PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fist off let me say there are some excellent ideas on here. I’ve often lurked through the forum but this is my first post. Here goes it.

I’ve decided to build some doors to completely close in the cab on my crew. They are made out of 3/4” 14 gauge sq tubing. They are skinned with 16 gauge sheet metal. I live in south Texas so they will need to be easily removable for warm weather riding. I’m planning on using bullet style weld on hinges similar to these

First thing I had to do was build a tubing bender. After all this is going to be a budget build. Here’s what I came up with.

I’ll post a video of how it works if someone is interested in that later.
Here some pics of the doors framework

There was a learning curve with the bender. It took me roughly 2-3 hrs per door.
Now I was ready to start skinning them. I’m still not sure how my idea for hinge location is going to work out so I want to complete on side before I start framing the other. Just Incase I need to change up the design a little.
Here’s one side fully skinned and ready to be hung on hinges.

So far this is where I’m at. I’m pretty excited to see it all coming together and can’t wait to get back after it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Wow! Love to see more of the bender. Also, what rubber is the ranger riding on?

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts
That looks great so far! ...and welcome to PRC!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nice work! I think your hinges will be fine if you can set them in line with each other. It's hard to see a straight line on the front of those doors. That'll make it a little tougher but you seem to have skills.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Very nicely done cl! :encouragement:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Very nice, good to see those fab skills.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Really nice job. Good design.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Awesomeness!!! .......How lite are they? I have the factory Full Steel cab with Canvas doors on my 800HD. I went with the canvas doors because I thought they were lighter and they would be easier to remove when I needed. Do you have a Cab heater? or plan on one? Just curious.......Awesomeness!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesomeness!!! .......How lite are they? I have the factory Full Steel cab with Canvas doors on my 800HD. I went with the canvas doors because I thought they were lighter and they would be easier to remove when I needed. Do you have a Cab heater? or plan on one? Just curious.......Awesomeness!!!
Thanks bud. There not terribly heavy. About 30#. To be honest with you. For the amount of time I’ll have them on my buggy (about 3mos/yr) It probably would have been smarter to just skin them in canvas. However I had enough sheet metal laying around to cover two of the doors and I thought it would be a cool build.
I don’t have a cab heater but I have been researching them a little. I may try one of the 12v ceramic defrost units first if I can find them cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Awesome job. I know it's been a while since you have completed your doors.
How are they working out for you?
Do you get many rattles from them?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually I haven’t finished them yet. I actually haven’t worked on them in months. Between work and my kids sports I’ve been running ragged. As soon as things slow down I get back after it and post some updates.
Thanks for the encouragement fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Yes updates for sure, looks awesome.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts