PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'12 Polaris Ranger 800HD
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Ranger 800HD. Last year I bought a Swisher 44" tow behind rough cut mower. I used it to cut the weeds, brush, etc. in a small field at my place in West Virginia. Worked great by the way. But loading it back into my cargo trailer by hand was extremely difficult. So this year I looked into buying a front receiver for the Buggy. I have the Polaris 4500lb. integrated winch mounted on the Buggy. So I had to go for a lower receiver. After some research I bought the KFI 2" lower plow mount with 2" receiver, #105255. The install instructions give the basic install for the receiver plate. But it doesn't account for any variables, such has having a winch in place. In my case, I had to remove the two lower mounting bolts for the winch because I would need those holes to install the two upper bolts of the KFI receiver. I also had to remove the three lower bolts that mount the front bash plate on the Ranger. That would seem to apply to any Ranger 800. Once that was done, installing the receiver was easy. Instructions say place the receiver up to the bash plate and install the two upper bolts. KFI provides a bolt plate for the lower three mounting bolts. It gets placed inside the frame just ahead of the front differential. There are three access holes in the frame that the KFI mounting bolts will go thru, and into bolt plate. They are underneath and are accessed from the bottom. I had to loosely install all the bolts, then slowly tighten all the bolts. Done! By the way, my sister did most of the install. I wasn't able to do it by myself because of my back issues. I'm posting some pics of the install. I know there have been posts asking about front receivers for the Ranger 800. Hope this helps.
Pic of the front of the Buggy showing where the winch is mounted and the lower bash plate bolts

Close up showing the bolts that had to be removed

New receiver installed

Close up

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,649 Posts
You're going to like using the front receiver to move the mower and any trailers you have to move. I use mine to move trailers and other outdoor equipment. It's so much easier to move things looking where you're going plus it's more maneuverable.

The setup on my 2015 570 XP is very similar. I also use that lower mount to attach my KFI Snow Plow. It works great!

Reactions: BillyHD

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
What would be cool is if you could mount the mower on the front .
We have a Buffalo Turbine blower on wheels that we use to blow leaves during fall. I've tried using it mounted to the front hitch and it is difficult to keep it moving in a straight line for a long distance. I think the problem could be resolved it it had a longer tongue. The current tongue is about 5' long; about 10 to the axle. To be more stable I think it would need to have a tongue about 8 or 10' long but that would hurt maneuverability in tight places.

·
Registered
'12 Polaris Ranger 800HD
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've thought about being able to move my trailer around as needed. It's a 2013 tandem axle Homesteader Challenger. It's a 7'x'14 V-nose I had custom built to carry the Buggy. Empty she weighs 2,020lbs.. Not sure the Buggy can handle that.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I've used my 570 to move a trailer loaded at least 2k pounds, up a steep grade *(about 20%) several times when I moved to the mountains. I only had to move it about 50 - 60 feet but it did it with no problem in low range. I was also happy to have a Duraclutch so I wasn't slipping the belt and movement was gentle and smooth. My biggest concern at the time was that the loaded trailer weighed more than my ranger so it if got away from me controlling it or stopping might have been an issue. I was shocked at how easily the whole operation went.

With regard to max tow capacity, if you were going a long distance that might be important but for a short move to maneuver a trailer into a garage or a couple hundred feet I wouldn't worry about it.

BPS brings up an important point, backing a heavy trailer is more likely to cause damage to the Ranger than pushing from the front or pulling from the normal tow position due to the weak reverse chain in the transmission.

Reactions: BillyHD

·
Registered
'12 Polaris Ranger 800HD
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool thanks. I figured just to maneuver the trailer around a little in place, or to a different area, the Buggy would do fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts