1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not going to say you will get caught, but FRS and GRMS are not legal on those radios. I have a set and use them for MURS and 2 watts. GMRS is nice but you need a 5 year/$65 license to operate and the correct radio.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
get your ham license. the 30 multiple question is easy and no morce code required. maybe you already have it??
jim
kf7rin

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wouldn't mind ham, but GMRS is just easy and cheap, allows repeaters and high wattage. More than enough for the guys on here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too use a set of Baofeng UV-5R -the CHIRP software and programming cable makes programming the radios a breeze, though I recommend also learning how to program the radios "in the field." If you don't already know, you should check out Miklor.com for lots of good info!

·
Registered
146 Posts
few of my licensed ham buddies have baofang. not sure witch model.
a ham gets out when cell are dead. I never have had a cell phone so maybe that is why I like them.
jim

·
Registered
146 Posts
yes kind of amazing. wife has all tv and phone thru dish. and was asked to put a tower on my place too. said no.
I can go thru a phone patch and call your cell phone with my handheld or that baofeng should do it. it is much slower and a pain. not as private like a phone.hard to call me unless my handheld is on like a cell phone. larger and needs the antenna out. so cell could be better if you like the cost. $10 bucks to take a ham test and you get 3 tries.
some even use them with a tower that has the internet hookup and talk worldwide.

ones,kevin should program in a couple local repeaters and listen . for a homestead with no cell that would be the way to go. on a real emergency I don't think you would have any problems without a licence.
jim

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'd like to do this also. Just curious as to which frequencies work best on the Baofengs? FRS, GMRS OR MURS? For distance and in the trees etc? Also where do you find the frequencies for inputs. I actually have a Baofeng that I use at the Fire Dept that one of our Captains sets up and sells us with all our Fire frequencies already already programmed in. Today I actually downloaded chirp and since he gave me a cable with my radio I downloaded the frequencies to the chirp software. Just not sure how to program in the FRS, GMRS AND MURS frequencies. Also what other frequencies would work good. One of the things I hated about the FRS channels I've used on my little cobras is it seems like there is someone on every frequency. Seems like you can never find a channel that's not being used. Will it be the same for these programmed into the Baofeng? Is there a frequency that you can use that will truely be private? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Short answer, no, no complete privacy. But you can add privacy tones to block unwanted traffic. You can find all the gmrs and frs Freq's online. The 400k freqs work better in urban environments because they are shorter and can "bend" around buildings as well as reflect. The 200k freqs being longer may add some distance in open terrain. Pay the $65 for gmrs license, super cheap insurance and it covers your "family" usuage. I'm a ham as well and it's good to have your license but doesn't help if the people you're talking to don't. I've got over half a dozen baofengs now. Picked up two cheap 50W mobiles for the ranch too. Super easy install on my Ranger. My preference currently is the uv-5RTP. Tri power bumps it up to 8W which really makes a difference. Yes, they are less than legal but any gmrs communications on a HT (handheld) must be on a radio with an attached antenna, not removable and only at .5W. Or something like that. If you pay for the gmrs license you're close enough, or at least you're trying. My 2€

·
Registered
46 Posts
What's the use case? If you're looking for something to cover the farm, a GMRS or ham-frequency HT (with or without a repeater) may be the way to go. But if you're looking for private conversations with your buddies while on the trail, check out the offerings from SENA. They have dozens of form factor devices, ranging from small handheld units to headsets and helmet mounted options. The drawback is the Bluetooth technology is limited range, but I use the helmet mounted units on my motorcycle and they're good for up to about a mile on an open road. In the woods, I would think it would be more like 1/4 to 1/2 mile, but if you're just looking to talk to the guy in the next rig, it should work. If you can, the BT 4.1 units have slightly better range.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a pair of Garmin Rhino radios from several years ago. When I bought them they were crazy money but coupling GPS and mapping with long range 2-way communication was pretty powerful. My wife and I had Polaris Sportsman 700s (2003 and 2005 models) and rode in crazy dusty conditions in the summer. So I would ride way ahead. Occasionally she'd lose my track. But with the Rhinos id just look up where she was and ride to her. Or vice versa. Anyways, dumb story, but I'd love a modern version of this (that does not rely on cellular technology).
You can actually do that with ham radio too. Its called APRS

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yep. For awhile, I actually had an APRS setup on my motorcycle using a Kenwood TH-D72 HT and a Garmin Montana. Any APRS stations that the HT picked up would show up as way points on the GPS, and I give my call sign to people and they could track my location via a website. But I wasn't using it much other than for the novelty of it and it was taking up handlebar space, so I took the radio off.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I know very little about this topic, but aren't numerically lower freqs 'longer' and more penetrating? And numerically higher freqs shorter and have a greater need for line-of-sight? I am borrowing video transmission knowledge from drones, so it might not be usable for audio. Just curious.
Yes. That is correct.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts