PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My 2015 Ranger 900XP (850hrs, 13128km) has developed PVT/Transmission issues and I need some second opinions before I start sourcing parts here in Africa.

I do have 26" tires on the back, but the sounds predate the new tires. Other than that it is stock as far as drive train/engine parts.

1. In Turf Mode, there is often a ratcheting sound before it will start moving in reverse. I've had the differential locked for the last two weeks and it has only made this sound once. Once it is moving, there are no issues. I thought that it might be the small turf mode gears I've read about, but the sound is there (less often though) with the differential locked. I now think the issue is the reverse chain, but don't want to take the transmission out and apart until I get a second opinion.

2. It often 'jerks' when starting to move forward. There is no hesitation after the start, no loss of power and no slipping out of gear. I though this might be a worn belt/PVT issue. I took off the belt this morning and the belt looks fine; no hour-glassing, no delimitation, no cracks, when installed there is play in and out. The drive clutch (the entire assembly) has a small amount of play in and out, the roller bearing in the drive clutch spins freely each way has play in and out on the shaft. There is no apparent damage to the sheaves on either the drive or driven clutches. Any ideas on this?

I think I've covered everything, but please ask if you need more information to give an opinion.

Thanks
Colin

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Hello all,

My 2015 Ranger 900XP (850hrs, 13128km) has developed PVT/Transmission issues and I need some second opinions before I start sourcing parts here in Africa.

I do have 26" tires on the back, but the sounds predate the new tires. Other than that it is stock as far as drive train/engine parts.

1. In Turf Mode, there is often a ratcheting sound before it will start moving in reverse. I've had the differential locked for the last two weeks and it has only made this sound once. Once it is moving, there are no issues. I thought that it might be the small turf mode gears I've read about, but the sound is there (less often though) with the differential locked. I now think the issue is the reverse chain, but don't want to take the transmission out and apart until I get a second opinion.

2. It often 'jerks' when starting to move forward. There is no hesitation after the start, no loss of power and no slipping out of gear. I though this might be a worn belt/PVT issue. I took off the belt this morning and the belt looks fine; no hour-glassing, no delimitation, no cracks, when installed there is play in and out. The drive clutch (the entire assembly) has a small amount of play in and out, the roller bearing in the drive clutch spins freely each way has play in and out on the shaft. There is no apparent damage to the sheaves on either the drive or driven clutches. Any ideas on this?

I think I've covered everything, but please ask if you need more information to give an opinion.

Thanks
Colin
Hey Colin, I would sure check over the axle cv's back there thoroughly and dumping the AGL for inspection would be a priority. The 'jerk' sure sounds like a belt issue to me. Africa ?? And I thought getting parts here was rough..........

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jungleman, I didn't even consider the CVs. I'll take the rear end apart tomorrow or Friday, and have a look. I've always had solid axle rear ends on cars. Front axle CVs on a car are easy to diagnose with turning the vehicle in circles. Not sure about a rear end CV. I'll pull the axles and check the splines for wear, but how can you tell if it is the actual joint that is bad? Will it have a 'rough' feel to it when you manipulate it? The boots are all fine and there is no play in the axle if you grab it and push/pull/torque on it by hand.

Yes, parts are a challenge here in South Africa. About all I can get is genuine Polaris and that takes a few weeks and costs about 200% of the cost in America. I have a small window of opportunity to get some small parts into the country via a friend returning from overseas, but that is rare.

Thanks again
Colin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts