PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new the the forum and sxs. I’m looking at buying a ranger. With my research I’m confused and just wondering. Whats the difference between ranger 1000xp and rzr 1000xp? 82hp for the ranger vs 110hp for rzr. They are both naturally aspirated. Where is the hp difference coming from? Tuning? Even from what I can see for a custom ecu for the ranger, It only bumps it up to just over 100hp

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Answered you on the other forum.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Tuning most likely. I think the rzr runs duel throttle bodies and different cams. Someone will let you know for sure.

They're not lacking in power. My 18 with tune and my own clutching running on 27" street tires. Im on portals now with 30's and will still run 70.

Reactions: Cold Iron

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The Sportsman motor is a SOHC that is totally different and only used in the Sportsman.
This is the parts fiche link if you want to look up the differences.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tuning most likely. I think the rzr runs duel throttle bodies and different cams. Someone will let you know for sure.

They're not lacking in power. My 18 with tune and my own clutching running on 27" street tires. Im on portals now with 30's and will still run 70.
That is just crazy! But well done!!

When I hit 60 in SE Mn. on the pavement I can't help think how many times I would roll if a deer jumps out in front of me. In the tip of the Mn. Arrowhead there is only one paved road and while the speed limit is 45 for Class 2 I MAY have done 60 mph and a bit more. And wonder if a moose walks out in front of me how badly I would loose that battle. I don't really turn the wheel at those speeds, just think about it and it makes the turns.

My first SxS off road vehicle anyways and love it. Room in the bed. Heat. AC. And it goes anywhere. And never complains.

Took the buggy up to Terry and originally only wanted the low RPM tune. When I was there his wife answered a call from someone in SD that was in limp mode. Caught my attention and the ECU tune bypasses all that crap even though I normally run in Work Mode. Unless I hit pavement. Reliability is increased with the tune. And when you put it in performance mode the front end wants to jump and play. Even without it handled every trail I ever wanted to go down.

Even in Work Mode without the tune I have gone up verticals that have signs for snowmobiles that say steep. And worried about rolling back but it is a damn goat and keeps on going. Went more than 2.5 miles down a trail that the maps on the GPS said were County and may or not have been... I would not do Cross Country in a National Forrest that would be illegal. But followed a Moose trail that seemed to confirm the path the Moose were taking and was County land.

No one had been down it for a couple of years went up and over downed trees and had my friend get out and spot me several times. Was rewarded at the end when I hit a ~14 year old Aspen cut that no one had hunted yet.

The dog was happy.

Got to admit although I am an old guy once in a while it is nice to punch it on trails and feel like a kid again. And do it a lot including getting airborne.

You want to get slammed with cold, tag alders in the face, break and fix get a RZR. Want to ride any trail that exist and take a chain saw with you to open trails that mother nature has taken over get a Ranger. It doesn't know the difference and in the wood thinks it is a RZR on the trails.

If you are in the wide open desert of the SW and pedal to the metal all the time may be different. But I have no plans to go back there. Well not true when it starts to get cold I sometimes think about it when it gets below zero and start shoveling and blowing snow.

The 1000XP Ranger will handle anything your will ever want to tackle. And not complain in fact it gives such a plush ride it makes me smile.

Dropped a Holly 650 on a 4 bolt main Chevy in my late 70's Iron Pig FJ55 with a Man A Fre conversion kit in the early 80's. Everyone else was doing high RPM conversions back then and more than a few dual smaller carbs. For speed and HP. Mine was well below most of them with a dyno at low RPM. But I pulled a lot of Jeeps and others that went that route out of the woods. Steady as she goes...

Don't worry about listed HP. Worry about your needs. For me the Ranger NorthStar far exceeds anything I need and makes the dogs happy. And me. Exceeds both by far. Very pleased.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts