PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ranger XP 1000 Crew
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys I am new here. I am trying to locate a wiring diagram without a relay, to wire any accessory with a 5 pin led switch. I have tried every configuration I can think of, and the closest I have gotten is constant power to the accessory and the light on the switch only comes on when the switch is on. I want the bottom lights on the switch to come on when the key is keyed on, then the top of the switch lights to come on when the accessory is powered on. Please help I have 7 accessories that need to be wired up by next weekend.

any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jacob

·
Registered
2020 Ranger XP1000 Northstar Crew Ultimate
162 Posts
Unless said accessories draw 1 amp or so a piece i would not recommend trying to accomplish this without a relay for each separate add-on. The relay is the best way to ensure you do not overstress the switch contacts, keep your battery from accidentally being drained by leaving an accessory on. Additionally, the ignition circuit on the pulse is only 10 amps so you would not want to run everything off that unless you dont want to run all that stuff at once. Remember that you would also want to calculate voltage drop based on current draw and length of wire run. All of these play together to keep those light bars and other cool options working flawlessly.

·
Registered
2019 Ranger XP 1000 Crew
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless said accessories draw 1 amp or so a piece i would not recommend trying to accomplish this without a relay for each separate add-on. The relay is the best way to ensure you do not overstress the switch contacts, keep your battery from accidentally being drained by leaving an accessory on. Additionally, the ignition circuit on the pulse is only 10 amps so you would not want to run everything off that unless you dont want to run all that stuff at once. Remember that you would also want to calculate voltage drop based on current draw and length of wire run. All of these play together to keep those light bars and other cool options working flawlessly.
does adding the relay help the lights on the switch come on when keyed on? or does this just help with not overstressing the switch?

·
Registered
162 Posts
The switch backlighting will not be effected by the addition of or not installing a relay.

Do you happen to have an accessory with a prewired switch and relay but it is only powered by a battery connection and because of this all the switch lighting stays on all the time because there is no keyed power for the switch?

·
Registered
2019 Ranger XP 1000 Crew
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They all come with presides switches but they use the ugly little round 3 pin switches that don’t go with anything else in the ranger interior. So I’m swapping to the 5 pin Mictuning or Niilite switch. I can either
1. Get constant power (once pulse harness is plugged in light comes on even with our switch)
2. Accessory comes on but no lights on switch come on
3 Light on switch comes on when accessory is switched on but no light when keyed on with ignition

The switch backlighting will not be effected by the addition of or not installing a relay.

Do you happen to have an accessory with a prewired switch and relay but it is only powered by a battery connection and because of this all the switch lighting stays on all the time because there is no keyed power for the switch?

·
Registered
162 Posts
So based on what i think you have for a switch use this configuration. Rather than battery, feed the switch with ignition power from the pulse bar. You could jumper (daisy chain) ignition power from switch to switch. Then where it says outgoing, run that to 86 on a relay. 85 of the relay is good ground like found on the pulse connector. 30 from the relay is battery power from the pulse connector. And lastly 87 on the relay feeds the accessory. I can’t stress enough the quality of crimps and wire size as to how well an accessory works, especially if it is a high draw device like some of the larger light bars. This setup will make all the backlighting of the switch and the accessory work only with the key on.

Rectangle Font Automotive design Multimedia Electric blue

·
Registered
2019 Ranger XP 1000 Crew
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So based on what i think you have for a switch use this configuration. Rather than battery, feed the switch with ignition power from the pulse bar. You could jumper (daisy chain) ignition power from switch to switch. Then where it says outgoing, run that to 86 on a relay. 85 of the relay is good ground like found on the pulse connector. 30 from the relay is battery power from the pulse connector. And lastly 87 on the relay feeds the accessory. I can’t stress enough the quality of crimps and wire size as to how well an accessory works, especially if it is a high draw device like some of the larger light bars. This setup will make all the backlighting of the switch and the accessory work only with the key on.

View attachment 144643
So let’s just say for shits and giggles I do it with out a relay what would that look like and I’m a novice so can you explain the daisy chain? What do I chain together ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts