . Put the $ into a cab, heater. Got a really good deal. They couldn't get it sold. Every time a guy's wife would drive one with PS. Sold! Now I'm sure it will be worth less when I trade too. But budget at the time. Said no. Had a 06 500. So if this one makes it 7 years . ?

Spraying around trees, yard, ect. Yea would be nice. Chasing cows, crop scouting, road. . No.

#18 · (Edited)
if you get an LE power steering is standard now.

honestly when I got mine I opted for no power steering. 1000 dollars was a lot for the ability to turn the wheels at a stand still on tar for me. and the cost of the Cab, heater and windshield wiper where already enough of a shock to my brain XD

it's been 2 years now and really It drives just fine. even on tar!

#20 ·
I have not seen any post on the polaris EPS unit failing on its own, but have seen posts where the failure was induced by the owner/mechanic.

When you say power steering components, the only difference between EPS/non EPS, is the EPS unit and an extra steering shaft.
The steering rack is the same for both.

#21 ·
Globe Motors makes the EPS for Polaris.
Globe Motors, Inc. was formerly known as Labinal Components and Systems, Inc. and changed its name to Globe Motors, Inc. in October 2000. The company was founded in 1940 and is based in Dayton, Ohio. Globe Motors, Inc. operates as a subsidiary of Snecma SA. As of October 18, 2013, Globe Motors, Inc. operates as a subsidiary of Allied Motion Technologies Inc.
They make EPS for many MFR's and are made in the USA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.