PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
ranger xp 900 cold start problems

i see you've had cold start problems since dec 2012 i have the same machine since oct 2012 i burn 91 octane from fleet farm with 800 miles without any problem . i've plowed all winter. what does polaris say obout this. or your dealer.my warranty is over this week .i also took out the extended warrnaty. hoping polaris to fix the problem you are not the only machine. hoping for a fix. ken.ps john i just talked to antigo yamaha he says when my machine is in for anything they reflash for new updates before it goes out the door, hope it may help.ken.

·
Registered
680 Posts
travellerwiz said:
While I agree %100 with dobber97 and he has obviously researched (or is a Technician) I have to disagree with the no cycle theory. Although theory says you shouldn't require a cycle to build pressure it doesn't seem to pan out in real world. Both the 900 and 800 I test drove needed a cycle or they wouldn't start (at -22C).

One very important thing he said is regarding to fuel.. Make sure you are using 87 octane.. NOT FARM, DYED, RED, PURPLE of subsidized fuel. I own a small engine repair shop and have at least 2 repairs a week due to fuel. I wouldn't call them repairs, because we don't actually do any work except drain the crap fuel and replace with quality regular grade fuel. I then spend an hour convincing the customer that is all we did.. In some cases I've had to drain the good fuel and replace with the bad (usually Red or Purple fuel) to prove my point.

If you live in a very cold climate and have toys, you will know that octane is king when talking about cold starting.

Have your buddy try regular fuel from a high volume station (along with the other advise) and see if the problem goes away.

P.S. If you are wondering "What the hell is RED or PURPLE Fuel". Its something that is unique to Alberta Canada. We allow farmers to buy fuel at a discount for farming use. They put dye in it to differentiate if from normal fuel (so it is RED or PURPLE in color). Every so often we have a "Dip stop" where police dip peoples fuel tanks and write tickets for any non farmer using RED or PURPLE fuel (very large fine $500+). Problem with RED or PURPLE fuel is the octane is about 82 as it is meant for farm tractors or vehicles from the 80s.
here in the states diesel for farm agie use its died red due to less or no tax and a little more sulphur up to 500pm form 15 ppm for highway use

·
Registered
552 Posts
Dealer went through mine. Sounds like all checked out well. Fuel pressure in spec, held over night. Fuel quality good. Compression 205 psi I forget what else they checked.

They did a reflash anyhow. Not sure if it addressed anything or not. I haven't driven it since our trails are total slop.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Has anyone that had a no start cold actually found a cure?

Saturday it was sub zero out and the Ranger was outside as the "garage" at the cabin doubles as a bunkhouse during deer camp. When I went to start it the ECT display read -4°f and I know it was colder than that. It spun over decent fired, ran for a couple seconds then stalled. After that it was very tough to get it to start, but I managed to get it started. It seems that giving it some pedal position while cranking may or may not have helped.

I did note that while cranking the steering warning light came on. I found that odd. Maybe the power steering/speed sensor things are somehow related to starting difficulty.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I didn't read through 11 pages so sorry if this has already been mentioned. I started having problems wit two different cars. They were taking longer to start. With these new computer controlled engines battery voltage is critical to quick trouble free starts. I replaced the batteries and the engines went back to starting right up as before.
Battery voltage will drop some during cold temps and this may be part of the problem with your cold start issues. Try a larger CCA battery next time and see if it helps.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Been watching this thread to see what Polaris comes up with. My 2013 will not start intermittently when the temp is in the teens. Yesterday morning I went to get it out of the trailer and it took forever to get it started. Between this issue and the front diff noise, I am disappointed in the quality of this machine. This is my 3rd Ranger and I have been happy with the other 2 but this one seems to be a lower quality.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did not have the problem all last year and I live in some cold climate. Fishing up on Lake of The Woods several time last year and the temps down to -30F started right up.
This year deer hunting when it got 5F would start and run about 3 seconds then die and will not start after. If you then wait for abotu 15 min it will start, but fussy. Delaer has it so we will see. Thought it was funny he asked if i was running winter fuel, what??? I said no i always run 91 clear, he said that some of your issue 87 oct said it would start better because of the volitility of the fuel.Does not have a problem starting start fine but die's after three seconds or so...... What the heck!! will let you know hat they find out, until then stranded without my wheels/tracks!

·
Registered
552 Posts
This year deer hunting when it got 5F would start and run about 3 seconds then die and will not start after. If you then wait for abotu 15 min it will start, but fussy. Delaer has it so we will see. Thought it was funny he asked if i was running winter fuel, what??? I said no i always run 91 clear, he said that some of your issue 87 oct said it would start better because of the volitility of the fuel.Does not have a problem starting start fine but die's after three seconds or so...... What the heck!! will let you know hat they find out, until then stranded without my wheels/tracks!
This sounds like mine. This year it acted up, but I did manage to get it started. Plenty of cranking speed it would seem so that is not an issue. Compression ratio is plenty high so it has to be a fuel enrichment/calibration thing.

Last year was 91 octane ethanol free. This year variable, but mostly 87 non ethanol. Should start with either octane even 93 without complaints.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did not have the problem all last year and I live in some cold climate. Fishing up on Lake of The Woods several time last year and the temps down to -30F started right up.
I agree with your dealer %100.. Mine was doing exactly the same thing (run for 3 - 15 seconds and die, need to wait 10 - 15min before it would restart).. It still had old premium fuel from late fall. Once that was used up and I refilled with regular 87 it hasn't done it since. We have had some real cold days too (-32C).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Funny, mine sounds like the exact same story as wavewacker. Last year it started up fine in cold weather, and this year i have had some issues. I was out ice fishing on friday and when we got to the lake it didnt want to run. Finally got it running and took off to our fishing spot. About three hours in i decided to warm up the machine. I turned the key on and the engine light came on, and the fuel pump sound was a fast intermitent wine (beep, beep, beep....) rather than a solid wine for about 2 sec. Turned the key off, and back on and same thing. Did that a couple times and it all of a sudden turned back to normal starting sound with no engine light and it fired up....What do you think that was all about???

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey has anyone found a fix for this? My dad and both have a xp900 and mine starts fine in the cold and his does not. Anything below 15*F his wont start. Push it in the garage for an hour and let it warm up and it is perfectly fine. The dealer has no clue what is wrong with it.

Here is my thought.... I told my dad next time this happens. Get a heat gun or hair dryer and flip up the seat and put some heat (carefully) on the ECU and see if it is an ECU temp issue. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Mine has been better this year or so it seems. The other day I had a rescue mission to free my stuck tractor. I started it up inside at 34°f backed out and left it idle a couple of minutes while I loaded up a couple of chains. After I was loaded I jumped in and shut it off to make a phone call for assistance. When done I went to start it back up and it did not want to go. I ended up 2 footing it to give it some throttle or it would not go. Seemed flooded to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 900 and the last two evenings it would not start. It was like the battery was dead, although it was charged. Turn the key and there is nothing, although my interior light would work. No head lights, no power steering, no 4x4. I got an E code on the dash. When I would turn the key the fuel pump also would not cycle. Also about 50% of the time the power steering pump would not work and the light would omit on the dash. Then randomly on try number 25ish the fuel pump ran and it fired right up and worked fine. It was -15F outside. I was thinking it was possibly water in my fuel lines, but it seems to be more of an ECU issue??? Very frustrating on the middle of a frozen lake and your new $25000 investment won't start. My dealer has never heard of this and I am bringing it in tomorrow morning. It has started fine multiple times tonight after it has gotten warmed up. Any ideas or suggestions??

101 - 116 of 116 Posts