PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post because I don't have a Ranger yet. I'm shopping everything from Vikings, Defenders and Rangers (both 570 full size and 1000). I have tight trails, so turn radius is really important. I have a RZR 570 eps which does great on my trails, but I need a utility utv that will do well on those same trails and also be fun to ride, of course at lower speeds than the RZR. I had a Sportsman 570 touring with the same front struts as the 570 full size ranger. It handled great. I've been told that the struts make the turn radius wider. Of course, with my ATV, that wasn't a problem. But with a side x side at 60 inches wide, that makes a difference. Is the 570 full size fun on trails and does anybody actually know the turn radius of it. Also wondering the turn radius of the new 1000 (not the xp). Planning to go with a Can Am Defender unless I can find these numbers. I love Polaris, but the fact that they don't show these numbers anywhere online (and Can Am as well as Yamaha do) makes me think they must not be very competitive. I personally love the 570 engine and think it's a massive overachiever. just don't want to buy the wrong unit. Thanks in advance, Matt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both of the Rangers you are looking at have a tight turn radius.
Why don't you go drive them and see for yourself?
Would love to do that. The nearest Polaris dealerships have nowhere to test drive other than pavement. They don't sell the competitive vehicles for a comparison. I don't do any of my driving on pavement, so this really does me no good. Just need an apples to apples comparison.
Both of the Rangers you are looking at have a tight turn radius.
Why don't you go drive them and see for yourself?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, and thanks. May I ask where you found this info? I feel like I've looked everywhere on line, but actual owners doing the measurements themselves is even better.

·
Registered
35 Posts
sounds like maybe you should consider the midsize Ranger. Power steering would be beneficial as well. Or like mentioned above , test drive them all . Your spending a good chunk of change

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you don’t need 3 seats, definitely consider the midsize 570. A few years ago when I was shopping someone said I didn’t need power steering on a midsize and so far it’s been fine without it for me. I’ve had mine almost 3 years and that includes snow plowing. If you are going with larger tires, power steering may be more important.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you don’t need 3 seats, definitely consider the midsize 570.
I totally agree, but three seats is a must. The midsize would be perfect for our trails, but I need kind of a "do-all" unit which obviously requires quite a few compromises. Pulling a small rough-cut mower, hauling wood, snow plowing, and slow yet capable trail riding. And don't have a rich uncle :).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Fwiw, I added a third set of seat belts in my midsize which works fine for the grandkids. The fullsize seat is just a few inches wider.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a smart idea. Unfortunately, one of the main things I want it for is to ride the acreage with both of my parents on board. They enjoy the trails as passengers in the RZR, but obviously I can't carry them both. We checked out both the midsize and full size next to each other, and even stuck three people in each. You're right that there is only a couple inches difference in the seat, but it was a huge difference in comfort with three adults. It's actually still a bit cramped in the full size, but doable for just cruising in the woods. Really appreciate your suggestion, though.

·
Registered
285 Posts
One more thought if the length isn’t an issue, you could go midsize crew.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For sure a good thought, but trails are really tight and winding. The long wheelbase machines just wouldn't work for us.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
So how does 161" compare to the competition? Also keep in mind the unlocked rear diff will make tight turns better than the locked in the rzr or quad. Way less scrub.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It actually compares pretty well. Most of the manufacturer list the turn radius in feet. 161" is just over 13.4'. The Yamaha Viking is 14.75'. The Can Am defenders without the unlocking rear diff are 14.5, but the ones with the unlocking diff are 13.1'. I believe the Honda Pioneer 700-4 deluxe (which is the power steering model) is 14.4' or 14.5'. And I think the Honda Pioneer 1000 is 13.8'. So if the full size 570 is at 161", that's pretty impressive and what I was hoping to hear. Those numbers are all off the top of my head based on the youtube videos and internet scanning I've done. But they are pretty close.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts