PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone build their own under seat storage for their Ranger 800? I have a '14 and it drives me nuts how much space Polaris wastes. I took some measurements today and made a "rough" box to see what I could end up with. I like the idea of more storage, especially when it's so low to ground and will keep the COG lower. It'd be a great place for my heavier items like extra coolant, oil, and spare parts, even a spare battery for when I travel solo. The plan would be to move the computer up about 3", then move the battery all the way forward about 3" to maximize room. I would cut out the side panel for easy installation/removal (for ease of changing a belt and cleaning), and either have a waterproof 12'x12' access door on the side, or an 8"x10" waterproof access door on the top.

My drawings with very rough dimensions. I wanted to build a cardboard mock up to visually see the added capacity. Side view is the box inside the side panel.

Upside down with the battery space showing.

The storage capacity would be huge, way more than I initially thought. For size reference, there is a gallon jug of antifreeze, two gallons of coolant, and 2 quarts of oil in the box.

I'm also going to build a mount on my front bumper for my Hi-Lift Jack. I want the additional weight over the front tires for better traction while climbing, while also lowering the COG and freeing up bed space. Pic has the approx. location.

·
Registered
546 Posts
What material are you going to use for the box?

·
Registered
899 Posts
I really miss the side opening box on my old 2008 Ranger. Easy access and big.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The gas tank is on the other side so it should be fairly balanced. I don't foresee more than 30-40 lbs in the box and I can also crank up the spring preload on the center shock on that side if needed. I only weigh 185 lbs, it'd be no different than someone driving who is 230+.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I sort of think the factories leave the unfinished space as a possible location to sell/add an accessory. At the time of production adding a box would cost, lets say $20, most people would not object to that being in the overall cost of the machine due to the added value. But now that you have it and find all the wasted space, the factory (could - as in the case of Kawasaki for example) make a box that fits there and sell it for $300. I often think it is more of a marketing decision than anything else.
I have a box on my machine (different brand) that gives a ton of under the seat storage and find it does not cause any issues with ride or handling in my case, it does however make storing spare items like oil, straps, snatch blocks, about 1000 times easier!
Good luck on your build and not sure how your machine is laid out but but you may want to add a skid plate below if if there is now there from the factory so it does not take an unintended stick/rock.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Is there no longer a factory plastic storage box under the drivers seat? I realize mine is a 2011 800 but I thought the body work was the same?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Be careful putting the High Lifter there and make sure that you don't block the radiator.. I Had the High Lifter up front and temperature shot up to 250 degrees and engine cut out, and coolant spewed all over the machine... Ended up pulling jack off and putting in over bed for remainder of trip.
And that was on day one of the hunt..

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I love the idea of building a box in place of the crappy underseat bucket!

One concern I have or had when I thought about building mine, is access to the oil fill/dipstick.

Polaris went out of their way to route the oilfill to the dirtiest hardest to access place they could find. your box could completely block the access to it...

Otherwise, I think you've got a great and useful project on your hands.!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I forgot all about the oil dipstick, but a holesaw and rubber access plug would take care of it. I do plan on making the box easy to install & remove.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Be careful putting the High Lifter there and make sure that you don't block the radiator.. I Had the High Lifter up front and temperature shot up to 250 degrees and engine cut out, and coolant spewed all over the machine... Ended up pulling jack off and putting in over bed for remainder of trip.
And that was on day one of the hunt..
It will be mounted above the radiator. I usually run with my fan turned on if its warm out, I try to keep the temp around 175-185, I only ever see above 190 if I run with the fan off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts