PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I'm Dave and I'm a PRC addict.
I've been kicking around on here for quite a while now and have found there is an incredible amount of information on most any topic. I've scattered a few posts here and there but thought it would be cool to organize my modifications and rides in a project thread. I like to fabricate things so I really dig scouring the build threads and seeing everyone's ideas, projects, modifications and adventures.

Here's mine...
I have to rewind a bit to start my Ranger story. I've been an adrenaline junkie my whole life. I've mainly counted on Snowmobiling for my "fix" for about the last 15 years. In 2015 a couple buddies bought Ranger XP's mainly to help with chores on their property. That diddnt seem fair, I have some property, I want one too!
In June 2015 was in Hawaii sitting by the pool, celebrating my 28th wedding anniversary, bumping around on Craigslist when I came across this ad...

image.png

I thought Hey, $13,799 for a Deluxe, that's a good deal!
Although I was on vacation, and the dealer was in Ontario Oregon, a 7 hour drive once I got home to South West Washington, I immediately started trying to make the deal from over 3000 miles away. I called all the dealers closer to my home to see if they could come close to that price, they were all around $16,000.
The dealership wouldn't take a credit card at that price and couldn't (wouldn't) make the deal without signatures for the rebates which were ending the next day (July 1st). After a lot of begging they agreed to take a credit card for a deposit and they would let me know what the rebates were for July. I ended up paying $200 more but I was still delighted.
A few days later I got home from Hawaii and immediately took off in the truck to claim my prize.

image.png

The next morning I was on my way way home as the proud owner of a brand new 2015 Ranger 900xp Vouge Silver Deluxe.

image.jpg

Let the adventures begin!

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Cool! Love build threads! Looking forward to seeing what you've done!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Looking forward to updated pics.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Nice looking ride. X2 on the pics.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'll start by getting the build up to date. I've posted some of this in other threads, if it's a foul to post it again here throw a flag.

It quickly became apparent that Rangers need armor to protect the rockers and the underbelly. The first trip to the forest I tore the heck out of the rockers and pulled lots of branches out from under the seats. There are lots of quality products out there,
but I like to build things and I wanted something that looks like it was suppose to be there. I fabricated these out of a piece of
1 1/2" rigid steel conduit and steel from a retired oil tank.

image.jpeg

These stock rocker supports are really cheesy and were already bent up

image.jpeg

I replaced them by extending the square tube the full length of the rockers and built a sturdy gusset to support the back.

image.jpeg

Here's the completed skid plate. I made it in 2 pieces and secured it with stock style washers. I found stainless ones on eBay for 1/4 the cost of OEM.

image.jpeg

·
Registered
651 Posts
Nice looking skid plate!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once the armor was in place it was time for wheels and tires. I chose to go with 28" tires to keep power loss to a minimum, and to keep from having to add a lift. I will be running tracks in the winter and want to keep the overall height of the machine down so I can fit it in a toy hauler.
I wanted a good all purpose tire... Smooth on the road, DOT approved, durable sidewalls, good traction in the woods, and I wanted something that wouldn't tear up the yard. Although they are a fairly new tire with few reviews I went with 28x10x14 Tusk Terrabites on 14x7 STI HD5 Beadlock wheels with a 5+2 offset so it diddnt add any width to the Ranger. So far I love the combination. I was also pleasantly surprised that the Terrabites were true to size.

image.jpeg

In order to fit the tires I went with SATV forward a arms. I fabricated and welded brackets for the tracks to mount to to the a arms and painted them with Cheverolet orange ceramic engine paint to match the accents on the Ranger. I installed better quality zerks and punched some washers out of some gasket material and used loctite to properly clock them. I'm happy with the a arms and the added clearance is great.

image.jpeg

Unfortunately I have a bit of rubbing on the front bumper and the plastic just behind the bumper. I'm determined to fix it without a lift and without compromising the suspension travel or the ride. Has anyone took a stab at this?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: 3rdgen

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cut a piece of plexiglass for a temporary windshield, it made it through the summer but was starting to get scratched up and it broke coming home on the freeway Labor Day weekend. My plan is to fabricate a custom glass windshield with a wiper and washer for winter.
The back window is a lock and ride.
The top is a piece of white plexiglass, so far I like it. It is lightweight, low profile, and let's lots of light in.

image.jpg

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's an aluminum tool box I picked up on eBay for $112.95 shipped! I really like how it fits in the bed and I should be able to fit everything we need for day trips.

image.jpeg

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts
Looks good Dave! Just something else to consider... Regular Plexigass is usually made from acrylic (polyacrylate) and it scratches, yellows, and breaks pretty easily. However, Lexan (polycarbonate) is a whole lot stronger and more scratch resistant. The next step up from Lexan is MR10 coated ("Hard-coated") Lexan. As you can see in the charts below, MR10 is almost 200 X more impact resistant than glass although is is not quite as scratch resistant. But it is nearly as scratch resistant as glass. Several folks have reported using wipers on MR10 without any scratching--probably wouldn't want to use a wiper to remove mud, but for snow and rain, it should hold up very well. Of course, Lexan will flex more than glass so for a full windshield you would probably want at least 1/4". I have MR10 1/2 windshields on both of my machines, 5 years on my 800 and 3 years on my RZR--both are still scratch free.

lexan impact.JPG lexan mr10 abrasion.JPG

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Forde!
Great information, I'll see if I can find a source for a sheet of MR10.
Living in Washington I definitely need a windshield wiper.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Looks good! fswan is right, Lexan is the way to go. Cost more but, you save money in the long run.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, I may have found a source for 60"x32" sheets of MR-10, I'm waiting on a quote for shipping.

Does anyone have experiance with windshield wipers on MR10 Lexan?

I'm also curious about how Lexan will behave in freezing temperatures with a defrost duct blowing on it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a guy in Florida selling 5'x8'x 1/4" sheets of MR-10 on eBay. I can think of a lot of projects I could use this for but the shipping is big bucks for full sheets. He will cut a sheet into 3- 60"x32" pieces and ship them across the country for $355. If I order more and ship it at the same time it's cheaper yet.

Is there anyone here in the Pacific Northwest that wants in if I order some?

I am still concerned about winter use. I will be putting the tracks on and using the Ranger in the mountains in a couple months.
Has anyone used MR-10 with a windshield wiper? What about using an ice scraper on it?

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
If running a windshield wiper is a must why not spend the extra bucks on the polaris windshield and wiper set up. It is pretty awesome and the fit and finish is the cleanest your going to find.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Happy New Year!
Boy did I loose track of time, 2 years have gone by since I’ve posted a project.
I’ve been busy doing life and just got back to ranger projects.
I ended up buying that sheet of MR10 and built a nice windshield I’ve been using for the last couple years.
It’s been great except it pops back at high speeds and I have to remove it when trailering.
I stumbled across a wiper ready Polaris glass windshield on Craigslist, picked it up for $250.
I promptly installed it and that inspired me to look into a windshield wiper. I just couldn’t Stomach the $500 for the Polaris wiper so I searched the threads for what others have used. I really didn’t find much becides manual wipers I wanted a quality power wiper and a nice fit is important. I found a rear wiper assembly off a Ford Escape that looked like it might work nicely. I bought the whole rear window with the complete wiper assembly for $40. Here’s how the install went...

43999CCA-48CF-4C25-BFA9-050377B1E677.jpg
This is how it looked once I removed it from the Ford Escape rear window.

46FF0300-2532-4108-9C3F-8D03DFC71043.png
I built a bracket so it would mount in the factory holes in the Polaris windshield

769A299F-AE7A-49C5-A462-B6D66954B4B7.jpg
I think it looks like it is suppose to be there.

C4F0D351-C3BE-4D0E-9077-51E715C2419D.jpg
I lengthened the Ford wiper arm and bought a 16” inch wiper blade. This will provide good coverage and it parks on the passenger side.

I tested it and it looks like it will work great, I’ll get it wired up to a switch and I also have a washer install, stay tuned...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts