PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Ranger 800 4x4 H.O.
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving slow in turf mode I hear a clicking sound gets worse turning and turning in reverse it feels like something is binding. So I pulled tranny cracked the cases. Tore it down cleaned and inspected nothing is worn. Smh.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Would seem you have fewer things to check then. You had axles out. Did all CV joints feels free ? Raise rear off ground. Start it up and have in turf mode 2WD and stop one wheel at a time with a helper giving just enough throttle to make tires rotate. Does any sound change ?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
It might be a stretch, but drive train noise can travel through a drive train and sound like it's coming form an area that isn't really the cause of the noise. The driveshaft turns all the time while the front axles only engage when the rear wheels spin. Given that the driveshaft spins whenever the vehicel is moving, is it possible that you have a bad/dry U-joint which is making a clicking sound that seems to come from the transmission?

·
Registered
2013 Ranger 800 4x4 H.O.
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would seem you have fewer things to check then. You had axles out. Did all CV joints feels free ? Raise rear off ground. Start it up and have in turf mode 2WD and stop one wheel at a time with a helper giving just enough throttle to make tires rotate. Does any sound change ?
Originally I thought there was a little play in front right cv axle. So I replaced it. So then I pulled tranny. When I pulled rear axles I checked them out and they felt smooth. While tranny is out I checked the dive shaft going to front diff and it’s smooth with no play or noise.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Well, you either missed something or there is a problem not yet discussed. CV joints will make a clicking noise when they are worn. Bearings inside the transmission can also make a clicking noise prior to complete failure. If you're positive the CVs on the axles and the transmission parts are all good then perhaps it's a wheel bearing or brake problem.

Reactions: jungleman

·
Registered
2013 Ranger 800 4x4 H.O.
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, you either missed something or there is a problem not yet discussed. CV joints will make a clicking noise when they are worn. Bearings inside the transmission can also make a clicking noise prior to complete failure. If you're positive the CVs on the axles and the transmission parts are all good then perhaps it's a wheel bearing or brake problem.
I’m putting transmission back in today and I will recheck cv axles and wheel bearings! Thank you for your input

1 - 6 of 6 Posts