PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a PSA to all Ranger owners that have the rectangular air filter box with air filter part number 7081706. It is imperative that you, are aware of and learn how to, correctly service the air filter. The box has hinges in the back that if not correctly seated allow for an 1/8" gap that allows foreign debris to enter the engine. I highly recommend removing the air box to service it. It literally takes an extra 10 minutes max.

Below is a picture of what the hidden front of the air box looks like when incorrectly seated. The second is the throttle body that should be shiny silver. This is what will happen to those living in a dusty environment. This particular Ranger 900 has only 188 hours and is needing a complete engine rebuild.

About five years ago I made this exact mistake with a customers Ranger that cost me about $1K. I didn't know but hopefully you now do.

Gas Wood Metal Composite material Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Rim Auto part

·
Registered
82 Posts
It really sucks for customers who don't know. Had a customer that did all of his own services and he brought it in with a temp sensor issue. As Im pulling the intake I see it is full of dirt. Sure enough he didn't have the hinges in place.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see it way too often. The box filters great if assembled correctly. Once enough cylinder wall damage is done they start drinking oil and with no oil pressure sensor the bottom end gets affected too.

Interestingly, on the 900s only the passenger cylinder is affected. The way the plenum is shaped the dirt only flows to one side.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Light Blue Yellow Automotive tire Fish

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Auto part Font Metal

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Wood Personal protective equipment

just an addition to this, if you have tracks and run in the snow, get the intake rerout kit. This is what happens if the frog skins are iced up and the operator doesn’t keep them cleared. This was our 2018 900, we are guessing filter sucked in during the winter due to ice and then pulled dirt in while running it in the spring summer before we serviced it. Luckily the engine still runs okay and doesn’t burn oil but I am certain there is damage.

Reactions: jimh406

·
Registered
‘17 Ranger 570 Midsize
1,261 Posts
Thanks again to all of you that are pointing this out. Mine has a round filter, but that's pretty scary for the ones with a flat filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts