PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

Question on towing 2015 Ranger Crew 900

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  TG-OK 
Ditto on what Expat said about towing backward. I tried towing backward and during the 75mph test tow, no problems with the front windshield. Later during a 65 mph trip, the windshield had popped loose at the center bottom attachment posts. Lesson learned.

I have read many posts here on tie-down preferences and there are obviously varying opinions, many echoing the risk of tie downs coming loose on a large bump in the road when compressing the suspension downward with ratchet straps. Almost all who chose another option rather than tire tie downs suggest secured horizontal tie downs to accommodate the normal suspension flex when towing.

For now, I don't tow often or long distances, but for those times, I am trying out the LA Guard Dog (trailer version) hitch attachment, and added a front hitch receiver to get away from towing backward. Some states require four points of attachment, and while not disputing themanufactor's claims; I am in the process of adding at least two safety chains on the back end for a three point tie down system. My normal "home to farm, and back" trips often involve unpaved and sometimes muddy roads and I wanted something other than muddy and gritty ratchet straps. Sorry I don't have it completed yet to furnish a photo, but the search feature can provide several earlier threads and schools of thought on tie down and towing options.

Also, although I thought it would be a big factor, the rear engine weight being on the front -or- the rear of the trailer had no detectable difference in towing experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.