PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Polaris Ranger Crew XP1000 Backcountry
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright gents, I'm new to posting here on the forum. I live up in Alaska and I've been around to several dealers in the past few weeks and it just so happens that the very last backcountry in my area sold this past week. I went to the dealer in Anchorage (also, if any of you Alaska folk on here have a recommendation for WHICH dealer to choose, that would be great.. though I really like the guy at anchorage polaris) ... anyways, the dealer said I could get close to the same performance/clearance with 14 inch wheels and 30'' tires. I am not going to pretend to be an expert on this, I have only ridden four wheelers for the majority of my life and none of them are what you would classify as "new". This is my first big toy purchase and I'm looking for some expertise.

He suggested 30'' system 3 tires to gain a bit more clearance along with all the usual stuff. Half doors, glass windshield/rear panel, roof, rock sliders, winch ... etc.

Long story short, will these tires make the difference/cut it up here? The rig will be used for general trail rides up here with all alaska has to offer and hopefully make life a little easier during hunting season.

Also, we're looking at a 4-6 week wait on a special order unit from the lower 48 if I were to try to get my hands on a backcountry edition and obviously I don't want to wait 6 weeks for my rig (summer doesn't last forever up here.) The dealer also told me that he isn't even able to order one right now due to COVID ruining everyone's fun.

Thanks in advance. ANY advice is appreciated because these things aren't cheap and I don't want to make the wrong decision.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Wouldn't trust the dealer with that info. 30s will rub. I'm not sure on all the specs of the backcountry. If you can do without the snorkels, (can add them later if a must have) buy a set of aftermarket arched a-arms(like the backcountry), a Marshall motor 2 1/2 lift or ranger prolift and a set of 28 inch tires for your stock rims. You'll have way more clearance than a stock backcountry. That should have you sitting right at a true 15" ground clearance. Slapping on a heavy set of 30's and rims isn't the answer.
Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
2020 highlifter crew
71 Posts
My highlifter has the same a arms as a back country, comes with 28” mudders, I have 15/1/2” clearance with my shocks up one notch from bottom, I can clear 30s no problem and probably 32s if I turn up my suspension or move the shocks to the outside.

I was going to buy the back country, but for the little extra money, the highlifter comes with so much more!

Front and rear bumpers
Half doors ($3,000 alone)
28” outlaw 2 mud tires on nice 14” rims
Heavier duty springs for more weight

I don’t know for sure if the back country has a totally heavier drivetrain like the highlifter..

You can’t purchase this stuff after and put it on and be ahead..

The stock xp1000 is 18,000 msrp, the highlifter is 4,000 more, the half doors alone are 3,000!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Abernathy's in Tenn has the backcountry crew in stock. Or text them to find out. Google maps says Union City to Anchorage is 2 days 17 hrs. Drive down. Buy a trailer and crew , sell the trailer when you get back to Alaska. You'd have your machine in 7 days instead of 6 weeks.
And I agree with Jcoon. The backcountry comes with the forward A arms and arched A arms already. 30" rubber will give you the lift you need to get back to the moose or caribou.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Getting from Alaska through Canada and into the lower 48 is a bit tricky from what I've heard right now, sounded like a 2 week quarantine once in Canada then another 2wk once back into the states.

·
Registered
2020 Ranger Northstar Crew Ultimate
53 Posts
I ordered a north star crew ultimate beginning of April. It’s still not here. There weren’t any in stock anywhere. Apparently they are being built in different factories than usual. Because some states are still not allowed to work.

·
Registered
81 Posts
As for the 30s fitting without a lift - I doubt it. The dealer should also have told you that you’re much more likely to break axles with the bigger tires. I was also interested in the Backcountry because of it coming w arched arms and snorkels. I more or less changed my mind when I saw one though. The snorkels and the cut out part of the box are flimsy and in the way of whatever you load in the box. I guarantee if you haul moose you’ll get back to camp missing pieces. Also the winch wiring, which with that model I assume comes from the factory, was flopping around not secured very well. And the two stop wires to the fair lead are just plain silly - they’ll break when you go through the first brush. Then there’s the lack of a storage compartment underneath the passenger seat. I think they used to have one but now you’re supposed to put a bucket there - CHEAP!
As for dealers, it depends where you are, but my favorite is DELTA POWER SPORTS, with HATCHERS being a close second.
I’ll probably catch some s__t here, but after seeing the issues just mentioned and the general fit and finish of the machine, I’m leaning toward a Can Am Mossey Oak edition.

·
Registered
2020 Polaris Ranger Crew XP1000 Backcountry
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies guys, I ended up getting my hands on one here in Eagle River.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts