PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 ranger 900 has a tendency to fishtail in all wheel drive on slick or snow cover roads. Slow speed is no problem, but gets worse as speed increases. My guess is that it's due to how AWD works, rear has to slip for front to engage.
Am I on the right track? And can it be improved? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Just about any vehicle with a locked rear axle will try to swap ends on slippery surfaces.
I installed SVI Traction Control which essentially give you an open rear differential and allows the front wheels to engage when one back wheel spins. The tendency for the rear end to slide around is greatly reduced.
Polaris Ranger Traction Control System | DURACLUTCH

Some members ahve designed and installed their own version to save money. I chose the SVI version becasue it's plug and play with no cutting into the harness, well thought out and easy to install.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Pyromedic! Knowing it's not something wrong, I'll live with it. It's something that if one wasn't expecting it could be a problem.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Can confirm!

I ran into this a lot especially in snow. We had a big snow leaving around 6" on the highway so we went out to "check on folks" and while going up the highway the rear was constantly trying to swap ends with the front. Seeing discussion on here made me dig into the manual, price parts I may burn up and weigh out trying to open the rear differential while in AWD.

I made my own version a few months before SVI came out with their version. After further discussion with the group, pyro was one involved, it was determined that the Diesel is wired differently than the gas versions and it actually made what I did a little easier. Mine is 100% reversible, but doing so on a gas Ranger, at least at the time, was more difficult. Whenever I get around to a new Ranger, there will be two definite mods I do, one is the Duraclutch, the other is the SVI traction control. The gassers were more complex in 2011 and I'm sure more so now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply Dave. I think I'll just live with mine for now, it's not too bad up to about 30 mph on flat ground, and a little worse going up hills. I haven't had mine long enough to know how it works on dry ground and I figure I can run it in turf mode then. We'll see.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bigchid I noticed the same thing driving down a snow packed (icy) road. i Was thinking the back end needed weight (sand bags) but then the engine is more to the back. But on the plus side winter is also over here in Wisconsin so issue will be solved soon!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Snowing here in Soldotna Alaska now, about 2 to 3' on the ground, only 2" is fresh. I started this thread just to be sure there wasn't something wrong with my Ranger ( I'm new to the SXS world, but loving it.)

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
After almost loosing it on snow covered ice, I've ordered the SVI traction control kit. :oops:
I'd like to hear about your experience with it after you have it installed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts