PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Fire Department just got a Ranger 800. This is our first UTV type vehicle.

We started to use it, and stopped, as we saw it displaying 5000 RPM's at 20 MPH in High Gear (we mostly have hard flat surfaces). We have a 95 gallon water tank and pump in the rear, but no water in it (yet).

We pushed the speed a little more and when we hit about 5500 RPM's we stopped, and after we were going to damage the unit.

Just looking for some advice of what the "normal" rpm's are for speeds, not under much load (the pump and unit do have some weight to them). Is 5000 RPM's at 20 MPH normal? Does it ever "shift" down, like a car.

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Sure sounds like you were in LOW. Whatever gear you have the selector set to when you start off is the gear it's going to stay in - it does not automatically shift to the higher range at higher RPMs and not 'shift' down either - and you have to be stopped and at idle to change gears. Did you buy it new or used? What year model is it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked that. Stopped multiple times and shifted back and forth. Low gear appeared to be even worse.

·
Super Moderator
6,841 Posts
As fswan asked in his post, what year and model, new or used? This info can be put in your signature to help you get the best possible answers from other members.

I would like to know what your fire department has purchased, reason being I have some comments about the use of a 95gal spray rig in the bed of the ranger. What is the sprayers intended purpose. What type of terrain will you be on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ranger 800 6x6 2014 New. Use primarily to put out hard to reach brush fires. Has a 95 Gallon Water tank with a 5 Gallon Foam Cell, 75 foot 1" Hose on a Reel, along with a stokes basket and backboard to transport a victim, Terrain is mixed, from Golf Courses, to flat wooded areas to rolling wooded areas. Purchased from the Polaris Defense (government division).

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
When you say low is even worse, that's disturbing! Was leaning toward an improperly adjusted shift cable but now it's sounding like a clutch/belt problem! Sounds like a trip back to the dealer is in order. Has it ever worked correctly - how long have you had it (miles/hours)?

·
Super Moderator
6,841 Posts
Ranger 800 6x6 2014 New. Use primarily to put out hard to reach brush fires. Has a 95 Gallon Water tank with a 5 Gallon Foam Cell, 75 foot 1" Hose on a Reel, along with a stokes basket and backboard to transport a victim, Terrain is mixed, from Golf Courses, to flat wooded areas to rolling wooded areas. Purchased from the Polaris Defense (government division).
This unit was one that I was going to suggest, I had it in my mind you had purchased an 800 standard unit and installed the spray rig that you described. There would have been several issues with that setup.
But since you purchased the Polaris Defense unit, you are prepared.

As Forde has mentioned, I would take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Although that setup should be well within the Ranger's capacity, it's still pretty heavy and that can be hard on a belt.....especially for those not overly familiar with the PVT system. My first guess is that the belt is burnt. If not the belt, it's probably a clutch issue. Either way, I'd probably take it back to the dealer as recommended above.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Purchased from the Polaris Defense (government division).

Does anybody think these units were made by design to be geared lower due to the fact that they will most likely be hauling heavy loads at all times? just a thought since it is not a commercial available unit

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I don't know for certain, but can't imagine that they will limit high range down so far that 20 mph is going to be the top speed. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that a dealer would be able to answer that question with any certainty. I would call whoever it was purchased through and ask them some questions.

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
Keep in mind that a 6x6 is geared lower, and the rev limit is 6500 rpm. I'd run it up to the rev limiter to see how fast it goes. If it doesn't hit 40-45 mph there's a clutch/belt issue. 5,000 rpm at 20 is a bit high, but the clutch should adjust as the speed goes up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts