PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with the pass side rack&pinion steering bushing coming out. I have ,Twice. first time my dealer got it replaced with warranty. The other day it happened again. This time I made a new bushing out of teflon bar stock. then drilled the bushing and rack tube so I could wire the bushing in like a aircraft fastener. Let me know if this happens to you , I will make more.

·
Administrator
6,961 Posts
I am curious how the bushing came out? On the passenger side rack tube it should be crimped in three places, not allowing the bushing to come out.(any pics).
IMO the Teflon bar stock is not a good material choice, it has high wear characteristics and will not provide adequate support for the rack. The bushing supports, and is the only contact point with the rack in the housing.
I have a rack that has been disassembled, I have not checked the hardness of the bushing yet. IMO you need a hardened bushing, because it has to support the rack and be wear resistant.

Polaris has the nylon tensioner inside the rack, but it is not having to support anything.

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
The bushing on my Ranger was soft plastic and came apart quickly. I replaced it with a hard plastic bushing.

·
Administrator
6,961 Posts
carnivore said:
The bushing on my Ranger was soft plastic and came apart quickly. I replaced it with a hard plastic bushing.
Then I may be mistaken, will look at it again.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The teflon stock I have is from a material company I do flow work for and it is used in some very high pressure material slides. It will hold up to the steering pressure very well. I use it to make washers for Harley foot-peg applications. And yes the factory bushing does have nipples that fit into cuts of the rack tube but after time the bushing goes soft I guess and pulls out from pressure of the steering rod. I wish I had taken pictures
while I had it apart.

·
Administrator
6,961 Posts
Well guys unless we are not talking about the same piece or they made a change. The bushing in my rack is hardened steel, a file will not touch it.

I have seen some bronze bushings available, but you will still have an accelerated wear issue, how much, not sure. The suspension movement is putting pressure on this (one) bushing, that is supporting the rack. Looks like they should have machined the aluminum housing on the drivers side and also put a bushing there. This would make the steering have a firmer feel and give the rack better linear stability inside the housing.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure what year you have there. The one on my late 2010 is soft plastic. the housing tube looks the same .

·
Administrator
6,961 Posts
The one in question is from an early 2009. Decided to look at the Polaris parts fiche. Same part# for the 09-10, 2011 however lists 5 different #'s for the steering rack, 2012 has 1 part#.

Learn something new everyday about how Polaris changes something in there design at any moment.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have my dealer looking at what they did for the 2012 900 RZR. If it is a beefier rack&pinion then I will try to make that work on mine , If not I am going to use a Rack from an auto application. I have seen a few that I could make fit.

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
gam6785 said:
The one in question is from an early 2009. Decided to look at the Polaris parts fiche. Same part# for the 09-10, 2011 however lists 5 different #'s for the steering rack, 2012 has 1 part#.

Learn something new everyday about how Polaris changes something in there design at any moment.
My 09 was one of the very first ones off the line, and it had the plastic bushing. Strange.

Metalman, Unisteer has an upgraded steering box also.

·
Administrator
6,961 Posts
metalman1957 said:
I have my dealer looking at what they did for the 2012 900 RZR. If it is a beefier rack&pinion then I will try to make that work on mine , If not I am going to use a Rack from an auto application. I have seen a few that I could make fit.
If you plan on doing some fabricating to make a rack & pinion fit, if you haven't already, look at the GEARONE unit, pricey, but looks well made. They only make them for the RZR at this time.

As Curt mentioned unisteer has the Rackzilla, have not seen any reviews about it on this forum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
metalman1957 that is what mine looks like as well. I was replacing the rack boot on the passenger side and found that the bushing was in 3 pieces. I am going to need a beefier replacement, any itdeas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did anyone ever find a part number for that bushing that goes in the end of the steering rack? Mine is also a plastic bushing that takes up the slack of the flat gear inside the rack. My steering was binding when I would turn about halfway left and I would lose power steering so I pulled back the boot and found the plastic ring was destroyed and catching on the rack.. everything else on the rack seems to be fine just would like a way of centering that flat shaft with a new bushing but can't find information on one anywhere... Anyone have any ideas?2015 rzr 900s eps
Azure Snow Electric blue Freezing Close-up

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did anyone ever find a part number for that bushing that goes in the end of the steering rack? Mine is also a plastic bushing that takes up the slack of the flat gear inside the rack. My steering was binding when I would turn about halfway left and I would lose power steering so I pulled back the boot and found the plastic ring was destroyed and catching on the rack.. everything else on the rack seems to be fine just would like a way of centering that flat shaft with a new bushing but can't find information on one anywhere... Anyone have any ideas?2015 rzr 900s eps View attachment 138390

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Rim Auto part Metal

1 - 16 of 16 Posts