PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

141 - 160 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have 2011 Ranger 400 HO that will not start. Went out to take it for weekly run and battery was not good. Went and bought new battery. Put new battery in and turned the ignition on to start the Ranger and "NOTHING." New battery was fine voltage wise. Checked manual for Troubleshooting for "Engine Doesn't turn over" 1. Low battery voltage - Nope, 2. Loose battery connections-nope," 3. Loose solenoid connections-nope, 4. Loose Electronic Control Box Connection-?. Where is it. Nowhere in Ranger manual. Anyone got an idea where the Electronic Control Box is? Never had problem one with Ranger until this problem. And ideas comments welcomed. Thanks

·
Registered
974 Posts
Have 2011 Ranger 400 HO that will not start. Went out to take it for weekly run and battery was not good. Went and bought new battery. Put new battery in and turned the ignition on to start the Ranger and "NOTHING." New battery was fine voltage wise. Checked manual for Troubleshooting for "Engine Doesn't turn over" 1. Low battery voltage - Nope, 2. Loose battery connections-nope," 3. Loose solenoid connections-nope, 4. Loose Electronic Control Box Connection-?. Where is it. Nowhere in Ranger manual. Anyone got an idea where the Electronic Control Box is? Never had problem one with Ranger until this problem. And ideas comments welcomed. Thanks
When you checked the cables, did you examine both engines (battery and the two other points of contacts, ground to frame and where the positive attaches)? Reason for asking, I once had a loose ground on the frame which gave me a fit. The ECM will look something like the picture shown 2014 Polaris Ranger Crew 800 Computer CDI ECU ECM 4014160 | eBay and can be located near the battery or under the hood, not sure about your specific model. How about looking at the fuses?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm sure this is listed somewhere else, but I can't find it.

For those of you with an hour meter only, like my 2011 400, what did you do for a speedometer. I have 200 hours on it, which is fine that we know how many hours we've been out, but would like to know how fast and how many miles we've gone. And we're you able to install it yourself?

Also what have you done for doors. I always put the 400 away for winter, but if I had doors we may keep it out and ride. I see Polaris has a set of polymer doors on sale for $500.00.

Some have said trade up, but our 400 is/has been awesome for our needs. for what we would get on trade, I have no reason to spend another 7 grand.

Thank you.

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Bizdoc, I have a 2013 400. I installed a Trail Tech Vapor unit about 3 years ago. Still working fine. Unit comes as a kit and has tach, odometer, coolant temperature, trip meter, and of course speedo. Part #[FONT=&quot]75-4011 or #[/FONT][FONT=&quot]752-4011 depending on color. Took me about 2 hours to install.
Best to look at the Trail Tech website to see if they still make or have updated model available.
[/FONT]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I called and the fellow from trail tech said the 4011 wouldn't work, that I had to get the 2019, same unit, same price, with same functions, he said it connects to front wheel differently. Hmmmm, I'm skeptical since yours worked, nuggethunter. We'll see when I try connecting it. He seemed a bit perplexed, that concerns me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's weird. I remember calling to get the info when I ordered mine and they gave me the model. I ordered and installed. Worked perfectly. I don't think there is much difference between the 2011 & 2013.

·
Registered
166 Posts
got a 2010 400 that needs an engine... where is a reasonable place to buy a new one or good used one???

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
sweet ill call them Monday too... im good with gambling and handy with a wrench... any videos on removing the engine in this dude that I can peek at to get an idea???

·
Registered
166 Posts
it got really really hot and somebody put a head gasket on it and it didn't hold up for a day so this guy wants to sell it for $2000... so im doing some research and digging to see what it will take to get it going again...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had the ranger 400 since 2012, bought it new, & finally broke down & threw some change at it. Raceline wheels, 2.5" MMA lift, 1" HL wheel spacers, Tusk power steering kit, pro armor steering wheel kit, side mount tool box, (strap, shackles, 12 v tire inflator, tire plug kit inside, & cricket box inside), radio & speakers, ram x mount phone holder, overhead storage, & a gun mount, (which isnt on in the pics), and seat covers. Any questions, feel free to ask as I put it all on myself, aside from mounting the tires on the wheels.

Also, if anyone has any leads on good headlights or headlight replacements, i'd surely appreciate it.
ranger back.png

ranger side.png

ranger wheel.png

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
it got really really hot and somebody put a head gasket on it and it didn't hold up for a day so this guy wants to sell it for $2000... so im doing some research and digging to see what it will take to get it going again...
You will probably be ok with a new piston and rings. Get the cyl honed and head shaved. Did battle with mine and decided to get it shaved after the second head gasket didn't work and constant overheating. But hey, I had the cyl honed the first time. Live and learn. Bottom end is bullet proof, considering I ran mine without oil. 2 buck hose to the reservoir got pulled off on a trail. Scarred up the piston and pinched the top ring. I'm not complaining though. Might want to get an oil pressure gauge. If I ever need a motor I will use nflow for sure. My 2c...

141 - 160 of 181 Posts