PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at ways on trying to prevent theft of my 2009 Ranger 700 XP. At the moment I have it in my garage which works out great but soon I'll have my car back from the body shop and it will go in the garage which will make no room for the ranger. I live in a residential neighborhood with small lots and not enough room to get the machine to the backyard. I don't have any way of keeping out of view from people who drive by and don't have anything I could chain it too. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you want to chain it up you could dig a hole, pour a couple bags of concrete and install a recessed attachment point in the concrete. If it’s on a concrete pad, you can drill a couple holes and install bolts/attachment points like bolting down a safe to a garage floor.
Done right either way could be recessed and they would be hardly noticeable when you’re not using them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'm wondering if I park it in front of my garage door, if I can secure it to my tractor that sits inside the garage. Maybe run a cable under the bottom of the door to the tractor. My plans are to eventually leave the cutter that is attached to the tractor at the ranch which might give me enough room to park the ranger behind the tractor in the garage. Just not sure how soon I'll be able to make it out to the ranch.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,996 Posts
Nothing will stop a determined thief, all you can do is make it difficult to steal, hopefully so difficult they will move on to an easier target.

Insurance, as mentioned above, might be worthwhile but be certain that the annual cost truly provides coverage of the true value of the vehicle. Insurance companies notoriously try to pay out as little as possible and will depreciate vehicles based upon age. Rates may be so high that insurance isn't worthwhile and some insurance may not cover accessories you add.

If you are going to try to lock it up outside I suggest a few methods to make it difficult for thieves.
1) A poured concrete base as mentioned above with a loop of steel as large as possible in cross section to prevent hack sawing or cutting with bolt cutters. Use large square link case hardened chain which will damage bolt cutters and resist saws and a lock that has high resistance to those same tools. Placing a lock inside a welded steel box can make it more difficult to defeat. Place the concrete tie down so that when the Ranger is parked it is over the top of the anchor so it will be difficult to dig out or use tools to cut the chain. Of course these provide little protection from a cutting torch and today with cordless reciprocating saws the job of thieves is easier.
2) Light the area well with a light that is high enough that thieves cannot break it and one that cannot be disconnected easily.
3) Keep the vehicle inside an enclosure with a high chain link fence that allows little room for thieves to work on your security features.
4) Make the vehicle undrivable by disconnecting the fuel pump, removing a tire/wheel, removing the battery or a boot that secured the tire/wheel so it cannot roll. Use one or any combination of these methods to dissuade thieves. The problem with these methods is that you can't just jump in and drive off when you're ready to use the vehicle. That measne something as simple as flipping a hidden fuel pump switch or something as complex as replacing a wheel/tire you've removed.
5) Thieves don't like noise or attention so an alarm of some type that sounds loudly when someone enters the chain link enclosure. Of course the alarm will need to be discreet and difficult to disable so thieves won't be able to inactivate it.
6) Out of sight, out of mind applies for thieves that might be out for a crime of opportunity. If they don't know you have it they won't try to steal it. If possible keep the vehicle in the back yard out of sight from passers by, and close to the house, maybe close to a bedroom window. The idea of being caught or shot from a bedroom window might dissuade less determined thieves. Build a small shed to keep it out of sight, add a layer of security and also keep it out of the weather and away from varmints.
7) Security cameras well placed out of reach with clearly visible signs telling would be thieves that the area is under surveillance. At best this is a deterrent and might help authorities catch thieves after the fact and help convict them, but it won't stop those who use methods to obscure their identity.

Reactions: PhillipT

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice fellas. I'm considering all these options and trying to see which will make the most sense in my situation. A buddy of mine told me when he had his old ranger parked outside all he did was run a padlock through the rear brake rotor so it couldn't be rolled off. I like that idea but would also like to do a few other things as well to help keep it secure.

·
Administrator
7,761 Posts
Thanks for all the advice fellas. I'm considering all these options and trying to see which will make the most sense in my situation. A buddy of mine told me when he had his old ranger parked outside all he did was run a padlock through the rear brake rotor so it couldn't be rolled off. I like that idea but would also like to do a few other things as well to help keep it secure.
Nowadays you have to worry about having ten ILLEGALS sneaking up and carrying the Ranger away.... Insurance is the only sure thing to avoid a loss.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looking at ways on trying to prevent theft of my 2009 Ranger 700 XP. At the moment I have it in my garage which works out great but soon I'll have my car back from the body shop and it will go in the garage which will make no room for the ranger. I live in a residential neighborhood with small lots and not enough room to get the machine to the backyard. I don't have any way of keeping out of view from people who drive by and don't have anything I could chain it too. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
I live on 42 acres & keep my rig in the barn. My security is signage saying "Trespassers will be shot". Plus 2 dogs that alert me when intruders are on my property.
I've shot one person so far but I'm the shoulder. Purely legal where I live.
With you? Not sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We had a friend who left his expensive machine in a garage in Bullhead City every summer. He would remove all 4 wheels, put the machine on blocks, and used a cut-proof cable to anchor it to a large ring set in concrete in the floor. hauled the tires and wheels back to Idaho. He claimed they would steal the damn thing over the summer if he didn't do it that way.

Reactions: yooper265

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I did buy a Brite Red club thing. It goes hooks on the brake pulling it up and I tilt the wheel down and it hooks on the steering wheel. I use it when I go somewhere atving and leave the ranger in the hotel parking lot for the night. Or even on the trailer over night. I put the club on. And I have progressive insurance also.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I did buy a Brite Red club thing. It goes hooks on the brake pulling it up and I tilt the wheel down and it hooks on the steering wheel. I use it when I go somewhere atving and leave the ranger in the hotel parking lot for the night. Or even on the trailer over night. I put the club on. And I have progressive insurance also.
The Club ? You might as well tie a rope around the steering wheel lol

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
So who the hell travels around with a cordless drill and a drill index. Whatever.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I'm sure. Nothing safe.

Reactions: rowedoo
1 - 19 of 19 Posts