PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been running the new QSC Primary long enough now I figure it's safe to give it a fair review.

Surprised it seems like hardly anyone runs QSC clutching components in their Rangers on here, at Polaris ATV Forums that's what most of us run. Anyways:

First off my initial impressions were how well built this thing is. Its a work of art really. Some examples are that come to mind are the buttons - which if you don't know are the round discs in the sides of the spider assembly that slide against the towers as the clutch opens and closes. The oem ones are about the diameter of a dime. These are about the diameter of a quarter. That makes the towers wider and stronger to take more hp. The rollers are also in the spider and are what the weights push against to close the clutch against the belt. These are wider too which will help spread the load out and reduce wear and give more even belt squeeze. This give a much more positive belt engagement. The spider is also wider and thicker between the towers to make it stronger too. These should far outlast the oem primary even in the most extreme conditions and use.

Acceleration from a dead stop is hard to explain, initially engagement is silky smooth, MUCH better than stock, yet seems to pull harder down low if floored. On my first WOT run I was on asphalt and it actually chirped the tires LOL!! Wouldn't do that before!!! Also top speed is about the same but it seems to get there much quicker and there is no drop in RPM in the midrange.

I am running the stock sorting and weights with this primary BUT have the full QSC clutch kit ready to go and I will be installing it this weekend. Also may eventually install a Team Tied secondary, but we will see as I expect even bigger gains in initial acceleration and midrange along with a much quicker backshift with just the clutch kit alone. Stay Tuned !!!!

IMG_0871.JPG IMG_0872.JPG

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
That is definitely a nice looking primary. How does the cost compare to an OEM replacement?

·
Registered
419 Posts
good review - I am torn between this and the CV tech

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys the pics really don't do it justice either

Not sure on the OEM cost but this primary can be had for about $400. QSC Clutch kit (weights and springs) is just over $200. So roughly $600 for the whole setup. Got mine from Ryan at Rvs Performance - Atv Motorcycle And Snowmobile Service, Accessories / Performance Parts, Engine Repair GREAT guy to deal with.

IF the clutch kit does what it did for my sportsmans I will be Extremely happy! Heck, just the primary bumped up the performace noticeably while running the stock sorting. The performance gains that were gained on the ATV's post clutch kit were night and day. I have an 850 and a 500 with their clutch kits and it really woke each one of the up. Will post my results after the weekend.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE

Have logged enough miles now with the full QSC kit (primary clutch and weights/springs) in to give what I feel is a fair review .

-Initial engagement is silky smooth, barely touching the gas and I start creeping forward.

-If you floor it from a dead stop it WILL spin rear both tires on dry pavement. In high gear.

-Midrange is instantaneous, pulls harder to top end.

-The whistling noise some of us 900 guys have is 90% eliminated if I didn't have a full cab I'd bet I wouldn't even notice it. VERY HAPPY with that because it was so damn ANNOYING!

Conclusion: If you looking for better engagement down low but more importantly IMPROVED PERFORMANCE I would recommend this kit. Its amazing!!!

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
A very good write up! Appreciate hearing all the results of the various things folks are doing to their
Rangers. How is the QSC for engine braking? I have to say the Duraclutch has got my attention, but I want to see some time slip by before spending the money to see if it holds up over the longer term. I want engine braking and to get away from that non-braking bearing that seizes up where having to disassemble the entire clutch to change it is a real pain. At that point it is almost better to buy a new primary complete if you don't have the tools and ability to take it apart. Just to labor intensive to take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You can add EBS to the QSC setup. I didn't. I know on the Polaris ATV's lots of folks opt for the EBS option and they love it.

The QSC Primary + Clutch kit was about $600, that is HALF the price of a duraclutch and I'd bet a QSC clutched ranger would outrun any duraclutched ranger. Belt life the duraclutch may have the edge BUT the QSC is far superior to stock setup so the belts gonna last longer nomatter what. On the ATV's your hardly ever here of guys blowing belts when the slap on big mud tires and clutch it with a QSC kit. I like the concept of the duraclutch but when I can get the same silky smooth engagement AND a healthy acceleration/midrange bump for half the price that's where my money is gonna go. Another thing I should add is I actually gained some top end mph. I'm gonna guess that it has to be the way the sheeves are designed in the QSC Primary.

Also if your going to run larger tires the kit can be custom tailored to YOUR MACHINE

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great review.Ive been wanting to get a QSC Clutch kit for my 14' Ranger.I wonder if i would be happy with just the clutch kit itself or if i should get the primary as well.I mainly just want to get rid of the annoying stall.I had the QSC Kit in my 850xp and loved it.

Charles

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
Very nice review, looks like a good piece

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Great review.Ive been wanting to get a QSC Clutch kit for my 14' Ranger.I wonder if i would be happy with just the clutch kit itself or if i should get the primary as well.I mainly just want to get rid of the annoying stall.I had the QSC Kit in my 850xp and loved it.

Charles
I'd just go with the $200 QSC Kit if I was you. It completely transforms the machine. Install is SUPER easy too. The only reason I got the replacement QSC Primary is because I got a deal on it. The regular kit does the same thing for these Rangers as it does for the Sportsmans, surprised hardly anyone one here runs them! Lots of people missing out on some easy performance gains!!!

Reactions: TG-OK

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'd just go with the $200 QSC Kit if I was you. It completely transforms the machine. Install is SUPER easy too. The only reason I got the replacement QSC Primary is because I got a deal on it. The regular kit does the same thing for these Rangers as it does for the Sportsmans, surprised hardly anyone one here runs them! Lots of people missing out on some easy performance gains!!!
Do you know him Adam Schumaker at
[email protected] he sold me clutch kit , for my XP 900 ranger 2013 , it work well first year , I run them with tracks OK to , now I need replacement pièces , No news from him he didn`t answers , QSC put aluminium bushings beside the arm , were used 1/2 , it my 3 set of pins I haved to changed , because the loose arm , the springs where tired (cheap ) first summer in pit sand stock , I can go to the 3/4 with QSC clutch kit I can go to the top , no lost rpm , last year , try again wop! can`t go higher than 3/4 the motor failed down , WOUUUUU , let me know were i can find ADAM

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do you know him Adam Schumaker at
[email protected] he sold me clutch kit , for my XP 900 ranger 2013 , it work well first year , I run them with tracks OK to , now I need replacement pièces , No news from him he didn`t answers , QSC put aluminium bushings beside the arm , were used 1/2 , it my 3 set of pins I haved to changed , because the loose arm , the springs where tired (cheap ) first summer in pit sand stock , I can go to the 3/4 with QSC clutch kit I can go to the top , no lost rpm , last year , try again wop! can`t go higher than 3/4 the motor failed down , WOUUUUU , let me know were i can find ADAM
Man that was a hard post to understand.So with no other changes to the machine from 1 season to the next,Now it won't do what it previously did?I agree with you as far as emails go tho.Ive never had much luck with emailing Adam.

Charles

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yea man Adam was the main guy people went with on the 850's.Well him and dirty dawg.So I'm guessing the clutch kit install on these should be similar to the 850xp?Ive taken my clutch apart to clean it out real good and inspect the belt,So I already have the clutch puller.I guess depending on the tension of the spring that I may just run it to a buddy's shop so that I don't have to worry about something flying up and hitting me in the face lol.
The 850xp was a night and day difference with his kit so I'm sure it won't dissapoint me with the ranger.
So the $600 for clutch kit and primary was a discounted price,Or is that his regular pricing?
Thanks brother!

Charles

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
No clue what you said pierre.

I don't deal with Adam, don't even know him.

I've always dealt with Ryan @ RVS Performance. He is a vendor for QSC but more importantly is a clutching GURU, sets up a QSC kit based on your machine and how you ride. His customer service is hands down the best I've ever dealt with. ALWAYS can get ahold of Ryan. I've had PM conversations with him at 9pm at night before!

Around $600 is the regular going price for the clutch and kit but like I said if your primary clutch is in good shape I'd just get the $200 kit. I was given a kit for my Ranger to go some "testing" because we are trying to figure out a solution for the noisy secondary without people having to drop $1,000 + on a whole different setup. We are close to that goal. With the QSC sorting the acceleration gains and smooth engagement are just a bonus. Also QSC and Dirty Dawg are two VERY different setups. Going to suggest he (Ryan) becomes a vendor on this forum next time I talk to him if he is not already. I know enough about clutches to be dangerous but he is The MAN when it comes to that stuff.

Reactions: TG-OK

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea man Adam was the main guy people went with on the 850's.Well him and dirty dawg.So I'm guessing the clutch kit install on these should be similar to the 850xp?Ive taken my clutch apart to clean it out real good and inspect the belt,So I already have the clutch puller.I guess depending on the tension of the spring that I may just run it to a buddy's shop so that I don't have to worry about something flying up and hitting me in the face lol.
The 850xp was a night and day difference with his kit so I'm sure it won't dissapoint me with the ranger.
So the $600 for clutch kit and primary was a discounted price,Or is that his regular pricing?
Thanks brother!

Charles
I used my homemade clutch compressor on the secondary (Threaded Rod with nuts/washers. Primary was by hand and even easier putting in the QSC one. The spring isn't as stiff in the primary which is what lowers engagement RPM's which in turn is why when you barely touch the gas pedal post kit you start moving. Also comes with a set of shims to raise the engagement RPM if you wish. About $600 is the regular price for everything but like I said if you primary is fine I'd save the money and just get the $200 clutch kit.

Also your 850 clutches run counter clockwise so its a slightly different setup but installation will be basically the same.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Sorry, pour mon anglais, avez-vous une adresse pour moi ? Le site Internet QSC est en construction, merci
HAHAHA!!!!!!
Sorry , for my English , did you have adress for me ? internet site QSC will be in refresh , thank you .

·
Registered
95 Posts
Fuse,
Nice review/write-up..................I have one question, did you have another Ranger (stock) to test against side by side during your runs for comparison ? We have done a fair amount of clutching Polaris sleds up here & sometimes the "seat of your pants" feeling that you made gains were not actually true...............we always liked to have two sleds or timers to be sure of the gains................just curious as I am interested .................thanks.............

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good question prose.

No other 900 machine to test against, but I DID race my own 500 HO and post clutch kit it was farther ahead of the 500 than pre clutch kit. I would say the pre/post difference was consistently about 1.5 quad lengths to 50 mph. That's pretty significant. Will have couple other 900's this summer to put it against...That's a long ways out though. What I can also say is that it will spin the rear tires from a stand still on drive pavement, and with the stock setup it wouldn't do that! Not to the extent an RZR will roast the tires will but it will make them bark!

I would like to say that keep in mind I'm after smoother engagement AND mainly trying to get rid of the whistling noise in the secondary without spending a bunch of money. These performance gains are just a bonus. :eek:nthego:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry, pour mon anglais, avez-vous une adresse pour moi ? Le site Internet QSC est en construction, merci
HAHAHA!!!!!!
Sorry , for my English , did you have adress for me ? internet site QSC will be in refresh , thank you .
No problem pierre, see if Ryan can help you out Rvs Performance - Atv Motorcycle And Snowmobile Service, Accessories / Performance Parts, Engine Repair

Just tell how your machine is set up and what you want to do with it and he can take it from there. Let him know about Adam not getting back to you too and that you already have a QSC kit.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts