PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All!
I recently rebuilt the transmission on my 700 when it wouldn't move and was making popping sound in reverse. By rebuild, I mean 2 chains, pinion gear and seals. Many, many thanks to Commanderjjones for the youtube videos! There was little to zero metal shavings in the oil and the only wear I could find was on the drain plug. All gears looked perfect to my untrained eye.
After rebuild it is still popping and not moving in reverse about 2/3 of the time. When I disassemble the shift assembly and manually put in reverse it seems to be fine. As soon as I reattach the shift assembly it starts popping.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any advise? I'm thinking I will disassemble tomorrow and post pictures of the shift dogs

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
"When I disassemble the shift assembly and manually put in reverse it seems to be fine. As soon as I reattach the shift assembly it starts popping. "

dc
, of course the first thought is that you need to adjust the shifter cable so it goes deeper ..and.....pretty hard to kill a reverse dog...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"When I disassemble the shift assembly and manually put in reverse it seems to be fine. As soon as I reattach the shift assembly it starts popping. "

dc
, of course the first thought is that you need to adjust the shifter cable so it goes deeper ..and.....pretty hard to kill a reverse dog...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jungleman thank you for the reply! Good to hear that reverse shift dogs are typically not the problem- all the dogs looked good to me the first time I had it apart
It is acting up even without the shift cable attached- is it possible that I got the shift dogs somehow misaligned in the assembly?
When I remove all the shift assembly components it seems to be fine but as soon as I reassemble and manually shift into a different gear and back to reverse it won’t move in reverse. If there is any other relevant info that would help with a diagnosis please let me know and I’ll post ASAP

·
Registered
2 Posts
jungleman thank you for the reply! Good to hear that reverse shift dogs are typically not the problem- all the dogs looked good to me the first time I had it apart
It is acting up even without the shift cable attached- is it possible that I got the shift dogs somehow misaligned in the assembly?
When I remove all the shift assembly components it seems to be fine but as soon as I reassemble and manually shift into a different gear and back to reverse it won’t move in reverse. If there is any other relevant info that would help with a diagnosis please let me know and I’ll post ASAP
I'm having what sounds to be the exact same issue on Bobcat 3400XL (same as 570 XP)... Did you get it figured out? i"m on my 2nd disassembly trying to figure it out... :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After pulling the transmission for the third time...
Replaced the wave washers and the reverse gear as well as swapped the unused dog for the reverse dog. Comparing the new gear (which is beveled) to the old one it was hard to tell the difference but so far it’s working.
With the lower end of the transmission out and using a drill to spin it, I could duplicate the popping sound and visually see it happen.
I was highly tempted to put a thrust washer on the inside of the reverse gear to take up some of the slack but didn’t have one thin enough and decided to try it with just the new parts.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I'm having what sounds to be the exact same issue on Bobcat 3400XL (same as 570 XP)... Did you get it figured out? i"m on my 2nd disassembly trying to figure it out... :(
TOTALLY different animal the 700 transmission then your 570 transaxle.. Totally..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts