PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a 2018 570 Full-Size. The rack and pinion is totally shot and needs to be replaced. Unit has about 3,000 hrs/ 6,000 miles on it. I really don't want to replace it with OEM because we are going back with larger tires/rims so it will put even more stress on the steering. Been doing some searching here and a few have used the RackBoss for a 2014 on their 570 mid-size. They got it to work by cutting and welding to extend the steering shaft (I think). The 2014 570 Mid-size unit is the closest I can find.
I am OK with some cutting and welding, but I am concerned that the input shaft on this 2018 570 full-size rack and pinion unit might be different than on a 2014 570 mid-size. I am thinking that they all use the same center portion of the rack and pinion unit., its just the lengths of the tie rod that change and maybe different tie rod ends.

Does anyone know if there is a size difference of the input shaft between a 2018 570 Full size and the 2014 570 Mid-size?

Thanks

Line Font Auto part Parallel Automotive design

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
After looking at my 2013 500 Mid-Size, I thinking the input shafts are the same. The difference would be the center/center distance between the tie rod ends. On the 2018 570 F/S, it measures right at 40in. On the 2013 500 M/S, it is close to 36.5in.

I need to rebuild the rack and pinion on this 2018 570 F/S. Need bearing (6004), a 26x19x4 Shaft seal and the tie rods. The inner joint on the tie rods are pretty loose and I can't find a source for the tie rods. Polaris didn't do anybody any favors by making this a "Disposable" unit.

I looked on SuperATV and they dont have a unit for the 2018 570 F/S Ranger that I can find.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,967 Posts
After looking at a 2013 570 MidSize, I thinking the input shafts are the same. The difference would be the center/center distance between the tie rod ends. On the 2018 570 F/S, it measures right at 40in. On the 2013 570 M/S, it is close to 36.5in.

I need to rebuild the rack and pinion on this 2018 570 F/S. Need bearing (6004), a 26x19x4 Shaft seal and the tie rods. The inner joint on the tie rods are pretty loose and I can't find a source for the tie rods. Polaris didnt do anybody any favors by making this a "Disposable" unit.

I looked on SuperATV and they dont have a unit for the 2018 570 F/S Ranger that I can find.
If you have the time it would be interesting to see photos of your rebuild sequence. My hobby is machining and I have a small machine shop in my home which I use to build and repair various items. I've read several times that the OEM steering is not repairable and have always questioned it, however I've never seen one apart to learn what parts were aout and whether new parts replacement could be made in the shop.

Assuming the rack and pinion are not worn out it seems that bearings and bushings could be made to affect a good repair.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are a few pictures of the steering assembly (#1824488) broken apart. The unit is sold complete. There is no serviceable parts available from Polaris. The ball bearing on the input shaft is a 6004 (Ø42 x Ø20 x 12). The input seal is Ø26OD x Ø19ID x 4 wd. Since I could not find any tie rods, I went back with the complete unit from Polaris. There is quite a bit of wear on the inner tie rod ends. At $436+tax it is like robbery, but I had to do it to get this one going. The RH boot failed on this one. It torn right around the tie rod so it was difficult to see. This let water get in and do its work.

When I get some time, I will separate the inner tie rods and see if I can get some thread dimensions. Maybe then they can be crossed over.

I could not get the plate off from the backside (third image below) It is threaded, but the hex is cheap made and it just stripped off.

You should be able to click on the images below for a larger picture.

Automotive tire Wood Road surface Plumbing fixture Gas
Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Plumbing Gas
Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part
Wood Font Gas Fastener Auto part

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,967 Posts
Thanks for those photos. It looks like an enterprising person could actually rebuild that unit. Parts like the bearing would have to be obtained from a bearing supplier and the bushing for the bottom end of the pinion could either be made in a machine shop, or if lucky, is a standard size bushing. The pinion looks pretty good still so if the rack in also in good shape it's do-able. I watched a couple of videos of people making repairs and installing grease fittings and the outcome was positive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts