PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did some reading on what others have done on this forum and decided to go with the small LED route. This is mainly for plowing snow at night so it should be plenty of light. The LEDs were about a dollar each off of amazon. They are two micro LEDs with a lenses.

Drilled a couple holes in the back, built a wiring harness and connected it to the red/purple wires stubbed out behind the driver seat.

IMG_20141022_192647801.jpg
IMG_20141022_192343021.jpg
IMG_20141022_195719862.jpg
IMG_20141022_195852988.jpg
IMG_20141022_200253218.jpg

·
Registered
204 Posts
Those are sweet. Nice work.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Great timing on your post. I'm contemplating the same idea, and not sure how you tied in to the factory wiring stubbed out under the bed. Can you give a bit more detail on the wire harness you made? Wire size, connector type, and did you use a relay and fuse link?

·
Registered
762 Posts
I know there are other threads of this type, and one goes way back, with a lot of detail about a variety of machines, but yours looks awesome, and relevant to what I hope to accomplish soon, before it snows.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Great timing on your post. I'm contemplating the same idea, and not sure how you tied in to the factory wiring stubbed out under the bed. Can you give a bit more detail on the wire harness you made? Wire size, connector type, and did you use a relay and fuse link?
There are two wires behind the drivers seat that have female terminals covered with heat shrink tubing. I do not like the terminals because I find they can corrode over time. Instead of using male terminals in my harness i cut the females off and soldered the harness to it. I then used heat shrink tubing to seal it off.

As for the harness, I used 16 gauge wire. I did not use a inline fuse though I compenplated it and probably should do it as it won't take much to add. No relay either, the little LEDs barley draw any current.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, there are numerous threads out there . I'd definitely try to read them to make sure you are doing the right approach for your application.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nice job!
Looks great!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just picked up a set of those lights from Amazon. Tested one. They are nice and bright. Will attempt to locate a wire on my 2015 570 crew that will switch a relay when in reverse and install for backup lights. If not , I'll just put in a switch. For the price, you can't beat them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Worked great. I'll post some pictures. I put one under the tail light on each side and put also put one on the sides at the back corner of the bed. Gives great parameter lighting.

Couldn't locate any wiring that would signal when in reverse so I just added and put it on a switch.

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Good idea putting one on the sides also! Great work!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Took it out Saturday night. They worked great. Not too bright to mess with your vision but perfect for about 10' visibility around the rig when driving on the tight trails and backing up.

I'm going to add them to the front just behind the fender so I have fell perimeter visibility when maneuvering in those tight spots I find myself in sometimes at night.

All in all very surprised how well they worked out.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Excellent job guys!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts